Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 2nd, 2005, 03:53 PM
Kitty Consort

Smile Do you kiss your pets?

We all show our affection differently, of course. Some people are just naturally more demonstrative than others, with both their human and animal loved ones :love:

I dont kiss my pets, never have. I hug them, cuddle them, pat them, talk baby-talk to them sometimes.
Kissing them is just not a habit I have ever acquired. I'm aware though that many pet lovers do bestow little pecks of love on their animal companions.
I see it everywhere.
I was walking Percy in a local park, had a nice conversation with a young man sitting on the grass beside his Jack Russell terrier. I was really amused to see him kiss the top of its head about five or six times.. he didnt appear to realize he was even doing this.
I think the top of the head, and for cats.. the tummy and paw are all favourites, and seem very sweet and endearing .
Kissing a dog or cat on the mouth is something I could never do myself, but I have certainly seen a lot of people do this too.

Its all a matter of habit and custom, but so far, I have not talked to ONE single pet owner who said they "didnt" occassionally kiss their pet..

This has me curious, and feeling a bit 'strange".
Am I the only person on the planet who doesnt give little pet smooches?
Old April 2nd, 2005, 03:56 PM
Performance Spaniels

I occassionally kiss the top of my pup's head.

What gets me is watching people share food with their pets. And I don't mean pieces, I mean like licking an ice cream cone together. I've seen that at parks a few times. Something about that squicks me out.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 04:04 PM
banned user

I don't kiss all of mine, the dog wouldn't sit still long enough, and if he did, I'm pretty sure he would sneak one himself and that is yuck considering he used to eat his own poop!

The only one I kiss is Sneaky (every other cat does not seem interested)... every time I sit on the couch she hops in my lap... I am not saying she's annoying but I haven't had a free lap in the last 4 years, anyway, trying to put her down just seemed wrong and I felt bad to take her off my lap so when she does this and I've had enough, I pick her up, kiss her head and put her on the back of the couch. (she will immediately do a lap around the living room and do it all over again) :love:

Last edited by Sneaky2006; April 2nd, 2005 at 04:20 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 04:15 PM

I kiss the Boyz ALL the time :love:
Usually on the top of the head, but their paws also tend get a few smooches ... especially after nail clipping
My little Sam is the really affectionate one ... he does head buts against my chin/mouth/nose/eyebrows so it's really hard not to give kisses to that!!
Old April 2nd, 2005, 04:20 PM
banned user

Rita you just reminded me of something! Snooky does the head-butt thing on my face sometimes and yes he gets kisses when he does that! It IS very hard not to when they do that!
Old April 2nd, 2005, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh,Oh...I slobber all over my cats,their little wet noses and yes,right on the mouth and wherever I can They are used to it and don't object,usually..
I've also let them have a lick of an icecream cone I was eating,it's not going to kill me,there are a lot of worse stuff I eat,I'm sure...
I know they lick their butt,but..Oh well,I am not very squeemish(Sp?)
My Vinnie does the headbutt thing too and does he ever have a lot of strenght in his little head
Old April 2nd, 2005, 05:39 PM

My husband thinks it's disgusting, but yes...my dog gets it on the nose, mouth, head and just about everywhere. (within reason ) I just can't resist!
Old April 2nd, 2005, 05:44 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

lmao

I smooch em all including my pot bellied pig!
Old April 2nd, 2005, 05:52 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

I kiss all of my babies!! I kiss and hug my dog so much, my friends and family often tell me to "get a room!" I can't help myself, Copper is so kissable!!! And I love rubbing their noses! Cats have such cute little noses!! I used to have a boyfriend who would get jealous because my cat got more affection than he did!! The affection must be contagious because every once in a while, I catch my fiance giving my dog a kiss on top of his head!
Old April 2nd, 2005, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes!! They all get kisses - from rats to dogs!! They are all used to it, although sometimes I kiss Chloe so much (she's just so CUTE!) that she pushes me away.

I've let certain cats of mine share my food too! It did gross my husband out to see me alternating licks of an ice cream cone with a cat, but oh well!
Old April 2nd, 2005, 06:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Definitely. My mini Dachshunds used to plant their little bodies over my face and pucker up - just try moving those big little guys. Now of course I get Eskie hugs and kisses. Couldn't imagine not kissing dogs - have kissed our previous cat - just not the one we have now!
Old April 2nd, 2005, 06:57 PM
banned user

Yes I kiss both dogs many times daily, I would also share food with them. I honestly thought everyone was like me.. guess not. I like this thread, great question
Old April 2nd, 2005, 07:54 PM

kisses

I kiss the dog and both cats every chance I can get - not a day goes by where they don't get accosted by me! They seems to enjoy it as much as I do! :love:
Old April 2nd, 2005, 08:33 PM
Kitty Consort

Well.... this is interesting.. and too funny to me!

I'd posted this to a cat board I visit, and was VERY suprised that I was the lone non-kisser.
As its predominantly American and European members though, I got to thinking... ( dont laugh at me). . maybe its a Canadian thing? We are considered more reserved by some. Maybe we are?

With a strong Canadian presence here.. would it 'balance" out, a different result?

No! So far, it's another straight clean sweep for the smoochy set So obviously its nothing to do with location.
I thought it was a fifty-fifty type thing.... I really did..

Sooooo... guess it IS just me after all...ROFL!!

