Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 17th, 2016, 12:13 PM

Dogs fighting and i am unable to get them to stop

Hello, Any help advice is greatly appreciated. I have 2 male dogs and they both just turned 1 year old. The oldest by a couple of weeks is a Siberian Husky and the other is a Boxer. They have always gotten along with 2 fighting incidents about a month apart with minor cuts. Yesterday late afternoon they got into a fight (I was not home) I was told my mother and sister walked in the house from the grocery store and they started fighting. the Boxer ended up with cuts on his face and the Husky doesn't have any cuts I can see. Since then I have to keep them in separate rooms or one inside and the other outside to avoid them fighting since they return to their fight as soon as they see each other. Any help, advice? Thank you in advance.
Old October 17th, 2016, 06:28 PM
Senior Contributor

http://ottawavalleydogwhisperer.blog...-fighting.html

I found this web site it might help you , if you not able to keep your dogs from fighting you may to have a dog behaviorist help you. You have to let your dogs know you're the pack leader.
Old October 17th, 2016, 09:50 PM

Are your dogs altered or full males?
Intact males need to be altered if you want them to get along with each other or with any other dog for that matter.
At the moment I would keep them apart when you cannot supervise them as the fighting will continue to escalate as they mature and they could do serious or fatal damage to each other.
Old October 19th, 2016, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne&Co. View Post
Are your dogs altered or full males?
Intact males need to be altered if you want them to get along with each other or with any other dog for that matter.
At the moment I would keep them apart when you cannot supervise them as the fighting will continue to escalate as they mature and they could do serious or fatal damage to each other.
Whoa, this is not necessarily so. Yes, it may help to alter one or both in this case but many intact males get along just fine if they have been brought up together. At times there were four intact male GR across the road from me. Two lived there full time, two came when the adult children visited. Breed may play a role though none of these were well bred dogs.

And it absolutely is not true that a male must be altered to get along with any other dog. My intact male has lots of doggy friends. Most girl dogs in particular, spayed or not, seem to really like him.

As a matter of fact some neutered males have a pronounced antipathy to intact males and the neutered males are aggressive towards the intact males. We have experienced this many times. It always takes my boy by surprise and I have seen him literally turn the other cheek (butt cheek ) in order to avoid confrontation. He's not a sissy, he will stand up for himself, but my boy prefers to not have to stand up for himself.

However, I mention the above just because if only one of these males of the OP is neutered it may not solve the fighting, now that it's already started. Now that they are already fighting neutering both might not help either. It might be worth a try but they might have to left in separate quarters when alone.

We do now have research that shows neutering and spaying can increase aggression and make it worse, not better. It's here:

http://www.cdoca.org/downloads/files...20Behavior.pdf
Non-reproductive Effects of Spaying and Neutering on Behavior in Dogs
Deborah L. Duffy, Ph.D., and James A. Serpell, Ph.D., Center for the Interaction of
Animals and Society, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania

Sometimes that link is wonky, you might have to google the title and the authors.

P.S. You should see my neighbour lady walking all four of those big GR. If two took off one direction and two went the other she'd be something out of the gladiator ring but she always gets back home in one piece and with all four.

P.P.S. No one knows for sure why some neutered males don't like intact males but a theory I've heard is, they're jealous.
Old October 19th, 2016, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

It sound like the dogs may been fighting over who going to get the attention first . The fighting started as soon as your mother and sister walked into the house so you'll have to find a way to keep this from happen. Can you tell the dogs to sit and stay before going opening the door all the way ? I agree this sound like jealously , when I brought home my dog I have now he went up my winter jacket that was on a back on a chair and Marty smelled my last dog on it and he tried to peed on my coat to let my last dog know that he not the only male dog in the house . Marty didn't know my last dog had died but he got jealous just from smelling my coat.
Old October 24th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Rock Star

At the point when mutts do depend on battling, it's a startling thing and it's much scarier when you understand you need to intercede. The most imperative objective of separating a pooch battle is keeping up your security since you're not going to be useful in the event that you get hurt. Attempting to pull your canine away by the neckline will most likely result in your getting nibbled if the puppies are truly grinding away. They are in battle mode and may not know they have chomped you. Furthermore, it can transpire.