Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old July 22nd, 2005, 09:25 AM

Dog with mastitis needs help (Ontario)...

I am working on the rescue of a lab mix (possibly with pit bull but I haven't seen her). Her name is Lucy and she is 2 years old. She had puppies about a month and a half ago but all have since been given away. Unfortunately it left her with a horrible case of mastitis, where one of her breasts have already exploded. I heard about her through a friend of a friend and she talked the owner (I have other words for him, believe me) into giving the dog to her so she could give it to me/QHS. His original plan was to shoot her.
The poor girl was dropped at her house this morning and someone from QHS is on their way out to pick her up. I have been told that she was ravenously eating puppy chow and even wanted to play with a ball.
I would assume she will go straight to the vet and I'm not sure what they will do from there. If anyone is interested in rescuing or fostering Lucy, please contact the shelter at (613)968-4673. Even small donations would help at this point. I have my fingers crossed that she can/will be saved.

Please crosspost to where is appropriate. Thanks!
Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:54 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh no the poor dear that is just awful!

I don't know if you ever read this thread but it may be helpful if you're interested in passing the information along. Holistic treatments can really boost the immune system and help you fight the disease.

I would gently remind them that she shouldn't be receiving any vaccinations as well. This will only weaken her immune system further.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ight=hot+spots
Old July 22nd, 2005, 11:04 AM

Thanks Luba, I will definetely pass the information along but this is a busy shelter and I doubt they'll have time for a lot of special care. Hopefully we can find a foster home or rescue to take her in and give her the treatment she needs and deserves!
Old July 22nd, 2005, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

OH poor girl!!!

I could put her on my ON Petfinder site, and beg someone to take her if you think it will help!
Old July 22nd, 2005, 11:12 AM

That would be great LuckyRescue. I'm still waiting for pictures, as well as an update from the shelter. She should be on her way back (or to the vet) right now. I'll send you more information when I get it.
Old July 29th, 2005, 09:06 PM
banned user

Kelp works for mastitis in people and I'm sure it will help with dogs aswell, I pill per day is all you would need to give.
Old July 30th, 2005, 07:49 AM

I forgot to come back and give an update on Lucy! The vet sent her back with antibiotics and an E-collar. After being on the meds for a couple of weeks she'll need to go back and have the wound stitched up.

I've met Lucy a couple times now and she is a very sweet girl. I had orginally posted that there was a possibility of her being a pit bull mix but she appears to be just a lab x, we see no pit bull. She will be put up for adoption after her wound has healed.
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Im so glad shes doing better!