Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old February 5th, 2015, 01:03 AM

cat behavior problem

I am owned by 5 kitties and 1 parrot. They are the loves of my life.
there is a problem with the cats, 1 is calico and 3 are tabbys the last is grey and white. My problem is the 4 gang up on the calico. She also goes after them at times.
My question is ... are cats prejudiced against Calico's? The reason I*'m asking is I had a sweet Calico who passed last year, Ginger was with this same group of cats and they treated her the same. She 21 years old when she passed. She used to fight back but as he got older she mostly just hid.
I would also like to know if anyone has any suggestions how to change this behavior.
Thank you so much in advance for any ideas you can give me
Old February 5th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Senior Contributor

No, probably just the personalties you are dealing with. I have a Calico, she is one of the three newest cats here, out of 5, and she rules the roost, challenging the first two, one of whom was here way before her and will stand up to her. My Calico was living wild and came into the house with her kittens so felt she had to protect them as well.

The one all of mine torment is the biggest, a grey tabby. He's a big chicken, if we hadn't brought him in from outside I don't see how he would have survived. He runs and hides from all of the other four. Even when the kittens were only 7 weeks old, he hid and ran from them. He never fights back. He loves the dog though, go figure.

It's just a quirk that you've had two Calicos like that.

In my case my oldest is 17.5 and she would stand up to any cat but the Calico is only 3 and if they got into a fight there would probably be serious injury so I keep them separated.
Old February 6th, 2015, 12:00 AM
Senior Contributor

What sexes are your four cats ? I know female cats can be very bitchy to one another. Is your calico cat the newest member of your family ?
Old September 28th, 2016, 12:53 AM

Is your calico fostered? because I know the foundling could be inferior amoung the house pets.