Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old August 16th, 2008, 03:51 PM

Question Hello All...any suggestions?

Hello, I am new to this site and blogging for that matter. I am a mother of 4 young children & we just started raising Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. I took over from my brother & it is a mess! I use to work as a vet assist. b4 I had kids & my previous knowledge is not serving me well to say the least. So...thought I would join a blog and see if anyone out there has dealt with some of the things I am experiencing and can offer some advice. Some of the issues I am dealing with are puppies dying quickly for no apparent cause within 3days of being born-awesome mama's lots of milk, Neg for brucelosis. and puppies coming down with Kennel cough by 6weeks of age. Mama's all vacc. and pups given an intranasal at 3weeks. I am sooo frustrated. Took them all to the vet but not offering much help other than supportive care. Can I ever break this cycle?
Old August 16th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Doggie Wench

Cavy Crazy, if you take a look at the forum rules and a general look around, you'll notice this is a strong pro spay/neuter board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavy Crazy View Post
Can I ever break this cycle?
Yes, you can. If you don't know what you're doing, please, simply stop it.
Old August 16th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavy Crazy View Post
Some of the issues I am dealing with are puppies dying quickly for no apparent cause within 3days of being born-awesome mama's lots of milk, Neg for brucelosis. and puppies coming down with Kennel cough by 6weeks of age. Mama's all vacc. and pups given an intranasal at 3weeks. I am sooo frustrated. Took them all to the vet but not offering much help other than supportive care. Can I ever break this cycle?
How many puppies and Mamas are you talking about exactly? This doesn't seem right to me and you do not sound like a professional breeder. I do not think this is an approriate forum for your questions and doubt you will find much help here. It sounds to me like you are doing something you shouldn't be.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old August 16th, 2008, 08:50 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Best thing you can do for your remaining dogs is to have them all fixed.
Seeing as this is a pro spay/neutur site and we can't offer help I googled forums for breeders. Hopefully you can find a knowledgable breeder on one of them who can help you with your dying babies. :sad:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...e+Search&meta=

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 17th, 2008, 11:24 AM
border collie mama

I really hope you decided to get all of these pups spayed and mama's spayed or neutered! If they are dyin something is obviously going wrong with them and it isnt fair to any of them, the mama's or the babies, to just keep letting them dye...
Old August 17th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

If the causes are genetic - and it would be interesting to know if the previous breeder also had problems, in which case anyone in their right mind would be running in the other direction - then continuing would only pile up more heartbreak, for you and the dogs.
Either way, please do the right thing, by having them spayed and giving them a healthy future. And no more sleepless nights for you, watching puppies die :sad: