Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 2nd, 2003, 03:42 PM

dog gets up too early? help?

our small dog is year old and insists on getting up when the sun rises, ( and whines till we get up ) we dont get up until 8 am, how can we train the dog not to whine or get us up untill we are ready ? thanks for any help
Old June 10th, 2003, 03:54 PM

Can you give me some more information about the dogs/your routine? What time does the dog start the whining? What is your response to it? Were is the dog when he starts this? I think I can help you with a little more information.
Old June 10th, 2003, 10:06 PM

johnnydog, do you crate your dog at night? Where does it sleep? If you respond to your dog's whining in any way, he is getting a response to his behaviour - so he will continue! You need to train him that whining in the morning is a waste of time, so this means you must ignore him. (If you have kids, it means the kids must not respond either.)

If you don't have a crate for your dog, you should get one. It really is a good thing for both you and your dog as it caters to their den instincts and it will help you get your proper rest.

My dog Tawny (did you guess her name?) will walk into her crate at night (or whenever she is tired) to sleep. When we first got her, she whined and yelped EARLY! in the morning - 4:30am! My wife responded by getting up to see to her. I told her she was only training the dog whine and yelp at 4:30am because she was giving her a response. My wife ignored my comments for almost two weeks until she was totally exhausted. She then went back to her regular routine (get up just before 6am). After this, Tawny whined and yelped for about a week. Now, Tawny is quiet as a mouse until we come downstairs, even on w/ends when we usually sleep in until 7am.

When Tawny was in this training period, I was very thankful that we live in a 2-storey house, and Tawny was in the main floor laundry room with the door closed, and we had the door closed on our bedroom.

johnnydog, your dog will probably have a longer time to adjust to the new schedule since it has to unlearn the old behaviour. Stick to your guns and your dog will adjust. (Use ear plugs if you have to.) Good luck!