Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old May 9th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Ok I am bummed out

I didnt want to post this but I am officially bummed out.

On Saturday I was told I would be training for a new position at work.
On Sunday I went grocery shopping as I was starting a new diet and felt positive about this new position. I ended up spending $350.00 on groceries which I have never done in my life, but oh well its for the good of my body. Got home Joey ate my steak - and I broke my Margarita Glass that I just bought and I hadnt it even used yet. No big deal then I discover that no I am not training for my new position - they have decided to fire me with no explanation at all - I had to contact them to find out. Found out later it was another employee that did the dirty work - dont want to go into details - but I am not taking it lying it down - definately things went on the werent on the up and up. I do not want my job back but I wont be screwed over either. I have since blocked all contact with them blocking their numbers/emails everything. Also told them I would report them to employee standards if I did not receive my pay within 48 hours - the told me I would have to wait to next pay day. By law they have to pay me within 48 hours.

It is my birthday today (whopee) So now I am unemployed - my mom just phoned to wish me happy birthday and asked how my job was going - I couldnt tell her the truth so I lied and said its going fine - :sad: . Then she had to ask how old I was - and it was like - really your that old - I cant believe your that old -gee thanks.

As a last resort I could go back to my old job - but I feel ashamed its like I am back the other one didnt work out.

So that my birthday - sorry to whine - I feel like smoking too but I wont.
On a positive note I did take Joey for a walk - worked out and have stayed focused on the "body of life for human" book.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Honest Contributor

well despite everything, the sun is shining, you are alive and healthy, joey loves you (specially after that steak right? ) and there is a lot to live for! screw that job, after they pay you look towards the future and to that dream job waiting just around the corner for you.

in the meantime HAPPY BIRTHDAY and enjoy this guilt-free, zero calorie birthday cake!!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey.E.CockersMommy
I didnt want to post this but I am officially bummed out.

On Saturday I was told I would be training for a new position at work.
On Sunday I went grocery shopping as I was starting a new diet and felt positive about this new position. I ended up spending $350.00 on groceries which I have never done in my life, but oh well its for the good of my body. Got home Joey ate my steak - and I broke my Margarita Glass that I just bought and I hadnt it even used yet. No big deal then I discover that no I am not training for my new position - they have decided to fire me with no explanation at all - I had to contact them to find out. Found out later it was another employee that did the dirty work - dont want to go into details - but I am not taking it lying it down - definately things went on the werent on the up and up. I do not want my job back but I wont be screwed over either. I have since blocked all contact with them blocking their numbers/emails everything. Also told them I would report them to employee standards if I did not receive my pay within 48 hours - the told me I would have to wait to next pay day. By law they have to pay me within 48 hours.

It is my birthday today (whopee) So now I am unemployed - my mom just phoned to wish me happy birthday and asked how my job was going - I couldnt tell her the truth so I lied and said its going fine - :sad: . Then she had to ask how old I was - and it was like - really your that old - I cant believe your that old -gee thanks.

As a last resort I could go back to my old job - but I feel ashamed its like I am back the other one didnt work out.

So that my birthday - sorry to whine - I feel like smoking too but I wont.
On a positive note I did take Joey for a walk - worked out and have stayed focused on the "body of life for human" book.
That is an extraordinary tale . . . . . sorry to hear the bad news after the highest of highs.

I don't know what business you're in but I think you've got a case against an employer who would promise you what seemed like a promotion one day and fires you the next.

Best wishes. And, my only lecture, its probably not a good idea to fib to your mom.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Aw! Well happy birthday anyway!!! I hope it gets better!! And I don't think you should go back to oyur old job - start new with your new bod and a new outlook
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry for you that things have turned out so badly today. That really sucks. But yes, Joey loves you and so do we

Remember that all things happen for a reason - stay focused on the good things you are doing and a new door will open for you. Have you been long with your employer? Would they be required to give you a severance package with your notice? Check out the Employment Standards info on the web if you are not sure.

Stay proud and stay strong birthday girl - we're all pulling for you. And go ahead and have your margarita in a plain old glass!!!
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I'm so sorry to hear that. I don't know what to say to make you feel better. I will however say, that I definitely agree with the others that you shouldn't go back to your old job. I just remember that you were miserable there. I always say to people who get stressed out about their job that it's just a job. There's no point in letting a job get the best of you, there's always another job out there. Things will turn out for the best. I know it will. Try to have a Happy Birthday and know things can only get better!!!!
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I know saying you should not feel personally responsible won't help you change the way yoy feel - you know the Marlo Thomas book (How you feel is how you feel! - can you tell I work eith kids,lol?) - but you need to rest, take care of yourself and get enough energy to accomplish what you need to do. Is there any one in the company you CAN talk to? Do you know a lawyer? One who knows how to handle this kind of case?

