Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old April 14th, 2010, 02:27 PM

Lightbulb "Bandit" (pit bull/lab cross) put down !

And the THS is right smack in the middle of this
controversial issue once again...

linky: http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local.../?hub=CP24Home

Old April 14th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

RIP Bandit..

Run free of any barriers, muzzles and confinement.

Just a note. We can point fingers in all different directions on who it is to blame..THS or OSPCA..bottom line, the owners did not do right by this dog period. If there is any blame in all this, it belongs there.

I am not pro THS nor OSPCA..I just think this whole case has sucked the life out of everyone including this dog.
Old April 14th, 2010, 02:56 PM
-

I am so sick and tired of everyone going overboard when Pits are involved. If it was any other breed that had bitten someone , it would have been put down. No questions asked. But everytime it's a Pit , you have people who scream bloody murder ...

I'm sorry but a dog who is aggressive towards people or pets , IMO , needs to be put down , regardless of the breed.
Old April 14th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Live well, laugh often

Rest easy Bandit. I hope life at the rainbow bridge is a much better place then your time here on earth was .
Old April 14th, 2010, 03:05 PM
-

*******s.

Damn *******s.

Nobody..no ONE..no how... deserves that.
Old April 14th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

MX3 - what would be the solution then? The dog was ordered to be PTS due to not one but multiple incidents. Who would risk taking this dog? The dog is clearly a liability.

My point is this: I pull about 10 dogs and the odd few cats per week that are going to be euthanized NOT because there has ever been an incident, but just because. The ones I can help are lucky...the others perish and these animals had no issues, no incidents...they were at the wrong place at the wrong time and faciliators such as myself only have so many resources to network.

Regardless of the breed or domestic species, every animal deserves a chance at redemption...if feasible. In this case, I am not sure that it was after all these years of being cooped up and living in an abnormal highly stressful environment.

In saying the above this is a sad situtation. Death is final.
Old April 14th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

RIP pretty boy, at least you're no longer caged, no children will harm you and you'll never be abused again. Run free over the bridge.
Old April 14th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Melinda - did a child harm him which resulted in the child getting over 200 stitches? How did this child harm the dog.

I am not being confrontational, however I am not familiar with all the facts. So I take it that this dog was badly hurt by this child then?
Old April 14th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

It's strange,I was just going to ask about Bandit and here he is now put down.
I could not understand why this poor dog has had to live in a cage for several years,while hundreds of Pit-Bulls and crosses had to die just because,not because of aggression.

I know Tim Trow took care of him and fought for him,but there was obviously no future for him,not sure what TT's agenda was.
It always saddens me when animals have to die because of human ignorance,but I believe in Bandits case,there was just no other way.
Bandit,now you can finally rest
Old April 14th, 2010, 04:40 PM

Hmmm strange.....CP 24 editors have revised the contents of the link 3x
since I've posted this morning.

Original article had pixs of both Bandit & the kid he inflicted 200 stitches to.

Perplexing
Old April 14th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Doggie Wench

Bandit bit a child after a grandmother left them alone together. The child pushed a pencil deep into his ear. Not sure if this happened in 2003 or 2004...at least 6 years ago.

Bandit never had a chance...no one ever gave him one. Keeping him locked up all this time since certainly did nothing to rehabilitate him. If he fell into the right hands, at the very beginning, I'm sure his destiny would have been different. As usual, innocent victims (in this case, both the young boy and Bandit) pay for the stupidity and ignorance of people.

Bandit
Old April 14th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Senior Contributor

It is just plain irresponble owners, who don't have an animal(s) best interest at heart. I feel for dogs like Bandit. I believe that any animal that is brought into any shelter, and is showing signs that need to be looked at, every resource should be looked at first. Animals that have "issues", a shelter environment is the worst place. Animals like these should be fostered by staff and or a professional. When put in foster, the rehab begins.

Sadly, sometimes no matter how much rehab work, sometimes the animal just doesn't come around...and more so then not, we humans are to blame.

ACO22
Old April 14th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

"Bandit"

Why he had to linger in a cage for 3 yr. to prove what? that he could be rehabilitated and trusted around people, not if that was his 3rd. incident of biting so he should have been pts at that time.
Old April 14th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.pettet View Post
Why he had to linger in a cage for 3 yr. to prove what? that he could be rehabilitated and trusted around people, not if that was his 3rd. incident of biting so he should have been pts at that time.
I do not understand why he was kept locked up for 3 yrs either, if he was dangerous, or any other dog for that matter, he/they should have been sent over the bridge sooner. Not made to suffer.
Old April 14th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Bandit bit a child after a grandmother left them alone together. The child pushed a pencil deep into his ear. Not sure if this happened in 2003 or 2004...at least 6 years ago.

Bandit never had a chance...no one ever gave him one. Keeping him locked up all this time since certainly did nothing to rehabilitate him. If he fell into the right hands, at the very beginning, I'm sure his destiny would have been different. As usual, innocent victims (in this case, both the young boy and Bandit) pay for the stupidity and ignorance of people.

Bandit
I so agree with you
Old April 14th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Senior Contributor

How old was the boy at the time, old enough to know better than to do that to a dog(any dog)?
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I was reading the little boy tried to kiss Bandit,not anything as horrific as sticking a pen in his earno excuse,but if that was the case,maybe any dog would have reacted with aggression.

The mauling incident happened in 2003,so Bandit spent 6 1/2 years at THS according to the Star.

There is also pictures of the 2 pups in Brampton,Rambo and Brittany,I hope the future for them will be to go back to their owners,where they belong...they've done nothing wrong
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:43 AM
-

I was trying to find something on the web about the pencil, I could only find comments referring to it but, I remember when it happened. The pencil thing was kept very quiet in the media (naturally ~ "if it bleeds (and it was done by a pitbull) it leads",
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
I was trying to find something on the web about the pencil, I could only find comments referring to it but, I remember when it happened. The pencil thing was kept very quiet in the media (naturally ~ "if it bleeds (and it was done by a pitbull) it leads",
you are so right
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:27 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
This blog writer who was a dog walker at the THS for some years details it MMM. I you scroll down to Monday's entry, it is written there.

http://animalfarm-selkie.blogspot.com/

Goldfields - to answer your question, the boy was 2 years old.
Old April 15th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Ok Chris,now I am crying,what a very poignant article,well written.
At least Bandits struggle and imprisonment is over There are thousands of others waiting to suffer the same fate,most having done no harm,thank's to BenMax and others some have a better future.

Last edited by chico2; April 15th, 2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:02 AM
-

This is just MY opinion.... Ethel was born into a house with 5 dogs of different sizes and temperament, they were not particularly fond of her especially when she was crawling. If she approached too closely they would up and move. Sometimes with a low growl added (especially the Bassets)....I can honestly say that I never witnessed her bothering any of them in an unacceptable way.....That being said if she had of, and one of them snapped at her IMO that would be more than sufficient.....Bandit injured this boy to the tune of 200 or 250 or 300 stitches (depends on which article you read)....I consider that more than a warning.

It is also said that he bit 3 workers and maimed a mother cat...why did he bite 3 workers....who knows the circumstances..... How come he was allowed access to cats...another enigma

Bandit you were used as a tool in Tim Trow's Tickle Trunk.
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Senior Contributor

agree'd completely, he should be held accountable in more ways than one