Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old July 21st, 2005, 08:06 PM

Question about a mixed breed dog Shih-zu / jack russell

Our family is looking at adopting a mixed breed shih-tzu/jack russell and was wondering if anyone had any comments on what we might be looking at with this mix of dog. He's about a year old , neutered , crate trained , house trained , gets along with other dogs and cats ,, both in his foster home.

Anything to worry about now or in the future ,, any suggestions?

Thanks , Gord

Last edited by White Wolf; July 21st, 2005 at 08:58 PM. Reason: added the 'h' to shih tzu, so it wasn't sensored.
Old July 21st, 2005, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor

It depends if has characteristic of either breed, or a mix of both.

For any new dog, set out the rules, do NOT give him freedom of the house right away, and make sure he's on a strict schedule for awhile at least, until he feels confident and secure in his new home.
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:19 PM

Can you take the doggy for a test weekend? That's the only way to get a grasp of how he might possibly behave, and even then it won't be the whole picture.

All I can say is don't get a Jack mix if you don't have the time to give him at least a couple of hours of exercise a day. And don't get a shih-mix if you don't want a dog who follows you around 24/7.

I say research the best and worst of both breeds, if indeed that is his mix for sure, and see if there is anything in either breed that you would not tolerate.
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:42 PM

Thank you for the quick responses ,,,as a part of the adoption process throught this rescue shelter , you have a week or two with the dog in the house to decide if you're right for each other , so i was wondering what the pro's / con's were to this mix , that way we have an idea going into the week long ,or more , visit.

I have no problem with the dog following me around ,, i like the company and have missed it since i put my lab/border collie down a couple of years ago.

We're looking at a smaller dog as our earlier mix was a great dog , but a little to large for our liking. Also i need to get out and get more excercise due to high blood pressure , high chloresteral and extra baggage around the waistline LOL ,, so something with a little extra energy would be the ticket for me. I'm stuck inside all day and sit in front of this thing to much at night and need to get out and do something ,, a little fellow would be perfect for a nice long walk at night.

I've read up on the JR but don't really get a good drift on the SZ when it comes to it's character traits.

I'm just afraid that the family will fall in love with this little ball of fur and have a hard time giving it up at the end of the week ,,,,but there's four adults in this house so there will be plenty of people around to get the little guy out a few times a day. I'm just afraid of what i read about what the JR's can be like off the leash and allowed to run. I guess a lot of training will be ahead of us.

Once again part of the adoption is a 8 week course to help dog and family adjust to each other and to give tips on how to train them in their problem areas , plus they're big on making sure that the dogs stay adopted and encourage the new owners to contact them with any problems and they'll help with any suggestions.

I'm hoping that the SZ will be more of a dominant feature with this mix and maybe balance out the JR side ,,,but we'll see.

Thanks
Gord
Old July 22nd, 2005, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

I have to come to the defence of the Jack Russell.

There is/was 2 on my dads street.Friends of my dad.They are both senior owners.Rebas owner is now in a home due to Alz.Daughter took Reba.Reba was the sweetest,calmest dog.You would always see Alice taking Reba for a walk,baggie in hand.Reba loved everyone.And never bothered cats.Ross,who is still on the street,also has a very calm one.Now for the life of me I can never remember the dogs name...LOL.This dog also loves people and has never chased a cat.And loves other dogs.His son has 2 GSD's.The only time this dog goes rangy is in the car.I always got a kick watching him go zoomy in the back seat.Then Ross put him in his crate.There are also 3 JR in my area.Very calm,walking nicely,not hyper.I alway bump into the one owner Andrea when I'm out with Tron.I guess it's all on how you train them.And it seems that all the effert pays off in the end.....

As for the Shih Tzu,here is what I have about them

The role of the companion and household is the sole purpose of the Shih Tzu.Therefore,the personality is outgoing,affectionate,happy and friendly.Intelligent and docile.The breed really attracts admirers.

If I recall,we have a Shih Tzu owner on here.

Also,since he is in a foster home,it's easier to know what his bad/good habits are.This the foster Mom will let the shelter know.
Old October 16th, 2007, 09:40 AM

Reply to Gordow question in July 07

I have just joined the pet forum and I hope that Gordow was able to adopt a Jack Russell/Shih Tzu (prounced she-zu). We have had two. The first was a surprise but a very happy surprise. We lost one of our Shih Tzu's at 15 years of age with cancer and got another puppy to go with our other Shih Tzu so she would not be lonely. The puppy never really developed the shih tzu look and the breeder called us to let us know that some of the puppies were a mix as there was a male jack russell next door and she even had the male shih tzu she was breeding with the female shih tzu (oops!) She apologized and offered some of our money back because it was not a full bred shih tzu. She had two puppies that were mixed out of the litter. We named her Dotti Lynn and grew to love her so much. We did not want the money back. She is now 6 years old and lives with our daughter who is married now and after they got their own place to live, her and her husband took her to keep her as she was bought to be her new dog. We sure missed her so our daughter found us another jack russell/shih tzu puppy and she has been amazing. She minds really well but it takes time. She is a playing machine and a cuddler too. She is really smart and has learned several things. She shakes your hand, catches a ball in the air, wants to go bye-bye all the time, rides real well in car with us, and begs real good. We lost our other shih tzu at almost 15 years with Cushing's Disease and we really missed having a dog around. Now my husband wants another Jack Russell/Shih Tzu. She has been a lot healthier than our shih tzu's, as far as allergies and sensitive stomachs. We love her very much and I hope you made the right decision to adopt one. Thanks. This forum is great!
Old October 16th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

The original post was from 2005
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:27 PM

Jack Russell/Shih tzu puppies

My husband and I have a jack/shihtzu puppy. He's an interesting mix. We got him at 8 weeks old and he trained pretty quick. We kennel trained him first but now he sleeps on the bed. He's house trained quicker than we thought he would. We are hoping to put him in obedience school soon. He tends to have the brains, agility, color, and personality of the jack russell. His eyes, body and fur are like the shihtzu. He is a very good dog but you have to be consistent in training them, especially if they have more jack in them.
Old April 27th, 2008, 04:56 PM

Well i actually have a jackrussel cross with ****-zu and he is very down to earth he loves to run around. Their very good with kids. but with the one we have we also think hes something else so were not sure yet but good luck!
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:28 PM

****zu-jack russell mix

i have one, he is a great dog. a little hyper at times, but nothing out of control. i have friends that have one to, very well mannered dogs. i think you will be happy with him/her.
Old July 29th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor

this post is from ages and ages ago
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog