Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 15th, 2009, 11:47 PM
At Cat-Pacity

Little Cat peeing everywhere after move

Hi all,

NB: Little's going to the vet on Tuesday.

We adopted her exactly a year ago from Toronto Animal Services, at which time she was approximately 2 years old and had just been spayed after delivering a litter (1 kitten survived when they found her.) She was about 4.5lbs when we got her, but within a couple of months, was up to 7lbs. She's always been a bit "weird" and had some strange little habits: she has no concept of personal space or boundaries like other cats do and will get right up in your face to see what you're eating and will "mooch" food even with a full bowl, or she frequently wipes her paws on the ground, walls or furniture before and after meals and using the litter box. I've noticed her scratching the carpet after she's peed on it too, almost like she was trying to cover it with litter.

We bought a house in April and had been pretty much packing solidly between then and when we moved in August, so yes, the apartment was in disarray which probably stressed all our 3 kitties. But in general, they seemed to be enjoying the boxes and new places to play on. The first time we think Little peed was around May, right after we tried using the Pedi-Paws on all 3 kitties (none of them liked it and we gave up after a couple of claws.) I found my umbrella, which was open, completely full of cat pee; another cat was blamed as the likely culprit although we put things together later, but ever since then there has been at least one "accident" per month. We are now in our new house for 3 months and the accidents are almost every other day, it seems, ranging from a spot the size of a quarter to a small puddle.

We figure that if it isn't a medical problem, she is probably peeing because of all the changes in her life of late (I also broke her favourite litter box by accident.) Yet she doesn't seem unhappy, seems to love the new house, runs around and plays with the other kitties more than she ever did before. How do we calm her down or cheer her up when she doesn't seem to need it? How do I make her stop peeing on our stuff? She can't seem to go into the basement without peeing somewhere, resulting in a total kitty ban. I can't smell it anymore, but then, I'm the one who changes the litter box and probably couldn't smell it if she did it right under my nose!
Old November 15th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Welcome

I would start off by ruling out medical. Cats are not really dirty by nature...they tend to like a clean box and when they go outside of it it usually means somethings up! Could be a simple urinary infection...

I would also purchase another litter box...especially if she has a favorite...how many litter boxes do you have vs kitties?

You can make a solution (its on the site here somewhere) that is used to remove the smell of urine...you cant just simply wipe the area as they will keep going back to it. Also there may have been other kitties in the basement that left their scent behind. Maybe a very good thorough cleaning will help. Are you sure its just the one kitty? you may have others following around the other and copying!

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 16th, 2009, 02:06 AM

Good to hear Little is going into the vet on Tues, have them do a urinalysis to check for UTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ker13 View Post
She's always been a bit "weird" and had some strange little habits: she has no concept of personal space or boundaries like other cats do and will get right up in your face to see what you're eating and will "mooch" food even with a full bowl
She just wants to see/taste what you've got & if its better than what she has

Quote:
or she frequently wipes her paws on the ground, walls or furniture before and after meals and using the litter box. I've noticed her scratching the carpet after she's peed on it too, almost like she was trying to cover it with litter.
Perfectly normal cat behaviour - she's "covering" her food either to save it for later or "bury" it cuz she doesn't want it anymore. Most cats do cover their "business" in the litterbox & will go the extra step of stretching more by scratching at surrounding objects. Scratching the carpet after peeing on it is the same thing, she's trying to cover it up. After leaving the litterbox alot of cats like to sharpen their claws on a scratcher as additional scent marking.

Quote:
The first time we think Little peed was around May, right after we tried using the Pedi-Paws on all 3 kitties (none of them liked it and we gave up after a couple of claws.)
It is possible the peeing cat is associating the uncomfortable feeling of the clipped claws (especially if done down to the quick) with the litterbox since the sensation of scratching in the box has changed after the pedi-paws.

The same applies if there is a UTI & the cat is associating the pain of peeing with the litterbox, moving to different surfaces to try to alleviate that discomfort.

What type of litter are you using? There are various different textures in litters that may be more comfortable on the paws.

