Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 14th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh NO!

Well, I've gone and done it. I was online and started our search for GSD puppies. Now, I'm a firm believer in rescuing dogs from the HS, but because Bear is an adult, we would feel better introducing a puppy to Bear, rather than an adult dog.

So, I went to the Upper Credit Humane Society website, and they have 7 nine week old German Shepherd pups up for adoption. How am I going to convince hubby that now is a good time? If you want to see pics, just go the the website and click on dog adoption. I need to approach hubby carefully about this, as we thought we'd wait till spring, but I just can't resist these little guys!!!!
Old December 14th, 2004, 10:26 AM

I think that they were talking about these little guys on the radio this morning.

They are running out of room at the shelter's and they are advertising quite a bit.

I hope you that you are able to convince... and that you get one!
Old December 14th, 2004, 10:40 AM

I don't know if you've ever experienced a GSD before, but you won't regret getting one! Super smart, but mischevieous enough to keep it interesting. They'll push your buttons just because they can. Having an older dog, that's trained, will help you IMMENSLY with training a GSD pup.

I went and took a look at the HS website. Beautiful little pups! I wish you luck with the hubby!
Old December 14th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks. We have discussed getting another dog, as our current dog is extremely social and LOVES other dogs (except for small breeds-he was attacked by one when he was a pup), we were hoping to wait until spring, but for some reason GSD pups are hard to come by, and I'm reluctant to let one pass by.

I don't necessarily have to have a purebred, but we do love GSDs (and any other large breed dog). I just hate the idea of puppy training in the winter months (I still have vivid memories of standing on our deck at 3am in a blizzard cheering because Bear went poopie outside). Must have been quite a sight, I imagine!
Old December 14th, 2004, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsmom
I just hate the idea of puppy training in the winter months (I still have vivid memories of standing on our deck at 3am in a blizzard cheering because Bear went poopie outside). Must have been quite a sight, I imagine!
Must bear a striking resemblance to me this morning. -15 and standing there going "go poopy Diamond. Hurry up....mommmy's cold and has to go to work." What does she do? Play with her pail, soccer ball, squeaky, sticks, rocks...anything but go poopy! 45 minutes later....success! I know EXACTLY what you mean!
Old December 14th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Good to know I'm not alone. It's hardest to convince them that they need to come back inside right after...
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:04 PM

You too huh? Let them out....they go pee/poop, then spend an hour running around like crazy beasts. You try to get them to come in, it's like you've just told them if they come near the door, the door will bite them! Diamond has a tendancy to lay down in the middle of the yard, just to let you know she's not budging. She certainly has a stubborn streak.
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdDiamond
Must bear a striking resemblance to me this morning. -15 and standing there going "go poopy Diamond. Hurry up....mommmy's cold and has to go to work." What does she do? Play with her pail, soccer ball, squeaky, sticks, rocks...anything but go poopy! 45 minutes later....success! I know EXACTLY what you mean!
That is exactly why Cano goes out to play in the front yard, and is brought out into the back yard to do his business. He knows that when he is in the back yard, it is potty time.

I hope you get hubby to let you get your puppy. I haven't looked at them yet, but going to right now.
Old December 14th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Nope

Got vetoed. Rats. Will keep pestering as I need to remind him that I didn't squawk when he got his stupid 56" big screen tv.....
Old December 14th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Good luck with that! Go getem!!
Old December 14th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor

He is eternally the voice of reason. With Christmas around the corner, 3 weeks in Florida in February, perhaps it is best to wait.

Perhaps I'll tell him that the next time he wants one of those "big ticket" items!

Kind of ticked off right now, I don't like to be told "NO"