Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old April 9th, 2006, 10:15 PM

Dog friendly grass alternatives??

Has anyone found a good grass alternative that's dog friendly and is good for S. Ontario?

A few yrs ago I ripped out all of the grass in my front & made the whole yard a low maintenance garden - shrubs, perennials, evergreens, and of course, a few annuals, with cedar chips in the 'in btwn' areas...

I'm thinking about doing the same for my backyard - but am having problems trying to come up with a 'dog friendly' design. Ideally, I'd love to rip out all of the grass (HATE cutting it!!!) and put in something a bit more eco friendly & pretty.

Have seen some 'step-ables' that are supposed to be good alts, but the garden centres have no idea if they would stand up to a dog tearing around the yard.

I need something 'durable', green year round & dense enough to minimize tracking dirt in the house, and can tolerate the dog going to the washroom on it. My yard is ~ 60'x30', w/ grass in the centre, and flower/shrub beds around the outside.
BTW - I foster - & I usually get the young, active guys.....so, design needs to count on me having untrained, possible diggers, and typically the med-larger dogs....

Has anyone tried this or have any idea which ones may/may not work?
Any idea about potential re-sale issues if I rip out the grass???

Thanks,
C.
Old April 9th, 2006, 11:27 PM

I tried to find the name of it, but last year I was researching the same thing and there was one sort of mossy one that had blue flowers every now and then that spread well and was supposed to be robust... I can't find my little paper with the name anywhere...

Some people say clover, but in my experience with dogs, clover doesn't last a minute.

We're probably going to go with little rocks or something (we're both really allergic to grass and Jemma is too... )
Old April 10th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Its not exactly the answer you're looking for, but the "grass" we have on the bald butt prairie out here is basically whatever was growing in the field, mowed down until it began to fill in and then started to look like a lawn . . . . . because its so "natural," the dogs can't seem to hurt it no matter what they're pooping or peeing.

I call it "Nature's Answer."

However, I know there are probably better answers than this one!!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old April 10th, 2006, 05:19 PM

that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for.....only I'm not sure how to achieve that kind of illusion....in the city.....surrounded by 6' (chain link!) fences.....houses within arms reach on both sides......nosey neigbhours....screaming kids down the street....:sad:

...guess I'll have to stick with the perriwinkle (is that what u were thinking about, Prin?)

...such a beautiful picture Rick....

C.
Old April 10th, 2006, 08:12 PM

No idea... lol