Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old June 19th, 2005, 10:47 AM

If corn is on the dogfood label, is it bad?

Sophie is on Nutro puppy food and doing great, but she seems to be getting tired of it. She doesn't eat it like she used to. For a while she wouldn't eat much at all and I called the vet, they suggested taking her off the medication she was on for demodex and that took care of that problem. I don't think there's anything wrong with her because when she goes to the neighbor's to play with her dog she devours any food that may be in his bowl (Kibbles and Bits) but I don't think that's a very good food so I don't want to use that one.

So what IS a good food that is comparable to Nutro that I could try? I read the ingredients on almost every package at Feeders Supply and most of them have corn in them. Is it okay if corn is in there but isn't one of the first 2 ingredients? Our vet recommends Pro Plan but I read the label and wasn't that impressed. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Dahlia; June 19th, 2005 at 04:09 PM. Reason: more specific title
Old June 19th, 2005, 07:02 PM

Not really -- my dog also gets tired of healthy food quite quickly! Before I found the healthy stuff, he never got tired of the crappy corn feed stuff (I'm in Korea so it wasn't easy to find good quality food at first). However, he had itchy skin problems then, and it isn't good for other reasons too of course. So now he is somewhat unsatisfied with his food. There are only two or three brands available here without corn, so I buy a different one of the three each time. He is usually happy with the "new" food for the first week and gets increasingly less enthused as the bag gets smaller.

If I were you, I'd stick to corn-free foods. You can add healthy stuff to his regular food now and then, and also try mixing it up with another healthy dog food...

Picky picky dogs.
Old June 19th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

If you've considered, why not making your dogs food yourself?
Old June 19th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Coopers mom

My pup was recommended hills science diet by the vet so i bought it.....OMG sent in for "the 30day challenge" i put the 2 bags side by side and was digusted by what i was feeding the Coop.... purina one its great and he loves it, and he is so healthy.. playfull and best of all happy... breeder later told me the vets make commission on what they sell there so its not exactly the best always.....

about him being picky if they get alot of scraps or snacks (yours) they get picky best not to bribe him to eat with gravy or other stuff( human food) or you will have problems feeding him, if he's hungry enough he'll eat it don't worry he wont starve.

and some one elses food is always better even if it is kibbles and bits
Old June 19th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Owned by goldens

Dog food again

Choosing a dog food can be difficult. My dogs did not do well on Nutro. They vomited yellow bile daily when they were on it. Purina foods for the most part are poor quality as are Hills/Science diet foods.

If you are looking for a good quality food check out Wellness, Solid Gold or Natural Balance. There are others but these are fairly easy to find.

Look for a food with a specific "meat" such as chicken meal. Ingredients are listed in order of weight. If corn or wheat, rice, or gluten are in the top ingredients then you are paying for fillers. Dogs do not need these and are added to food for bulk. Avoid any food with by-products (you don't want to know what that contains) .
Old June 20th, 2005, 09:30 AM

I agree with coppperbelle. She's still a puppy right? The Solid Gold Wolf Cub looks to be as tasty as the Wolf King and if it is, the doggy should love it. My doggies still aren't sick of it.
Old June 20th, 2005, 10:23 AM

We don't have the Solid Gold food here but we do have wellness, and I'm not sure about the Natural Balance. I think I'll go back to the store, check labels and ask for samples. I don't know if they offer samples or not but doesn't hurt to ask.

She doesn't get scraps, other than a few little bits of bread that my 11 month old drops when he's eating. If he's eating anything that she shouldn't have I gate her out of the kitchen so she's not filling up on people food. I don't do anything to her food to get her to eat it, I just set it down for her in her bowl. She used to get excited about meal time but now she just sits there and looks at it for several minutes and nibbles on it until it's gone. Kinda like I would do if I was hungry but someone was serving something I really didn't like.
Old June 20th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Performance Spaniels

I've tried a few of the better quality foods. My pup liked wysong and solid gold. But, I had been mixing them with her nutro max since they were more expensive. I finally bit the bullet to make a pemenent change, and decided it was time for just good quality food.

I chose wellness duck and sweet potatoe.. and the dog has never been happier about eating her food. I'm a little unhappy that the rest of the wellness bags I read had brown rice as ingredient 2 or 3 though. This was the only one one that had better ingredients.
Old June 20th, 2005, 02:50 PM
banned user

So Funny

I have been going nuts with my American Pit Bull Terrier Puppy. I have him on Wellness but he throws up a lot and his stool is soft WAY too often. So after emergency room visits because he was throwing up and many other issues I spoke to the vet about testing his stomach or changing his food. He reccomended Hill's I/D Diet... and I remember they put my poodle on Hill's k/d when she was about 12, and I didn't know to research it (I was 17). She became so sluggish and unhealthy that I thought she was going to die, so I made my parents switch her back- and she was fine again... lived until 17

So I was asking all of these questions in my other post about what food to choose, I was leaning toward Solid Gold Wolfcub over another Wellness bag. After reading all of your comments I am certain now- I am going to call my vet to let him know I will not be purchasing that food... he can "troubleshoot" MY dog MY way. YAY!! Thanks guys!
Old June 20th, 2005, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlia
We don't have the Solid Gold food here but we do have wellness, and I'm not sure about the Natural Balance. I think I'll go back to the store, check labels and ask for samples. I don't know if they offer samples or not but doesn't hurt to ask.

She doesn't get scraps, other than a few little bits of bread that my 11 month old drops when he's eating. If he's eating anything that she shouldn't have I gate her out of the kitchen so she's not filling up on people food. I don't do anything to her food to get her to eat it, I just set it down for her in her bowl. She used to get excited about meal time but now she just sits there and looks at it for several minutes and nibbles on it until it's gone. Kinda like I would do if I was hungry but someone was serving something I really didn't like.

I feed Casey Natural Balance, but he's already tired of it after 3 weeks. I love the ingredients in it though -- but apparently he doesn't.