Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old August 25th, 2009, 11:24 PM

Exclamation Possibly a cat cold

Hi there, im not sure if this post is in the right place. So sorry if it isnt.

Today i bought a kitten from a guy online, She was born june 1st and he didnt get her shots, nor did he deworm her. Once i got home i noticed that there is a weezing sound when she breaths, she sneezes often, her nose is constantly runny, and her eyes are a little watery. She seems to be eating a normal amount of food, but she seems to be underweight. Im hopeing that i can get a hold of the local vet tomorrow and ask about these issues, but i thought maybe i would get some answers on here from people who have delt with these kind of problems in cats before? Im kinda thinking it may be a cold, but from the enviroment she came from, it probably could be a couple of different things effecting her. But I sure hope its nothing too serious, beause im in love with her already.

If someone could get back to me asap, i would deffinatly appreciate it.
Thanks
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:06 AM

It is possible it is a common viral infection, though there are other more serious conditions that can also show these symptoms. Please have her in to the vet asap to have her checked over, I would also advise not to have her vaccinated until the cause is determined & cleared up as the vaccine companies themselves state: "only vaccinate healthy animals". If you have other cats please keep them separated from the kitten until the symptoms are gone.

good luck

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I'm a softy

yes please go to the vet, it actually could be serious.. If she has not been vaccinated it is possible that she has an underlying condition and the stress has brought it out, that happens. If she is having trouble breathing and sneezing they can give you saline for you to put in their nose, one big sneeze after that, they will be clearer and able to breath better, poor things, I have fostered babies like this, and you see them wheezing and sneezing 100 times in a row.. poor things.. She may always have this, but it will go dormant and she wont show any symptoms until something happens perhaps, and causes symptoms again.. She also may need antibiotics, eye drops, and PLEASE watch for dehydration, that happens so fast she may also benefit from some sub-q fluids. GOOD LUCK!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:12 PM

My newest kitten displayed the same symptoms when I brought him home, along with some nasty diarrhea. I took him to the vet right away and it turned out to be an upper respiratory infection. They put him on antibiotics, deworming stuff, anti-diarrhea meds, and fortiflora to help with the runs as well.

You should definitely take him to the vet as soon as possible because with young kittens if not treated it can get bad pretty quickly, mine did end up having to stay overnight for a few days. Also, as the others above stated do not get him vaccinated until he is well and healthy as the vaccinations lower their immune systems and he needs that right now. I'm pretty sure any decent vet would tell you that though.

Good luck with the baby and keep us posted!
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:20 PM

PS The guy you bought him from definitely needs to be told whats up if he has any other kittens. They need to be dewormed around 6 weeks and again about 2 weeks later. Most kittens are either born with worms or are passed them through their mother's milk. People like this really get my goat cause he sold you an obviously sick kitten that probably should have been treated by now and he is now YOUR problem to deal with.
Personally I would not pay for a kitten with no vet history as this kitten has not incurred much cost upon the irresponsible seller but instead he has passed those costs along to you.
/rant.
Old August 27th, 2009, 12:31 PM

I got my kitten last year from the SPCA with her constantly sneezing. The vet there told me that she was properly vaccinated and that after her checkup the vet predicted the virus would probably be fought off with a proper diet. After about a week it did, she is fine.

...But she was checked by a vet.
Old August 30th, 2009, 11:28 PM

Thanks for all the help!

I ended up bringing him to the vet the next day i posted, and the vet said he was all healthy no ear mites, no upper respritory problems only that he has a cold, oh and i found out that he was a boy!! The vet prescribed me with Enysil-F, i did a little bit of research on it, and from what i learned it helps with cat herpes? How does that help with a cold? If anyone knows the answer please explain. Also after i brought him to the vet i noticed that he started scratching his ears, and this morning i saw that there was crusty discharge in his ear, im not sure what it would be because the vet said that he is healthy besides the cold.
Old August 30th, 2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscene-- View Post
The vet prescribed me with Enysil-F, i did a little bit of research on it, and from what i learned it helps with cat herpes? How does that help with a cold? If anyone knows the answer please explain
Feline herpes virus is aka Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis the symptoms present themselves very much like a cold ie: respiratory symptoms such as sneezing, nasal discharge, inflammed nose, and conjunctivitis usually more severe though and in some cases feline herpes is a life long infection that has occasional flare ups.

The ear scratching & discharge might just be a little irritation from the exam, loosening of some wax etc. Keep an eye on it, try not to let him scratch too much and if it seems worse or the discharge doesn't stop or is really smelly have the vet look at the ears again.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:23 AM
I'm a softy

yup that is the virus i was talking about, passed from mom probably. I have serious concerns about where you got the kitten from. As i said your cat will always have this it can flare up again, stress will induce a flare up. The symptoms need to be managed, dehydration avoided, and it can cause a secondary infection that needs antibiotics, take him back to have his ears looked at. Good luck!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:45 AM

Thanks a bunch! This site is really helping me.

im going to keep an eye on his ear, just because it doesnt seem like its bothering him that much. He scratches it once in a while, like if i try to touch it and examine his ear. The discharge has a very faint smell, but doesnt smell bad. Hopefully its just from when the vet checked his ears. But if it doesnt clear up in 2 days then im for sure going to take him to the vet.

Tags
cat, cold, sick, sneezing