Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old April 13th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

You are not that easily confused I'm sure, aslan, the dog was on a raw diet. I stopped feeding him that dry food the minute I realised what it was doing to his teeth. He is dead and gone now and to this day I still feel guilty that I listened to his breeder and continued feeding raw for a short time to suit her, when I knew he hated it and it didn't suit him. For him one day more on it was too much. And that ends any discussion on dogs' diets for me, my point is made, that it doesn't suit every dog.
14+, I know what raw means, I also know cooked bones are dangerous, but so are raw, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. People speak of dogs or cats in the wild as if nothing bad ever happened to them, when of course it would have.
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
People speak of dogs or cats in the wild as if nothing bad ever happened to them, when of course it would have.
I understand. There are some people that toute RAW and feeding raw bones as if nothing bad could happen and it would suit every dog. This is definitely not true.

I don't think I saw anyone in this thread doing that though, and you seemed to be a bit defensive about comments that weren't actually made in this thread.

Your first post was a bit confusing and it was hard to tell what point you were trying to make. You mentioned raw, but it was hard to tell whether you were saying it wasn't fed properly to that specific dog, or you were against it altogether, or just for some dogs, or what. And then you mentioned natural kibble, which this thread wasn't even about, so that was a bit off topic.
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:03 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
14+, I know what raw means, I also know cooked bones are dangerous, but so are raw, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Totally totally agree people are entitled to their own opinion.

People speak of dogs or cats in the wild as if nothing bad ever happened to them, when of course it would have.
Yep. Again I agree. Normally coyotes, cars, poison, freezing temperatures, hawks, etc.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:04 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

thanks MBIE,,,nope goldfields i'm not usually easily confused..There are members here who do feed raw and there are members who don't. My opinion is feed your pet whatever they will thrive on. Not everyones animal likes raw, some aren't big kibble fans,,some have tummy issues or allergies so have to be on certain diets. Aslong as your feeding your pet a good quality food, thats fine by me.

not sure what i said that seemed to upset you, not my intention.

I was already leaning towards raw when i met one of our members dogs who all eat raw,,penny had the most beautiful shiny coat i have ever seen and omg Lucky is sooooo soft. I watched twice a day for approximately a month just what and how much the puppers were fed and put it into practice when i got home. My big boy dropped down to a perfect weight and if you want to see a nice soft shiny golden come on over.
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:10 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
thanks MBIE,,,nope goldfields i'm not usually easily confused..There are members here who do feed raw and there are members who don't. My opinion is feed your pet whatever they will thrive on. Not everyones animal likes raw, some aren't big kibble fans,,some have tummy issues or allergies so have to be on certain diets. Aslong as your feeding your pet a good quality food, thats fine by me.

not sure what i said that seemed to upset you, not my intention.
Thanks aslan. Exactly what I wanted to say. I don't feed raw. At the moment I just don't have the time to prepare it and still do the other stuff I do. I would love to. It's my intention when some of my time frees up to do so. I have tried it with my cats. Most don't like it but, given time, I am sure I could get them off their canned and switched. It's hard with the sheer number of cats I have. My dogs I would not change at their ages.
As long as your pets are thriving and healthy -

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 13th, 2010, 04:02 PM

While bones can be dangerous and sure a dog could choke on one (they can choke on kibble too), break a tooth etc. its been MY experience that feeding my dogs raw bones (both edible and non) has been beneficial to their overall oral health and mental stimulation (ok, and my sanity too... LOL, nothing like throwing a bone at the dog and having them quiet for a few hours!).

But you do need to be careful with RAW, and with raw bones care must be taken as to what TYPE of bones the dogs chews on as to help minimize the chance of breaking a tooth.

As much as us RAW advocates always are encouraging new raw feeders to lighten up and not over-analyze everything, its still important that some thought and planning is put into a RAW diet.

I think its pointless to debate back and forth the RAW subject. Everyone has their own opinions, and my opinion is feed your dog what he/she does best on. Simply put. While I think we can make SOME generalizations re: dog nutrition, they will not hold true for EVERY dog and there certainly is exceptions.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiek View Post
I can see how a dog owner/vet would have a lot of problems with bones if they are fed COOKED, but I have never heard of a RAW bone causing any problems (yes, things can happen, but not very often).
I am a raw feeder but I recently stopped feeding raw beef marrow bones to my dogs as my sheltie cracked one of her pre-molars down to the pulp on one. The tooth had to be extracted, which was expensive, and traumatic. I dont feed beef marrow bones anymore as I feel they are too hard. I do however still feed chicken carcasses, turkey wings, pork riblets etc,smaller softer bones.
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:23 PM
Senior Contributor