If I recall, you worked for a communications / cell phone company (call center) or have you changed jobs since I was here? There are employment standards that all companies have to follow - they cannot just fire you without cause!! So, if they did that, you do have the right to sue them for wrongful dismissal, not to mention the money they owe you.

There is also the Human Rights Commisison and you prob know the various employment standards commissions, etc in BC that should investigate.

Please take care of yourself!!
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:39 PM

ooo definitely have a few birthday margaritas! I hope you managed to have a good birthday despite the crap... Hey, at least you can go sit and enjoy your new yard for a couple of days... Right?
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Thank you so much everyone - I know I will be okay - but it is hard getting fired my God I feel like such a loser. Even though I feel like I was basically stabbed in the back - I have gone through the employee standards act - and this company has breached some rules already - Not providing pay until one month after I was hired, making me work more than 5 hours with no break - not producing pay stubs - and also failing to pay me within 48 hours of being terminated. Those are the trivial thing which I am not making a big deal about.

It is more than treatment I had received while training - literally I was reduced to tears on more than occassion - also I found out that the employees were saying nasty things behind my back - I found out because I received an email I was not supposed to receive - basically back stabbing me. The person who wrote apologised immediately but after that how could trust her. She was also the one that had me terminated. Anyways what I thought was supposed to be the perfect job turned out to be not so perfect. Luckily I was not employed there for long only about two months so career wise I am just going to pretend the job never happened.

I put in an official complaint to Employment Standards not sure if I have a case or not or if its worth even pursuing. I dont think I will pursue it anymore after this, and I certainly do not want the job back - well actually I do - only to have the opportunity to tell them where to go. - than quit.

On a good note I have had lots of calls from friends and family today - my kids sang me happy birthday - I stayed on my diet until 5.30 then had two pieces of cake with the kids - and my son played happy birthday on his guitar for me.

Old May 9th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry about your day....but I am a firm believer that when one door closes another opens...in some cases it might be a while, but from past experience...its worth the wait..Take this opportunity to revamp yourself. If they were thinking promotion than you must be good at what you do. Take that and use it to your advantage. Please keep us posted. PS>>.Happy Birthday
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:55 PM
-

Happy birthday JECM ,I'm very sorry with the job thing :sad: ,have a couple of margaritas and then go put toilet papers on your ex boss's yard/trees! Seriously,everything happens for a reason,a better job will come up .Stay strong.We are here for you
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:27 PM

I agree with frenchy more tp more tp.

Happy birthday.

Spelling is an option
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:00 PM

Wow, I can so relate to your post! This January was the worst.. I lost my dad on the 4th, my B'day was the 15th and my mother well...she can be quite evil at times..tried to start crap w/ my son the last weekend of January(haven't spoke to her since).Went to my job of 4 years as a dispatcher that next Monday...was accused of some horrible things, lost my temper...left for the day and was FIRED the next.A little backstabbing there too! I was sooo lost! Unemployment denied.. Mind you, I am 48 yrs old in a very SMALL town. I had to suck up and just about beg for a job at the local convenient store. It was a 2$ an hour pay cut but my bills are paid. The upside after all the B.S. is...I am OK!! And so are you!!:love: It might feel like the end of the world right now...but stuff happens sometimes for a reason and we have to roll with it. Take a little time to breathe, relax and think of all the good in your life!! I know you have a lot of support here if you need to cry, vent, scream..that's what we're here for!!

And for gosh sakes...enjoy your birthday!!

By the way..as of today...I am now dispatching part time again...the Sheriff asked me back! Keep your chin up girl!! God works in mysterious ways!
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Wow so sorry to hear about your Dad - glad you are hanging in there - I too live in a smallish town so jobs are harder to come by and they all do not pay too great - just put my name in with a staffing agency that hires people for various positions. Honestly if I could I would rather be a stay at home Mom - unfortunately I dont have the option.

Ideally I would like a well paying part time job - reality though I will probably have to settle for a near minimum wage postion that wants more than 40 hours a week.

Hey maybe I should try real estate

Old May 9th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Living in Chaos!

Oh gee JECM how rotten. Well they say things happen for a reason so you will find something even bigger and better.

