Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old February 26th, 2009, 12:55 AM

Need new type of raw

My dog has been on Mountain Dog Food- chicken with fruits and veggies. Normally my dog will eat ANYTHING, and has not wanted to eat his food the last couple days. He is healthy and will eat other things, so I am thinking it is not health related, but rather food related. I want to try either a different protein sourced Mountain food, or else try a different kind of raw for awhile. Problem is, I have found no other raw food comparable in price to the Mountain. I live in the Lower Mainland of BC. Can anyone recommend another company to me? I am hoping this was just an off batch of food or something and that he is not wanting to stop eating the MDF chicken altogether.
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:07 AM

why not try doing your own raw? we do our own? I get most of my stuff from Cloverdale (surrey meats) and our local butcher does the rest. Its great
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:22 AM

Thank you for replying. I will never put my dog on food from Surrey Meats again. I bought 50lbs thinking it was such a great deal and a day later my dog was vomiting profusely and was totally off his food. He was very sick. The only thing that changed was his diet. I appreciate that Surrey Meats are trying to get into the raw food industry, but I have to wonder about the quality, and the quality control. However, I sometimes buy raw bones or turkey necks from them. I just will not be trying any raw food diet with them again. Also, the food is quite bloody-watery once thawed, so out of those 50lbs, just how much is actual meat?

Another good source for meats such as organ meats, turkey necks and chicken backs are Penguin Meats in White Rock. And, if you order more than $100 at a time, they will deliver it to your house.

I work 6 days per week and have 12 hour days. I would love to make my own but I just dont have the time.

I have previously tried BrambleHills raw, but $65 for 30lbs is steep when I can buy MDF 40lbs for $50.
Old February 26th, 2009, 02:30 AM

There are a number of local raw companies:

Natural Instincts
Club Canine
3P Naturals
In The Raw packaged by North Shore Natural Pet
The Healthy Hound
Amore Pet Foods
Fresh Start Raw Food for Dogs
Urban Carnivore
Red Dog Deli
Jake and Daiseys
Bare Necessitties, Abbotsford
Terra Natural Raw Dog Food, North Vancouver
Give A Dog A Bone, Abbotsford

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 26th, 2009, 04:53 AM

Thanks. I hope some are comparable to MDF when it comes to price.
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Chow Pei Rescue

I have to tell you, that when you subscribe to commercial raw foods, you are basically doing the same thing as you were with kibble.

Part of the psychology behind serving natural foods, is to, well, do it naturally.

Why do you think a commercial product can outdo what you can easily do yourself at home???

Just go to the grocery store and buy real meat!

Good food, no matter in what form is always going to be most costly than poor quality foods, so be prepared to accept that. Somewhere on this section I put up a week's worth of raw menu,. I'll try to find that link and post it here.

You've already had a bad experience with a commercial raw manufacturer, so why are you seeking yet another? Just get natural meat for your dog!

Cheers and best of luck
MM
Old September 14th, 2016, 12:14 AM

Smile

Hey all! I see this is a pretty old thread but I thought I would comment anyways. I have been feeding Surrey meat packers meats for years and have become unhappy with the quality and increased price. I have 2 Catahoulas so go through a large amount of raw monthly. I am looking into ordering in huge bulk from suppliers in order to keep cost reasonable and make my own food. So I guess what I'm saying if ur interested in this type of way to feed let me know. Otherwise i hope you have found a raw food that works for you and ur pooch.

Cheers.