TulipRoxy,is your sheltie a blue merle, or sable merle? I assume that is her in the avatar? Sorry to hear of that damage. I used to have the big shin bones cut lengthways so my cattle dogs could easily get at the marrow, until one of them got a premolar stuck in that honeycomb sort of bone inside and pulled the tooth out. Fortunately that was my foundation bitch(too big for showing) , and not her daughter, my first home bred Ch.. I'd have been so depressed if my actions had caused a show dog to lose a tooth.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:38 PM

Yes, you need to be careful with larger bones from weight-bearing animals.

Personally, most of my dogs get their bones from edible bones (i.e. ground up in patties or poultry like turkey/chicken backs and necks or carcasses - poultry are not weight-bearing animals, so their bones are softer and are safe for the dog to consume).

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old April 23rd, 2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
TulipRoxy,is your sheltie a blue merle, or sable merle? I assume that is her in the avatar?
She's a sable merle
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com
Old April 23rd, 2010, 08:27 PM
Senior Contributor

cassiek, because of trouble with bones in the past and a vet who doesn't like dogs getting bones, mine don't get them, and their chicken(human grade - they eat better than I do ) is cooked and de-boned. Those who get minced beef get it raw but I prefer not to feed raw chicken.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:23 PM
150% PRO S/N

IMO I think in order to feed a raw diet you need to do lots of research. You need to decide what you want from the diet and what you want it to do for your dog(s). Whether or not you include bone should be another factor of your research. If you want the calcium/nutrients the bone provides you can buy a good quality meat grinder and the bone can be ground fine enough not to cause any issues. If you want the benefits that chewing a bone provides you need to ensure you are getting the right size bone for your particular dog(s). I am not saying accidents don't still happen. They do. The same as accidents can happen when doing a lot of other things.
In this article:
http://www.professorshouse.com/pets/...eat-bones.aspx
it says:
Many veterinarians state that they see more problems and health complications dealing with dog toys, chewed clothing, Christmas ornaments, and plastic bags than they do from bones. Is this because few people are giving their dogs the bones based on veterinarian advice or is this because bones are actually safer in reality than we have been led to believe?

I am not saying it's a must to feed bone. I am saying every owner needs to decide what diet best suits their particular dog(s) and their lifestyles and go from there. Just my .

Another interesting read.......
http://www.squidoo.com/rawbone?utm_c...utm_source=APJ

Last edited by 14+kitties; April 23rd, 2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old April 24th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't let mine have plastic bags either 14+. Just joking, I'm pretty careful is all. I wouldn't mind betting that the majority feed the most convenient way. Dry and canned food.
Old April 24th, 2010, 02:21 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
I don't let mine have plastic bags either 14+. Just joking, I'm pretty careful is all. I wouldn't mind betting that the majority feed the most convenient way. Dry and canned food.
Ouch!! I wouldn't think any responsible pet owner would "let" their dogs have plastic bags. But things happen quickly.
As I said, people are entitled to educate themselves and feed what they feel is the best diet possible for their pets. Unfortunately pet food companies have made it way to convenient to feed kibble. Convenience is everything.

Old April 24th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
IMO I think in order to feed a raw diet you need to do lots of research. You need to decide what you want from the diet and what you want it to do for your dog(s). Whether or not you include bone should be another factor of your research. If you want the calcium/nutrients the bone provides you can buy a good quality meat grinder and the bone can be ground fine enough not to cause any issues. If you want the benefits that chewing a bone provides you need to ensure you are getting the right size bone for your particular dog(s). I am not saying accidents don't still happen. They do. The same as accidents can happen when doing a lot of other things.
In this article:
http://www.professorshouse.com/pets/...eat-bones.aspx
it says:
Many veterinarians state that they see more problems and health complications dealing with dog toys, chewed clothing, Christmas ornaments, and plastic bags than they do from bones. Is this because few people are giving their dogs the bones based on veterinarian advice or is this because bones are actually safer in reality than we have been led to believe?

I am not saying it's a must to feed bone. I am saying every owner needs to decide what diet best suits their particular dog(s) and their lifestyles and go from there. Just my .

Another interesting read.......
http://www.squidoo.com/rawbone?utm_c...utm_source=APJ
Excellent suggestion on grinding . It is ALWAYS much better for any animal to get it's nutrition naturally than chemically. Of course the only downfall is the lack of teeth cleaning.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey