Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old June 22nd, 2010, 01:04 PM

Question Thick clear substance

My son's cat who is turning 1 today, has apparently leaked a clear, odorless, thick substance from I'm assuming her anus. I found it in a few of the chairs she lays in. I have no idea what this could be. We are on a limited income so I can't go to the vet until I know it is necessary I was hoping someone here may have some idea what would cause something like this. She really has no other symptoms, she coughs but she is a long haired cat that I think gets hairballs. She did vomit last night but that happens with both of my cats every now and then so I thought nothing of it. My son is in love with this cat and if anything happened to her I don't know what we would do with him. He has gone all out for her birthday today. It's quite adorable, he loves her so much and tells us all the time. Sorry to not have more detail but right now this is all that has happened. I've done research online and so has my mom, she found a site that lead her to believe it was FIP. I did more research and it said clear mucus was NOT a sign of FIP. So I don't know what to do or think. I know there is a lot of knowledge here. It didn't look like mucus but that is what I am reading it is. It was just thick and clear. Thank you for any help you can offer.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor

How is the kitty's poop? Is it normal in appearance (firm, brown, tootsie-roll shape?) and frequency (once or twice a day)? Any straining in the litterbox? What about the cat's appetite (and what does she eat, by the way)?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 22nd, 2010, 01:36 PM

Unfortunately I am not sure on the poop because my two cats share a litterbox so I don't know which one is doing what. I have noticed that there wasn't as much poop in there the past few days so I have to assume that it is my son's cat that isn't pooping as much. No straining has been noticed. They eat dry cat food, usually cat chow but I do give them canned cat food occasionally which my cat loves and sometimes my son's cat turns her nose up at. Other times she will eat some of it. I just read where canned cat food is better for them so I need to try to get her to eat it.

Thank you for taking the time to try and help me, I'm worried sick.
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:06 AM

Does anyone have any advice for me? My son's cat has also started dragging her butt along the floor like she is scratching it or what I think she is actually trying to do is clean it. She was just laying under my table and she started scratching like she does in the litter box and the smell of poop became strong. I thought sure she had went under the table but she hadn't. She left for a bit and when she came back the smell of poop became strong again. I don't know what to do. Does she need a vet? Someone please help me.
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:29 AM

I don't know much about cats, so I can't really help you. But maybe you could just call your vet's office and see if they can give you an idea about whether you should come in? I'm not sure if they often dispense advice like this, but it couldn't hurt to ask.
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by veefor48 View Post
Does anyone have any advice for me? My son's cat has also started dragging her butt along the floor like she is scratching it or what I think she is actually trying to do is clean it. She was just laying under my table and she started scratching like she does in the litter box and the smell of poop became strong. I thought sure she had went under the table but she hadn't. She left for a bit and when she came back the smell of poop became strong again. I don't know what to do. Does she need a vet? Someone please help me.
Have your vets check her anal glands, sounds like they are full.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 24th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Could possibly be constipation as well. I know sometimes, when constipated it will just pass gas and clear mucus. I'd call your vet and ask them if it is necessary to bring the kitty in.
Old June 24th, 2010, 12:48 PM

Thank you all so much. After much reading and watching the cat I think it is her anal glands too. I've called the vet and wouldn't you know it, they have an answering machine on saying they are in a staff meeting. I left a message but I really want to get an answer today. As she scooted along our floor she emptied some of it and it smells horrible. I hope the vet calls me back soon, I keep calling them back periodically too to see if they are answering yet. It has an emergency pager number but I am assuming even though it seems like it to me, that they would not consider this an emergency. Thank you all so much!
Old June 24th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by veefor48 View Post
As she scooted along our floor she emptied some of it and it smells horrible.
Yup, that sounds like an anal gland issue. The "smells horrible" part is a key piece of evidence . Hope the vet can help you out!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 24th, 2010, 04:08 PM

We just got home from the vet and they "expressed" her "anal sac". I'm assuming that's the glands. The dr. couldn't find any evidence of the clear substance we found from her but she said this should fix her, if not they want to see her back Monday or otherwise check her again in about 2 to 3 weeks. Thanks for all of your help, it appears you were right on the money. I hope this takes care of the problem and am so grateful that it isn't serious. Thanks to each of you for your help!