One you can try is Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter

Is the cat consistantly peeing in one particular spot? Have you tried moving 1 of the litterboxes from where they are now to where the pee is?

Quote:
I can't smell it anymore, but then, I'm the one who changes the litter box and probably couldn't smell it if she did it right under my nose!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
I would also purchase another litter box...especially if she has a favorite...how many litter boxes do you have vs kitties?
Winston is right, how many boxes do you have? The rule of thumb is 1 box per cat plus 1 so 3 cats = 4 boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
You can make a solution (its on the site here somewhere) that is used to remove the smell of urine...you cant just simply wipe the area as they will keep going back to it.
1 cup water, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol mix together, spray on affected area, mop up & re-spray let dry. This will eliminate the urine odour you can't smell but they can, any cleaner with ammonia base will attract the cat back to that same spot as the base properties smell the same

for the visit on Tues, let us know how it goes

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old November 16th, 2009, 02:08 AM
-

I would also get her checked out by your vet to rule out any medical problem.

And, the rule of thumb is one litter box per cat and quite often even an extra one. Here's some info ....

http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm
Old November 16th, 2009, 02:10 AM
-

LOL ....I was typing and didn't see your reply, growler.
Old November 16th, 2009, 06:50 PM
At Cat-Pacity

Thanks everyone!

Your replies are much appreciated!

We have 2 litter boxes and always have (since we moved from an apartment) and the kitties have put up with it, although I think Little is definitely the biggest neat-freak of them and would probably prefer at least one extra box, on reflection. I know she's not a huge fan of the Clever-Cat litter box (but I am!!!!), so we'll buy another Roll Away box tomorrow (also: they're on sale at CT this week!) I didn't realize cats could be that picky, our older two are sort of resigned to our ways at this point... :sad:

She doesn't seem to be in any pain, although she's such an odd little cat that it's a little hard to read her some days. We definitely didn't cut her nails down too far (lots of parrot experience on claw clipping!) since we were a bit wary of the Pedi-Paws - they never mention in the commercials, but of course the thing about dremel tools is that they work with friction and therefore heat up! Since her (and the other kitties') claws were heating up too much, and they were so unhappy about the noise it made, we stopped using it after the first attempt. I'm wondering though, maybe after that event she peed in my umbrella out of rebellion and then found that hey, I can go outside the little box! If that's the case - how the heck do I get her to unlearn that??

Will let you know how it goes tomorrow!
Attached Images

Old November 17th, 2009, 02:48 AM

I have 3 cats. Let's just call them cat #1,#2,#3.
They are all take In's. Just showed up at my door at various times.

#3 (I think he is a Maine Coon) has weird hair but he Always uses the litter box, every time, no exception,except for the first two weeks I brought him into the house. That was several years ago. He is consistent and would not even think of pee, or poop, outside of the box. It just is not in his nature. He has long hair but does not shed, He is the cat that every cat owner dreams of

#2 Is my retarded cat. She is one of the perpetual kitten types. She is over 3 years old but still acts like a kitten. If I leave dirty clothes on the floor she will pee on them. If I do not vacuum she will pee. If the litter box gets too dirty she will not use it, preferring anywheres else. She is the bane of my existence!
I took her in since she was so scrawny and lite. She is the bane of my existence, She could not survive outside. I love her dearly! LOL!

#1 Is Molly, The oldest. The Queen of the house. She will always poop in the box but will on her will pee outside. I have found that using an enzyme cleaner (currently) " Simple Solution Stain and Odor remover ", will discourage her as well as blocking off the offending area" That is about 98% effective, she still has a rare occasional accident

I guess my point is that cats have very very different personalities.
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:09 PM
At Cat-Pacity

And the vet said....

Back from the vet, Little is staying overnight so they can fill her up with water and get a sample. He said he couldn't feel any lumps, cysts or wall thickening which would indicate a problem, or couldn't detect any irritation or inflammation (although she didn't like where he stuck the thermometer...) He's of the opinion that it's behavioural since she's picking specific spots to pee and frequently returning to them (Hazmat, like your #2 - on dirty clothes), and suggests getting an extra litter box with plain unscented clay litter, away from the other boxes and if possible, deter the other cats from using it (fat chance.) He said as a last resort, if he try EVERYTHING, then Prozac is a possibility, but he wasn't a fan of it.

