Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old May 10th, 2008, 08:45 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Just thought I'd let anyone interested know...the pine shavings are working wonderfully for my kitties. I still have the clay litter in 2 litterboxes in the catuary and the shavings outside and in one litterbox. They haven't used the clay litter in weeks!
I tried the WM brand of pine pellets..Precious Kitty or something like that. I like it but there is sawdust all over the floors in the kitchen. The little ones are tracking it all over. Will have to try either the more expensive stuff or try the shavings in here too.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 10th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks for the update 14+kitties

I actually wanted to update too

Right now im doing a mix of pine fresh and swheat scoop and if pine fresh on its own (when i finish what ihave of swheat scoop) is not satisfactory to me I will definately stick with the mixture!

Why?

A) Pine fresh is waaaay cheaper than swheat scoop - comparable to clumping clay litter

B) U know how with swheat scoop the clumps are kinda gummy/not so solid/stick to the bottom/sides of the box like cement? Well with the mix of pine fresh in there this problem is no more!! Nothing sticks! All of the waste is solid fast. Even if you scoop swheat scoop regularly so that nothing becomes cement-like, if they are massive diggers and pee near the bottom it gets kinda gummy when ure scooping it out fresh...again no more.

C) It doesnt smell too piney at all, especially if mixed in w swheat scoop.

If anything at all I reccomend swheat scoop users to try mixing in even 25% pine fresh with swheat scoop to cut down on costs and improve litter quality It's a win-win really. My cats are none the wiser.
Old May 10th, 2008, 09:42 PM
head in the clouds

im actually using the Presidents Choice flushable Bio cat litter stuff... as I ran out of pine fresh and that was the closest i could buy... they like it.. it clumps..and not too much of it sticks to lolas long fur!.

now to figure out who's peeing on the litter tray mat thing....
(>'.'<) Zena ~ 14 yrs Calico long hair
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV
Old May 11th, 2008, 03:41 PM

My cat loves the World's Best Cat Litter and other corn based litters. I tried the Swheat Scoop with her a while back and I ended up cleaning up cat pee and poop from everywhere BUT the litterbox. We also tried the pine litters and she would kick all of it out of her box before she'd go inside and do her business, leaving me to sweep up pine stuff from all over the carpet. So I guess you could say she gave all the other stuff a big thumbs down. She also has OCD and doesn't handle change well, so once we found the corn litters and she accepted them, I started buying them in bulk.
Old May 12th, 2008, 12:32 PM
-

14+k - Are you just using regular pine shavings, nothing done to them like what is used for rabbits/gerbils etc? I'm reading all through the thread again and I thought you switched to Feline Fresh
Old May 12th, 2008, 01:52 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Yep Chris. Just regular pine shavings. I wanted something that I could use outside to make it smell a little nicer around the catuary seeing as it's pretty close to where my customers are going to be very soon. They love it! And it is soooo cheap. Big bag 5.25 at TSC. I used a big of the WM stuff in the house here but it is being tracked all over. Still better than clay though.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:41 AM
-

14+k - are the shavings from WM smaller in size than the one from TSC?
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:10 AM
150% PRO S/N

I used the WM brand of pine pellets. I think it's called Special Kitty. I wasn't impressed with it just because it gets tracked all over. The shavings at WM for small animals is the same as I use. Sorry for the confusion. I was in a hurry when I typed that. I should know better.
I am going to try the other pellets in here to see if they get tracked. Growler says they don't so I will try them. I don't know how the kitties will react to the shavings in the house. Also, seeing as I am adopting the babies to my kids I don't want to get too far away from the actual litter shape. I don't want them refusing to use the litter at my kids. I would never hear the end of it. I can't convince them to change to pine yet. But I am working on it!
I think any kind of pine or shavings anything is a better option than clay litter if it is better for the environment.

Old May 13th, 2008, 10:23 AM
-

Thanks 14+K - of course you could always go to your kids places and clean up any litter that is tracked

Does that mean a new Kitty is coming up to Newmarket? (don't know why I said up, Acton is more or less straight, no?)

Last edited by Chris21711; May 13th, 2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: to add something
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:53 PM

My mum is using the Feline Fresh Scoopable for her dainty little girl kitty - no tracking

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:41 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Thanks 14+K - of course you could always go to your kids places and clean up any litter that is tracked

Does that mean a new Kitty is coming up to Newmarket? (don't know why I said up, Acton is more or less straight, no?)

lol Chris! No!! I raised my kids to be self sufficient in every way! They can clean up after their kitties.
As for kitty coming to Newmarket - unfortunately no. That son is in the midst of having to find a new place to live. He also insists that his kitty is too old and set in his ways to accept another kitty. I'm working on it.
So far I have 4, possibly 5 kittens out of the 7 I have adopted. I think there is another litter here yet we haven't found.
Grimsby is down from Newmarket btw. I get confused with directions so I just say I am going.

Old May 14th, 2008, 08:43 AM
-

For some reason I thought you was in Acton, I think Grimsby is SW. Still no luck finding the other litter? Hopefully she will start bringing them around with her once they are eating solids.

Is your Son looking to stay in the area. If he is renting then the local paper generally has quite a few listings.
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:10 PM
150% PRO S/N

Yep, he has been working at a shop in that area for quite some time now. Problem with a lot of those places is his budget. He is lousy with money; can't save a penny. His landlady is being good at the moment and not rushing him into another place. She just says as soon as possible. She wants to move her dad into the apartment my son is in.
And I think he uses clay litter. (Gotta keep this somewhat on topic )