Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old December 2nd, 2007, 06:14 PM
Garden nut

Kitty toilet training w/ video

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1965

A woman watched the cat on the "Meet the Fockers" movie and was inspired to train her kitty to use the toilet.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I briefly thought about toilet training mine to use the toilet, but then I read a few sites and what they said made sense.

Many times when our cats are ill, we know it by what we see in the litter box. How would you know if your cat used the toilet?

Not to mention, at the time I was thinking about doing it, Vlad was still small, and Oksana even smaller. I was terrified that I'd leave the toilet seat up and Oksana would jump and slip in and not be able to get herself out.

Litter is expensive, but I'd rather just have them use a litter box.

Besides, what if one day they aren't feeling well and don't feel like jumping up there?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:37 PM
Garden nut

Plus it might tempt them to shred toilet paper.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old December 4th, 2007, 06:09 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Not to mention that it might be well and good to teach them to use the toilet, but how likely would it be to get them to flush?

Nothing like having company over.. "Oh, yeah, that was the cat... "

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old December 9th, 2007, 08:08 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I briefly thought about toilet training mine to use the toilet, but then I read a few sites and what they said made sense.

Many times when our cats are ill, we know it by what we see in the litter box. How would you know if your cat used the toilet?

Not to mention, at the time I was thinking about doing it, Vlad was still small, and Oksana even smaller. I was terrified that I'd leave the toilet seat up and Oksana would jump and slip in and not be able to get herself out.

Litter is expensive, but I'd rather just have them use a litter box.

Besides, what if one day they aren't feeling well and don't feel like jumping up there?
i have to agree with you.

i also dont agree with the video that cats wont drink from a fouled water toilet. i can assure you they will, quite heartily.
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

It is not healthy of normal to teach cats to use the toilet. I know it is trendy and some people like to do it but all the data and studies show the opposite. The fact that the cat has to sit in an abnormal stance can lead to arthritis- even after a relatively short period of time (Cornell Univ Vet School - one of he best vet schools, esp for research), as well as the fact older cats may have trouble as they age getting to the top of the toilet. There are a variety of reasons but I am still exhasuted and not up to recallingf them or the urls that explain this far better thgan I just now.

YY's mother was toilet trained but she reverted to form after the kittens' birth so her meomy decided that is what she was most comfortable with.

The only things this serves is humans and I suppose I would be for it on one condition. If someone living situation necessitated they do this, it might be one solution - ie, get rid of the cat or kind of situation. Other than that,m I can see no really good reason for doing it. Cats do well with litter and it is safe and easy. What happens when you travel with kitty? There are an abundance of unanswered questions.

Cats are creatures of habit and while they can adjust to it from kittenhood - I think I'd rather not fool around with the prospects of added arthritis for my cats at any age.