Last edited by Shamrock; April 2nd, 2005 at 08:36 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 09:46 PM
banned user

I never kiss my cats, but yes I give Justice a kiss on the head after she lets me brush her ears (she seriously hates it, but thats the only place she gets mat)
What I find terribly gross, is one of my bestfriends who allows his snake to kiss his lips. he never kisses the snake, but the nskae licks his lips.
i love snakes and all, but thats just going too far
Old April 2nd, 2005, 09:56 PM
Herbie the Love Pug's Mom

I kiss my Herbie like a maniac any chance I get - on his head, his neck, his back, his puggie jowels (my favourite spot!) and yes, his little mouth too! I am a big kisser of animals and always have been. I kiss everyone's pets and even dogs I meet in the street if I am so inclined! I even kissed donkeys in Greece that were hauling people up and down the cliffs of Santorini...
I can't help it, I love animals so much and it's such a natural expression of affection for me. Not sure how often I kissed my red-eared turtles when I was a kid, but I know it happened at least a couple of times!

- Woodrow Wilson
Old April 2nd, 2005, 09:57 PM

I'll kiss the top of my cat's head (and air kiss in front of his nose) but I don't kiss my dog. Cats are just... cleaner.. in my mind, and they smell good.

The dog, however, is all too happy to kiss me, everywhere and anywhere he can reach. His favorite is cleaning my toes, but if I lean too far over, he goes for the face. And I know people who let their dogs lick their faces, but that's not my thing, so I'm careful to keep it out of reach.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 12:24 AM
Arf! Arf!

I kiss the top of my pup's head or touch my nose to his.

My Alaskan Malamute Puppy's Homepage: [url]http://members.fortunecity.com/maximus7[/url]
Old April 3rd, 2005, 12:34 AM

I have always kissed my doggies. My dad always thought it was disgusting, but my boyfriend kisses on the lips (can't choose your parents but you can choose your man!!!)...

My doggies actually know the commands "Kiss on the Beak" and "Gimme a kiss first" (before they get a cookie or a bone). The kiss on the beak is a kiss on the side of the muzzle and Jemma used to hate it but now when we have visitors, she hops up on the sofa beside them and puts her muzzle against their lips (you can't really breathe when she does this-- she pushes hard and blocks your nose) until you kiss her. My big Boo loves kisses. It used to freak me out because when I would go to kiss him he would tilt his head like he wanted some tongue. VERY KREEPY... (He also stares at me while I am in the shower but that's a different story...) Now when you go to kiss him on the beak, half the time he turns and you end up planting it right on the lips. I also kiss their paws after I cut the nails.

What I find funny is that when we kiss them on the muzzle like that, they always lick their lips after. Like it's a tasty kiss.

I can't imagine a life without kissing my dogs. Something about the vulnerability of being muzzle-to-face brings the dogs closer to me. You would only be that close to a dog you really trust and I think that is reflected in my dogs doing it to friends who come by that they really like. It's like "Here, try it. I won't bite, I'm a sweet doggy." :love:
Old April 3rd, 2005, 01:12 AM

Yes, I have always kissed my pets, and I've has pets ever since I was born. I even kissed baby chickens and hamsters. Now I give Sophie kisses, and since she's just a puppy, she does try to slip me the tongue. But then so does my 8 month old son. I just think it's cute. And I treat them both the same in ALOT of ways. For example the baby's bed is at the foot of our bed and Sophie's is right beside our bed. Her food bowls are right next to ds's high chair.

LOL! Off topic, but Sophie just discovered dd's balloons from her birthday party over a week ago and is growling at them because they are moving on their own. Now she is hiding under the baby's exersaucer and whining.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 02:17 AM

ooooh this is off topic too but is the exersaucer the one that was banned not too long ago? A couple of my aunts had those for their kids and I thought they were awesome, if that is what you are talking about... (and if you have no stairs)
Old April 3rd, 2005, 02:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh yes, absolutely!!
Old April 3rd, 2005, 04:02 AM
Has got it going on

Another kisser here. Sadie gets mauled constantly by my kisses. I'll kiss her until she whines for me to stop! She's irresistable.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 05:57 AM

I think Kuma gets annoyed with me kissing him, but .. sometimes when I yawn he sneaks a french kiss , now that's not right !
The best is when I first wake up in the morning and he gives me the most gentle little lick on my face or hand as if to say Good Morning.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 09:07 AM
owned by Tucker

Yes I kiss Tucker and the cats on top of the head, but not the lizard, crab or fish yuck.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 09:31 AM
Free The Animals

:love: Yes, it would be impossible to resist, they are just so kissable. Thank god I have 9 of them one kitty alone could never withstand that amount of affection.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 12:16 PM

My dogs get kisses galore from the whole family...and my aunts, uncles, and grandma who come over almost daily, then the rest of the family on holidays . Our new one had never had kisses and was absolutely terrified of them to begin with (she would run away with her tail between her legs and this scared look in her eyes) but now she's beginning to love them just as much as the other one. She still has a way to go though, the other one's a little kissing machine. Her favourites are feet (especially with cream), noses (not very pleasant when she does get her tongue up there), and of course she tries to steal some tongue too! We don't share our food with them though, but a family friend always does. When he's drinking something, like milk, he'll drink some, let my dog drink a little out of the glass, then drink the rest...that's just something I won't do , but oh well.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 12:22 PM
Buddy

I don't kiss all of mine, the dog wouldn't sit still long enough, and if he did, I'm pretty sure he would sneak one himself and that is yuck considering he used to eat his own poop!

someone else said the statement above, but just think of the crap people eat, Mcdonalds , burger king, and all the other fast food. I don't mind getting kisses from my dog at all.

Old April 3rd, 2005, 12:54 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Wifey and I kiss them all the time.

Sometimes they even get gentle bites on the face

Sometimes we also squeeze them till they squeek
Old April 3rd, 2005, 01:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Our new one had never had kisses and was absolutely terrified of them to begin with
Yeah, I'm always taken aback when I try to smooch my fosters, and they duck or cringe.

My own cats are so used to it and they seem to enjoy it.