No sooner than we had got home but my husband comes running down the stairs yelling - the parrot decided that the cats were getting too much attention and played a trick on him by lying on her back, feet in the air, in her kleenex box at the bottom of her cage. She flipped over and scrambled up the cage side as soon as I ran up to check. He was near tears and she thought it was hilarious! She's spent all night since kissing him and cackling...

ANIMALS! UGH!
Old November 18th, 2009, 03:13 AM

You might try an uncovered litterbox for Little, some cats prefer covered but some refuse to use them. She might've decided she didn't like the covered boxes anymore, or maybe she got startled coming out/going into the covered ones

for an answer as to medical or not tomorrow

Naughty naughty bird got a wicked sense of humour!

Old November 18th, 2009, 12:26 PM
-

Good idea about the uncovered litter box. We ended taking the lid off one of our boxes cuz the cats didn't like it anymore. Just like humans they change their likes and dislikes over time.

Btw, Little is very purrty.

And, I love your parrot's sense of humour.

Hope you get some answers today.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 12:59 PM
At Cat-Pacity

Update

Hi all!

It's been 2 weeks now and we are accident-free! We bought 2 extra litter boxes and put regular clay litter in the older box, and also put up the mangled cat tree that was in our old apartment - Little spent the first 2 nights sleeping on it, despite the fact it's duct-taped together in places. It seems the extra boxes did the trick, and she's been oddly affectionate in the last couple of weeks too, so I guess she appreciates it!

Thank you everyone for putting my mind at ease!

p.s. the parrot, Penny Lane, has now discovered the best way to get my husband's undivided attention and goes belly-up as soon as he doesn't pay her enough attention. I could learn a trick or two from that bird....
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:10 PM
At Cat-Pacity

Talking To Growler -

Heh - "Tortitude." That is such a good word. Nibbley's definitely got Tortitude.
Attached Images

Old December 2nd, 2009, 02:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Can you post a picture of your parrot too???
I am oddly fascinated with parrots, though I have not met many of them
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh yes,such a smart parrot deserves a pic on our Forum and don't forget the Maine Coon kitty too.
Love the 2 girls and i am really glad the peeing problem is resolved
Only once years ago did I try the covered boxes,none of my cats liked them,it makes sense to me,the smell in there must be so much worse.
As a rule,I do not keep dirty clothes anywhere near where the cats can get to them,I keep my hamper in a closet,because I one one kitty who occasionally sprays
Old December 2nd, 2009, 07:49 PM
At Cat-Pacity

Penny Lane

Here is our pretty Penny Lane, who is a crimson-bellied conure. She's now nearly 2 years old and has a completely red belly. She talks a bit (although conures aren't great talkers compared to some other species) and says "Good girl!" and "Where's birdy?" and "Poop IT!" She is toilet-trained and poops on command, and sometimes lets us know she has to go by yelling "poop-IT!" until we hold her over the garbage can. Aside from her "dead birdy" trick, her hobbies include destroying things (especially paper toys), cuddling with my husband (and trying to pull out his beard - she's in league with my mom) and stealing his Dr. Pepper. I've never, ever seen an animal as fanatical about Dr. Pepper as Penny Lane. It's weird. (We do try not to let her get any, to the point of me suggesting a Sippy-Cup to Rick, but he feels that would cramp his style.)
Oh - and she LOVES men.
Attached Images

Old December 2nd, 2009, 09:43 PM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

Ok, that just looks like one happy bird!! :-)
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,that is just cute beyond words,I'd love to hear her talk.
You must have a hoot with that little troublemaker
Old December 4th, 2009, 02:46 PM
At Cat-Pacity

thanks!

Penny certainly is a handful - in a way which only children are supposed to be! Parrots actually respond in ways similar to children too - they react more to your energy level and tone than to the content of your words, so you have to be really careful about what behaviours and bird-logic you're accidentally reinforcing (for example, yelling when they bite you = "YAY! Let's all make noise!! This is fun!!")

Certainly never have this problem with cats...

[p.s. Growler - hope you don't mind me TOTALLY stealing your awesome word!]
Attached Images

Little - mooching DMH Tabby
Penny Lane - trouble-making Crimson-Bellied Conure
Old December 4th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my! Penny Lane is beautiful!
Thanks so much for the stories. She looks like she is cuddling with your husband in one of the pictures. Do birds cuddle?
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old December 5th, 2009, 02:22 AM

Good to hear the extra boxes & bringing out the old cat tree are dong the trick

Quote:
Heh - "Tortitude." That is such a good word. Nibbley's definitely got Tortitude.
She sure does

Quote:
[p.s. Growler - hope you don't mind me TOTALLY stealing your awesome word!]
No problem - it's not my word I don't know where it started - I first heard it many years ago somewhere describing the Tortie purrsonality/attitude & it so fits

Penny Lane sounds like a very amusing handful around the house

Old December 5th, 2009, 02:38 AM
-

LOL, Poop-it ....that's too funny.

Penny Lane is a beauty and such a character .....there must never be a dull moment at your house.

Pretty Nibbly definitely has that tortitude look. How do her and Little get along with Penny Lane?
Old December 6th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Catlover2

Yep, often it's just another litter box that's needed...glad to hear it's all worked out for your beautiful "Little". Penny Lane is absolutely adorable!! Must say I've never heard of a parrot that not only tells you she wants to poop but poops on queue! How on earth did you teach her to do that?
Old December 6th, 2009, 10:10 PM
At Cat-Pacity

Catlover2 - You wait until she shows signs she's about to go (she fluffs up her butt and wiggles her behind) and then you shout "POOP!" in a really excited voice, like she was obeying you. Then you cheer when she inevitably goes. Soon she associates that excitement and praise with the action, and voila! Toilet trained! (Obviously she doesn't go if she doesn't have to, but we can usually read her well enough to know if she's "empty" or not.) Penny was toilet trained in about 4 months, faster than she learned to talk!

Macomom - birds absolutely cuddle! Parrots are amazingly cuddly and can chill out with you for hours (depending on the species). My first budgie when I was a kid, Tweeter, would cuddle up to my mom while she played Solitaire on the computer and whisper birdy nothings in her ear. It was the cutest thing, like he was letting her in on all his secrets! Penny does the same thing, and climbs under Rick's neck to snuggle under his chin. He's not allowed to move until she's good and ready to leave - that's another problem with parrots of course, they can be bullies!
Incidentally - the last picture in my last post isn't my husband, it's my best friend's husband, and that was the first time Penny had met him (he's a REALLY BIG cat person.) She ran straight up his arm, keeled over on the back of his neck and went to sleep! She only does this with men... any men... below she is snuggling with an acquaintance of ours she had just met, my husband napping with her under his chin, and Penny defending her chin-spot.

Rainbow - we actually had to turn down a couple of houses we loved because there wasn't a suitable "bird room", since obviously we can't allow the kitties and Pen to mix socially! Turdlet is fairly safe because he's too dumpy to jump up, but Nibs and Little (the little hunter that she is) could jump up the cage. Little ran into the bird room once and took a flying leap and latched onto the cage bars on the side of the cage, which gave us all a bit of a shock! Cats have a bacteria in their saliva called pasteurella which can be immediately toxic to birds, so we can't afford even a scratch. Kitties aren't allowed in the bird room, zero tolerance. They seem to respect it, but of course they're curious.

Sorry for the totally bird lesson, but I'm always willing to promote the parrot-lovin' lifestyle!
Attached Images

Old December 7th, 2009, 04:38 AM
-

LOL .....didn't mind the bird lesson at all.

I love those pics of PennyLane and your hubby .....she certainly does love her daddy.

And, "Turdlet" ....do I want to know how he got a name like that? ....def need to see pics.
Old December 7th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Ker13,I love reading about happy parrots and Penny sure seems to be,they are such sociable creatures
My sons landlord has 2 different types of Parrots,they are never in their cages,he has bird perches hanging all over the ceilings,consequently also bird-poop on the floor.
He also has 3 cats,one suffering from some kind of allergy,I am thinking it could be from bird-poop
Also these birds do not socialize,but they love each other.
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:49 AM
At Cat-Pacity

Rainbow - here is Turd Ferguson O'Malley (my husband's cat). Turdlet is more of a dog than a cat and sleeps at my husband's feet each night and waits for him by the front door every day. He was named after the Saturday Night Live "Celebrity Jeopardy" skit where Burt Reynolds only answers to the name "Turd Ferguson" ("It's funny!") You can always tell when my husband names a cat... I fear for our future kids (Han & Starbuck.) Interesting note: Turdlet is also a notorious poop-hockey player, but we only found that out after he was named.

Chico
- 2 birds together will often ignore humans in favour of each other, and they're usually difficult to speech-train (unless it's a species known for speech, like African Greys). That's the main reason we only got 1 bird - that and the fact that 1+1 birds make a lot more noise than just 2 birds!!
Attached Images

Old December 8th, 2009, 11:26 AM

I think I have a crush on Turd. He looks like he's got the white toe thing going on like my mom's cat Jessie - he's black all the way down his front legs but then his toes are white. It's freakishly adorable!

I've loved your parrot lessons. I've considered getting a parrot but it's like a 50 year commitment right? I haven't even committed to a guy that long so I'm not sure if I'm up to a bird. On the other hand, maybe birds are better than guys? No offense fellas, I'm just askin' the question!
Old December 9th, 2009, 11:06 AM
At Cat-Pacity

rjesak - Parrots are a huge commitment, not just in terms of longevity but in terms of involvement. If they are lonely or bored, they can easily become "messed up" and can resort to biting, feather plucking or even self-mutilation. Some breeds are more independant than others, but usually the more intelligent breeds (like African Greys, Macaws or Eclectus) are harder to entertain and therefore more likely to engage in (self-)destructive behaviours. This means you have to keep them busy - toys to play with, things to destroy, and at least 1-3 hours of good quality human interaction each day. It's very similar to having a child - all kinds of personality disorders can result in an ignored animal, and "parrot psychology" is a growing niche market. You're also right about the longevity - it's very common for a larger species to outlive it's owner, and certain birds, like Greys or Cockatoos, are re-homed on average 3 times in their lifespan. A coworker's brother recently had a Grey willed to him by a deceased friend - now THAT'S a change in lifestyle!

Parrots can also be bullies, and will sometimes bite you just to see what you do about it. Certain species are more prone to bullying than others - green-cheeked conures (similar to Penny but mostly green) are notorious bullies and have been known to take on animals, birds and humans much larger than them, and our vet told us on Monday that her Senegal (about the same size as Penny) bullies both her Labs and chases them around the house!

That being said - my husband is definitely a cat person but gets a huge amount of pleasure in playing on his computer with the bird on his shoulder, chatting away to him or playing around him, being preened by her and sharing his food with her, getting kisses from her and having her cuddle up to him for hours, or talking with her. That level of interaction just isn't there with a cat. Penny is curious, intelligent and excitable and likes getting reactions out of people (see "dead bird trick" above!), and loves being in the thick of things. She is therefore more inclined to do tricks, be cute or be pesky than the kitties, because she gets a rise out of us. There's nothing cuter than tucking her in at night, turning off the lights, saying "Good night Penny!" and hearing "Good girl! Mwah!" back.

Hope this answers your question!
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:46 PM

Definitely. Realistically, although I'd like a parrot, I wouldn't consider one right now for the same reason I won't consider getting a dog - my time at home. I telework two days a week which is great but on the three days I go into work, my commute is around 2 and 1/2 hours each way so I'm only home to sleep.

Thanks for the bird lessons though - I've really enjoyed reading these posts. The dead bird thing almost made me wet myself with laughter - that is hilarious!!!
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Keri,here is my sons landlords birds,the green one he's had for years,picked up the grey one in a pet-store for $150,they really love each other,adorable to watch.
The grey one is in pretty bad shape on the pic,but now he's beautiful.
Attached Images