Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 15th, 2010, 02:17 AM
-

Costco Has a New Grain Free Kibble

Costco now has a new grain free kibble available called Nature's Domain. It's only available in a salmon & sweet potato formula for anyone that is interested ....

http://www.naturesdomainpetfood.com/...natures-domain
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Live well, laugh often

Looks pretty good . I am always a bit leary of foods made by Diamond Foods but costco makes a great product for a fair price for those who need a more affordable food. Definately much better then a lot of the mid-range foods .
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:05 AM
-

I know ....I'm leary of their plants as well but there are lots here that feed the Kirkland brand without any problems so now they have another option.
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:10 AM
Live well, laugh often

I might even point this out to my mom and have her rotate it through with the other kibbles she feeds .
Old January 15th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I don't know, looks good, but says my dog would need 3-4 cups a day, with Orijen I only need half that amount, so I don't know if it would even be worth it.

But it looks much better then some of those grocery store brands

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 15th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Great but costco always seems to have better quality food for dogs than for cats...what about the kitties??

I used to feed kirkland way back when..if they provided better options for cats too I would probably switch foods.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:12 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
I don't know, looks good, but says my dog would need 3-4 cups a day, with Orijen I only need half that amount, so I don't know if it would even be worth it.
Looking at the chart the Bassets' would need 4 - 5 cups per day, currently they get 2 cups of Acana per day with some canned/cooked added and they are still overweight ...........I don't trust Menu Foods though
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Looking at the chart the Bassets' would need 4 - 5 cups per day, currently they get 2 cups of Acana per day with some canned/cooked added and they are still overweight ...........I don't trust Menu Foods though
Mine also gets some can added (or he wouldn't eat it otherwise) and does get table scraps.....but would rather bury those then eat them gardening this spring should be very interesting

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Money has been awfully tight in our house lately....I would love to mix this with Orijen to make it go further. But I'm really leery of the manufactuer. Oy....
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:04 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Money has been awfully tight in our house lately....I would love to mix this with Orijen to make it go further. But I'm really leery of the manufactuer. Oy....
Chaser....Horizon is a Canadian manufacturer, it is also cheaper (don't know how much cheaper), the Global that I go to doesn't stock it otherwise I would give it a try.
Old January 15th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Chaser....Horizon is a Canadian manufacturer, it is also cheaper (don't know how much cheaper), the Global that I go to doesn't stock it otherwise I would give it a try.
Horizon isn't actually cheaper at my Global than Orijen. I love their product though - Rupert used to eat Legacy before all his weird allergy stuff started - but it's too pricey to feed to both dogs.

I think I'll wait a bit and see how this new Costco one does. If there are no complaints/horror stories after a while I might mix it with Orijen. It's a tough call though

Old January 15th, 2010, 01:15 PM
-

Hmmm....I always thought it was, thanks for the heads up.
Old January 15th, 2010, 01:56 PM
-

Quote:
Quote:
I agree ....I also would have to feed my boys twice as much according to their chart so not worth it imo.

I also wouldn't feed it because of the manufacturer .....like I've said over and over here "it is best to feed something that is made at the company's own manufacturing plant.

Quote:
Horizon isn't actually cheaper at my Global than Orijen.
Horizon Legacy wasn't cheaper than Orijen here either the last time I looked. We've had to switch to Acana Provincial (and sometimes regular Acana) because of our income situation right now but once that hopefully improves then I want to start rotating Legacy with the Orijen.
Old January 15th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Hmmm....I always thought it was, thanks for the heads up.
I'll do a comparison next time I'm there to check for sure. But i'm pretty sure it's either the same price or a little cheaper, but I think you need to feed more than with Orijen so in the end it's more expensive.

Old January 15th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Horizon Legacy wasn't cheaper than Orijen here either the last time I looked. We've had to switch to Acana Provincial (and sometimes regular Acana) because of our income situation right now but once that hopefully improves then I want to start rotating Legacy with the Orijen.
Agreed - I really love Legacy. Really great quality, and I would like to offer the dogs more variety and not have them eating so much potato. It's nice that Horizon doesn't use it so you can vary a bit.

I wish I could switch to Acana but it's not cheaper for me here either! Seems it is out west, but for me I might as well keep feeding Orijen. It seems nothing even sort of close in quality will work out to be any cheaper

Old January 15th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Live well, laugh often

Riley gets kibble in morning and raw at night. I also buy a lot of food for my mom's dog Sam. I like to rotate through Orijen, Acana Grasslands and Horizon Legacy. Legacy is cheaper per bad here (was $56 in Dec). I just bought a bag of Acana and it jumped $4 a bag from last time .

For those thinking of the extra food. The calories are per cup:

Orijen regular - 470
Orijen fish - 460
Orijen senior - 395
Horizen Legacy - 420
Acana Grasslands - 430
Costco Grain free - 336
Old January 15th, 2010, 02:18 PM
-

Quote:
Agreed - I really love Legacy. Really great quality, and I would like to offer the dogs more variety and not have them eating so much potato. It's nice that Horizon doesn't use it so you can vary a bit.

