Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 27th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

This is why I homecook-yet another Diamond Foods recall

The recall is "voluntary", though, IMO should be mandatory. These people just can't seem to get their $%^t together. This is why I will never feed any of my babies ToTW or any other food made by Diamond:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...call-expanded/

On April 26, 2012, Diamond Pet Foods has announced the company is expanding its dog food recall to include one production run of Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula dry dog food.

Apparently, one bag of the product has tested positive for Salmonella bacteria.

The recall of four production codes of Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula is being conducted as a precautionary measure.

No dog illnesses have been reported.

What Products Are Affected

Distributed in These Ten States

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula dry dog food is manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods and was distributed in Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia.

And these same agents may have further distributed the product to other states, through pet food channels.

The company is working directly with distributors and retailers who carry these products to remove them from the supply chain.

The company goes on to warn:

Pets with Salmonella infections may have decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. If left untreated, pets may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.

Individuals handling dry pet food can become infected with Salmonella, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with surfaces exposed to this product. Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, people who are more likely to be affected by Salmonella include infants, children younger than 5 years old, organ transplant patients, people with HIV/AIDS and people receiving treatment for cancer.

And they should also mention that pets with immune issues, like my Nookie, can also become very ill, and even die from Salmonella.

What to Do

Consumers who have purchased Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula dry dog food with these production codes and best before dates should discard the product.

For more information about this recall, consumers should contact Diamond Pet Foods at 800-442-0402.

Or visit http://www.chickensoupforthepetlover...om/information.

You can report complaints about FDA-regulated pet food products by calling the consumer complaint coordinator in your area.

Or go to http://www.fda.gov/petfoodcomplaints.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:30 PM

Rguerts, I only just found out about this today. We have been feeding TOTW for a while now and this is the first problem we've had, but I will definitely not be going back. It's unacceptable. We had one of the bags that had been recalled and, last week, Keely was sick with diarrhea. We took her to the vet and she's been on the mend every since - pretty much back to normal today. They say that, as long as she's doing better, we shouldn't worry anymore. Connor didn't have any problem, but it may just be because he is much healthier than Keely in general. I don't know what to do now because I really don't feel that homecooking is feasible for us now given our schedules, and having the dogs in two different houses (I've just moved back to NL for work - living with my Mom for a bit - and SO is coming later in June with Keely). I'm going to have to pick a new brand ASAP. Any suggestions? Also, I have no clue about good pet food stores in this area. Sigh.
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry Keely got sick... you must have been so worried about her! Hugs to you both
I'm glad she's feeling better and making a good recovery. Nookies immune system wouldn't be able to handle it either.

If you want to stick with a kibble, we give Nookie Addiction-Salmon Bleu once in awhile. The home cooked alone just doesn't cut it for maintaining his weight. It's an Australian Company and they have their own dedicated plants in Australia and the U.S. They are known for novel proteins and limited ingredients for dogs that have sensitivities/allergies, but are AAFCO compliant for all life stages. We have been using it for about 4 months now and Nookie and Montana are both good on it. They have never been part of any recall and don't use any ingredients sourced from China. There's always a "risk" with any commercial food because it isn't regulated, but this one seems to be pretty good. The only thing I don't like is they don't use any pre or probiotics, but we give Nookie Forti-Flora daily anyway, and will probably start Montana on it too, so it's ok. These are the ingredients in the Salmon Bleu:

Salmon Meal, Potatoes, Chicken Fat (Naturally preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Smoked Salmon, Dried Blueberries, Dried Cranberries, Dried Raspberries, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Kelp Meal, Flaxseed Meal, Calcium Propionate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), D-Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5), Thiamine (Vitamin B1), Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement

With added:
- Smoked Salmon for that extra gourmet taste dogs love
- Raspberries with unique phytonutrient content rich in Vitamins B & C
- Glucosamine for joint health

No:
- Grain
- By products, Fillers, Corn, Wheat, Soy, Artificial Colors and Flavorings

And this is the website:

http://www.addictionfoods.com/canada/

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:41 PM

This is why I use Acana, Champion Pet food products, locally sourced and produced foods (at least that is what they advertise). Also supports Canadian business, and not using fillers and other products which have probably flown around the world to get processed. I suggest looking at the FAQ on Champion Pet food's site they are based in Alberta as well which decreases the food's environmental impact.
Old May 11th, 2012, 05:25 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I really wish I could buy the Addiction-Salmon Bleu, Robyn, knowing how much research you must have done to find it... but it seems it isn't being sold in Newfoundland, according to their site.

I was thinking either Acana or Orijen, as I know they are Canadian-made. I'm going to go look at their information now. We don't have any allergies (thus far!) but they do really well on a salmon-based food as Connor has a sensitive tummy.

Any other suggestions would be welcome
Old May 11th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Senior Contributor

cell, Nookie can't have Orijen or Acana. Dr. Marsden helped to formulate them, so I know it's good food, but he can't that high of protein. They have lower protein like the Acana Lamb and Apple, but it has oats, which we're pretty sure he is allergic to now. He has so many allergies/intolerances which include Chicken, eggs and carrots along with the oats and also barley. So it was a long search for something we could give him that didn't include any of the above, and wasn't produced by Diamond foods or any mass manufacturer.

Serena, there was only 1 store in the entire Edmonton area that carried it, but it's very easy to order. I have 3 places I deal with, and all 3 of them now carry it for me. Maybe check with some of the local shops.

Old May 11th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Rgeurts, thanks for this info. Halo eats TOTW Sierra Mountain...I can't remember, the lamb based line. I checked the recall list and so far the bag I have isn't on it, and she's fine.

I was looking at the ingredients that you listed for your food and it has chicken fat - Halo is very chicken sensitive and reacts to poultry fats! The vet had told me that wouldn't happen, but it does for us. Darn.

Serenalamb, sorry Keely was sick with this. Glad to hear she's doing better though.

I buy my dog food from a small independant pet store, I like to try to support the local merchants. At first he didn't carry my brand, but when I asked him to bring it in for me he did. Sometimes you just need to ask and if possible they will accommodate you. At first he didn't carry any and only ordered it when I asked for it, now he has a full stock of the TOTW. Oops, I'm going to have to change brands I guess. Halo also had a problem with the higher protein products, she's just too lazy for so much protein I guess.
Old May 11th, 2012, 12:36 PM

I went ahead and bought the 6 Fish Orijen formula. We were getting desperate because Connor wouldn't eat more than a few bites of the Beneful that my Mom had at her house (thank dog!). Hahah. So he hadn't really eaten much since we arrived on Wednesday at midnight. He just ate almost a half cup of the Orijen when I put it in front of him. So either he likes it or he was just hungry!

We'll see how they do on it. I know it's a fairly trusted brand, but it is a lot higher in protein than the TOTW. Keely doesn't have any kidney issues yet and we don't have any allergies to deal with. Keeping my fingers crossed that it works out!