My all time favourite saying "What goes around, comes around" so those backstabbers will evenutally get what's coming to them.

I hope you have a Happy Birthday despite all that has happened.

All the best.

liSa - Animal slave 09/27/1972
Alicia - Orange Tabby 06/01/1999 to 10/22/2004
Sam - Lab/Hound 01/03/2001 to 06/14/2014
Josie - Orange Tabby 2003
Mr. Slithers - Red-tailed boa constrictor 02/2007
Zeus - Bearded dragon 06/04/2007
Ariel and Lola - Bearded dragons 06/13/2007
Harley - MinPin 01/26/2008

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Performance Spaniels

*huggles* I'm really sorry hun.
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Not-so-senior member

Crap crap crap! That is a really bad day! You could go back to your old job, just do it with your head held up and no one will think anything of it. We've all had things not work out for us.

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:53 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16
Sorry about your day....but I am a firm believer that when one door closes another opens...in some cases it might be a while, but from past experience...its worth the wait..Take this opportunity to revamp yourself. If they were thinking promotion than you must be good at what you do. Take that and use it to your advantage. Please keep us posted. PS>>.Happy Birthday
I agree with cpietra "when one door closes...another opens". Also, "what goes around, comes around" so those that back-stabbed you will get it back.

Hope today is going better for you.
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Hunter & Bogart's daddy

Dang...I'm sorry to hear what happened to you. I hope things become better. And let me be the first to say: Happy Be-lated Birthday!!

As for your job, isn't there some Government agency you can make a complaint to regarding this? I mean...you started not long ago and everything was fine and suddenly they fire you!? That's ridiculous and irresponsible of them!!
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Happy Birthday!!

So sorry you had to endure this on your special day! Hoping you feel better.

My favourite saying is 'this too shall pass"

I always think ahead a year.... ask yourself will this even be an issue in a month? in a year? mostlikey not so its nothing to beat yourself up about it. Everything runs its course including bad days, months and even years. I know how it is when you are in the thick of things and it seems like you are stuck in hell if you will and can't see past all the bad stuff but there is always clear skies sooner rather then later. You just have to ride out this storm with your head high knowing you have nothing to be ashamed about losing your job to a company that obviously didn't value you in the first place. if it wasn't this issue it would have been the next. If you knew you would have been fired in two months for something dumb then you wouldn't have taken the job, an unstable work enviroment is just that.
You didn't like your other job and this one wasn't as stable as it seemed so i would take this oppurtunity to find yourself something you can truly enjoy.

Again I am really sorry you feel so awful. But cheer up.

Chin up, chest out, sing sweet, don't shout
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Personal servant to Joey

I did make a complaint to the employee standards act - apparently you can be fired before three months no questions asked and you dont get severance pay either oh well.

Anyways I probably shouldnt waste anymore time on them - ok well I did report them for not paying me within 48 hours of my termination. Which I know is the law. I have still yet to receive my pay cheque.

Gosh I dont do well when I feel I have been screwed over. Its like how dare you do this to me - I will get even with you! Anyways there is not really any point in pursuing this anymore - if they happen to get sued for the 48 hour thing - then at least they may be aware of it for the next employee they terminate - (see I am doing them a favour)

I have been on the job bank everyday and looking in the local paper too. I still feel angry but its getting better everday. Thank you all for your support.

I definately do not want to go back to my old job. But will use it as a stepping stone to a new job - this past job well that was just a bad dream IMO.

Old May 10th, 2006, 05:00 PM

I have a feeling you will be just fine! And while you're looking for your new career, don't be afraid to step out of what you know and try for something different. I was asked 5 years ago almost to the date if I would dispatch for the Sheriff. I was already working at a variety store here making dirt wages with a two-faced manager. I thought..well..I'll "keep my day job" and train for dispatch. I was SCARED TO DEATH! I hated the radio,as we had 4 depts. to dispatch for. The inmates intimidated me. I told a deputy at one time I would not come back as I did not feel adequate; to say the least! Well thank God they persisted in telling me I would be ok. It was :sad: the best job ever! And I have very mixed emotions about helping them out this week as I am covering for the one who "helped me out the door" Upside...I can work circles around her!!