That's what I like about it too.

I wish I could switch to Acana but it's not cheaper for me here either! Seems it is out west, but for me I might as well keep feeding Orijen. It seems nothing even sort of close in quality will work out to be any cheaper
But Orijen/Acana is the only thing that is cheaper out here .....we need to get a break on something.
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
But Orijen/Acana is the only thing that is cheaper out here .....we need to get a break on something.
LOL...fair enough!

Cost-wise I would really love to try 1/3 Costco with 2/3 Orijen or therabouts. But the "What ifs" are just too risky I think. I'd be in a panic over every little hiccup thinking their food is tainted and about to kill them....I'm bad like that. I think I'm stuck paying through the nose for their food.....and I hope FH doesn't catch on that Costco has a grain-free, because he'll want to switch!

Old January 15th, 2010, 03:38 PM
-

Quote:
LOL...fair enough!

Cost-wise I would really love to try 1/3 Costco with 2/3 Orijen or therabouts. But the "What ifs" are just too risky I think. I'd be in a panic over every little hiccup thinking their food is tainted and about to kill them....I'm bad like that. I think I'm stuck paying through the nose for their food.....and I hope FH doesn't catch on that Costco has a grain-free, because he'll want to switch!
Yep, I would be the same.

And, this is actually one time that I'm thankful that we don't have a Costco here. When I was checking out PC's new food hubby was all for buying it until I pointed out to him that it was only $5.00 less per bag than the regular Acana (with grains) is.
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:17 PM
-

Quote:
I'll do a comparison next time I'm there to check for sure. But i'm pretty sure it's either the same price or a little cheaper, but I think you need to feed more than with Orijen so in the end it's more expensive.
Thanks Chaser, I'd be interested to know how much the Horizon is....Now I'm paying $68.99 for a large bag of the Grasslands, it just went up $3.00 a bag....I do get 10% discount because Ethel works for the OSPCA but even so things are real tight
Old January 15th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Thanks Chaser, I'd be interested to know how much the Horizon is....Now I'm paying $68.99 for a large bag of the Grasslands, it just went up $3.00 a bag....I do get 10% discount because Ethel works for the OSPCA but even so things are real tight
Not a problem. I'll be in there within the next week to re-stock on painfully expensive food for the furballs

Old January 16th, 2010, 10:29 AM

I'm happy to see that more and more companies are starting to make grain-free dog food.

I'd be interested to see how other's dogs do on it...

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old January 16th, 2010, 12:06 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Huge fan of quality over quantity besides in the long run it's actually cheaper
Old January 16th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
I was into my Ryan's today (Hamilton - Main & Dundurn).

A large bag of Horizon Legacy Adult is $65.99 + tax. In comparison, the same size of Orijen is $68.99.

So Legacy is a good idea as far as variety goes, but the savings aren't exactly significant I don't think...

Old January 18th, 2010, 03:34 PM
-

Thanks again Chaser....money wise, it isn't worth it.....no potato sounds good though. Maybe I'll talk to the owners of Global, they are very accommodating. I was talking with them a couple of weeks back and due to the way the economy is going they have started stocking some of the cheaper brands.
Old January 18th, 2010, 03:39 PM
-

Horizon Legacy is pretty much the same price as Orijen here. Once I get my free bag card filled for Orijen I'm going to give the Legacy a try to give the boys a break from potatoes.
Old January 18th, 2010, 03:51 PM
-

Quote:
Horizon Legacy is pretty much the same price as Orijen here. Once I get my free bag card filled for Orijen I'm going to give the Legacy a try to give the boys a break from potatoes.
I thought you was using Acana .....are the potatoes fattening for the guys, Reb and Skip could do with losing a few pounds. Jack has put weight on since he is with us, which I wanted but I would like him to remain where he is at.
Old January 18th, 2010, 04:01 PM
-

I switch back and forth between Orijen and Acana Provincial and have even used the regular Acana when we have watch our pennies some months.

The last time we needed dog food the Acanaa Provincial was incresed to $59 a bag but the Orijen was still old stock and was $62 so I got the Orijen. The pet store puts them both on the same customer appreciation card and whichever one you buy the most of after 12 bags then that's the brand you get for free.

The potatoes aren't any more fattening than any other carbohydrate as far as I know.
Old January 18th, 2010, 04:05 PM
-

They do the same here, I hate it when they have the old and new priced stuff on the shelf, I feel like I'm being ripped......so what's with anti potato if it is no more fattening?
Old January 18th, 2010, 04:18 PM
-

I'm not anti-potato ....I just think it's good to rotate brands of dog food so they get more variety. I will only rotate brands that are made at the company's own manufacturing plant though so that limits my choices.

Another thing is that supposedly both rice and potatoes can aggravate arthritis in some dogs so since Horizon doesn't use either it could be a good option.

Last edited by rainbow; January 18th, 2010 at 04:31 PM.