Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old March 1st, 2012, 06:30 PM

Blue Buffalo:Life Protection Formula vs Blue longevity -- Difference?

Hey everybody, we are going to be switching to Blue Buffalo so that our golden retriever can get something healthier and better for him to eat.

After browsing sites and the Blue Buffalo site, I do not understand why they have these two types of Blue food:

-Life Protection Formula
-Blue longevity

Does anybody have some feedback on these foods? it seems like the life protection formula is their main dog food that they push, but this longevity version, is it more healthier then the other one?

Any suggestions/feedback on this? has anybody looked into this before?
Old March 1st, 2012, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Just a word of caution... I'd be very careful with Blue Buffalo. I know it's a popular food and a lot of people swear by it, but the first time I decided to try any of their products, it was the Blue Health bars. Both of my dogs got very sick. Then I found out they had recalls, so I did a search and found the recalls on the FDA website. It was the 2 exact Health Bars I had purchased for my boys. I rushed them to the vet, and fortunately, no long term damage as they hadn't eaten many of them. Blue Buffalo has had a few recalls and one of them was on one of the foods you listed. I don't know if they have had anything recent, but myself, I wouldn't take a chance with a company who outsources ingredients from China. Good luck

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old March 1st, 2012, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the post!

about the food, honestly what food isn't outsourced one way or another? Apple Iphones are made in china...but are they poor quality? no. Human error happens in manufacturing and it's typical. BUT on their defense, with the amount of good reviews listed...I would still feel more confident buying Blue Buffalo then going with costco/pedigre/walmart based foods.

Well lets hope that they can eliminiate their errors and recalls haha

Tags
blue, buffalo, formula, life, protection