I guess what I'm trying to say is..if there is something you might like to try, but don't feel qualified for...GO FOR IT anyways..you might be surprised!
I'm pulling for you!!
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Mom to many originally posted -
Quote:
I have a feeling you will be just fine! And while you're looking for your new career, don't be afraid to step out of what you know and try for something different. I was asked 5 years ago almost to the date if I would dispatch for the Sheriff. I was already working at a variety store here making dirt wages with a two-faced manager. I thought..well..I'll "keep my day job" and train for dispatch. I was SCARED TO DEATH! I hated the radio,as we had 4 depts. to dispatch for. The inmates intimidated me. I told a deputy at one time I would not come back as I did not feel adequate; to say the least! Well thank God they persisted in telling me I would be ok. It was the best job ever! And I have very mixed emotions about helping them out this week as I am covering for the one who "helped me out the door" Upside...I can work circles around her!!

I guess what I'm trying to say is..if there is something you might like to try, but don't feel qualified for...GO FOR IT anyways..you might be surprised!
I'm pulling for you!!
Funny you should say that today I saw an add for a dispatcher only problem it is located 45 minutes away and I really hated the commute from old job not to mention the price of gas.

I also signed up for a job board type thing where they post your resume and find jobs that match your skills - anyways I got my first lead today.............Can you believe this - you though Chris getting kicked off American Idol was a shocker............Well JECM pets.ca worst handy person, the one that can't screw hinges on, the one that put up her badminton net only to have it fall down immediately and panicked when she couldnt untangle herself from the net, then one that needed help putting her broom handle together ..... my compatible job is for.............A roofer yes a roofer - it is so wonderful when someone sees something in you that you would never see in yourself.... I am sure the fact the even standing on a roof makes want to passout - would really be a big concern for this position. Anyways I will get my resume together for this postin and maybe take out some extra life insurance too.

One a bit of a more serious not the Employment Standards Act states the when someone is terminated they should receive their final pay in 48 hours - they originally told me next pay day. I did tell them that I expected it in 48 hours if not I would be reporting them to employment standards - I got a lame reply back that was like we'll try but our computer software may not let us pay you with such short notice. Then I got another email saying they would mail me a check - this was on Monday - I told them I would give them until Thursday which is actually 72 hours past my termination, giving them extra time to have the check mailed out - Today I checked my mail no cheque. I really feel like submitting a complaint to ESA - because of the way I was treated - and frankly if they were any kind of honorable business they would have made sure I had the cheque by now - they could have couriered it to me to be sure I actually got it in time.

If any of you were in my position would you submit the complaint or let it go?

Old May 11th, 2006, 10:55 PM

There's not much to add here except you have my sympathies and that I think you are handling things well.

About the check: I wouldn't do anything until I talked to someone else I trusted. I think you might be too wrapped up in this to trust your decision right now.

One more thing: Pretend you didn't have a birthday and "reschedule" a private birthday for the same day next month. You will probably feel better by then and you can treat yourself to a special day.

Last edited by DRN; May 11th, 2006 at 10:57 PM.
Old May 12th, 2006, 05:57 AM

A roofer??? LMAO after your "DYI" skills! Not the job for you!! lol.. Good luck..got my fingers crossed for ya!! There is something out there with "your name" on it!!
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:51 AM

i'd submit the complaint.
Someone has to keep some of these employers in line.
Good luck with the new job hunt!
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Personal servant to Joey

I officially submitted a complaint to employment standards regarding the company - now its time to get another job.

Old May 12th, 2006, 11:34 AM
-

Right on sister !
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Personal servant to Joey

I think the fine is $50.00 that will for sure put them out of business - well besides the roofer I could also be a webcam model $90 an hour Maybe Joey could do it he is pretty good at posing for the camera

Old May 12th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Don't get mad; get even! Go out and land a great job. Then when you run into someone from your old one, thank them for cutting you loose so that you could take advantage of this terrific opportunity and gush on and on that you've never been happier, better paid, better benefits ... blah, blah, blah. Lie if you have to! It'll just kill that back-stabber to see how happy you are. In the meantime, I'm sorry this happened to you. If you were working for a telecommunication company, be grateful you escaped from it. I spent 30 years with my company before I was able to leave. It started out as a good company to work for, but with the divestiture in the 80's, it became a cut-throat, blood-sucking corporation that no longer valued its employees. The middle managers worried about their jobs and put the screws to everyone under them to make themselves shine. Problem was that we kept thinking the situation was temporary. That our beloved company was in transition and everything would eventually settle down. We also had too many years invested into the company and would have lost too much if we had left. With just 2 months, you can walk away and never look back. Well, it's ok to look back once - long enough to thumb your nose!