Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 21st, 2009, 04:21 PM

sensitivity at base of tail

my dog has become extremely sensitive at the base of his tail - the above part! When it is touched he tucks his tail in and drops his hips so that he is almost sitting. But the most disturbing (?) thing is that he also reacts with a constant licking / chewing motion with his mouth. I am not sure if this is painful to him or not. There does not seem to be an anal gland problem as he is not scooting or anything like that, nor emitting any kind of smell. But this sensitivity has become extreme as he reacts as described above whether that area is being petted, or scratched - or even if the leash happens to touch him there. Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing this, or what the licking/chewing could mean?
Thank you
Old August 21st, 2009, 05:43 PM
Senior Contributor

sensitivity at

If you can get the area shaved you'll be able to see what is going on. Could be a hot spot that he's aggrivating to the point its sore.
Old October 21st, 2016, 02:05 PM

Hello, I just found this site and was researching about sensitivity to dogs around the tail area. The post that was described fit my dog perfectly.
If you touch either side of her tail, she will move to that side and drop down almost to the ground. She also has been licking the area a lot. Any ideas?
Old October 22nd, 2016, 04:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What kind of dog do you have, jospaeth? Is she wagging her tail at all?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 23rd, 2016, 08:12 AM
Senior Contributor

@jospaeth, did this just start? I'm confused when you say
Quote:
If you touch either side of her tail, she will move to that side
To me this says she moves toward the side that you touch. Or did you mean she moves away from the side you touch? I would guess she has cold tail, aka limbre tail, aka dead tail but would expect she would move away if touched. It's basically a muscle strain at the base of the tail and it must be quite painful as my stoic dog whimpered most of the night with it till I gave him an aspirin. He was swimming and diving off a bank into warm water, by the way, it doesn't necessarily have to be cold for this to happen.

Another tail problem would be further down the tail at thesurpacauda gland at the 9th caudal vertebrae and it's called Stud Tail or supercaudal gland hyperplasia. I am not aware of this hurting the dog so much as being bothersome to them. The gland gets inflammed and infected and it can STINK to high heaven.

Google up both of these to see which, if either, fits. If cold tail persists in rare cases it can cut off circulation to the tail and amputation is required. This is rare. I did not Vet my dog when he had it. If it's Stud Tail (not just in studs, happens in dogs and cats, boys and girls, neutered or not) permanent hair loss might be avoided by prompt Vet attention. Good luck.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
@jospaeth, did this just start? I'm confused when you say To me this says she moves toward the side that you touch. Or did you mean she moves away from the side you touch? I would guess she has cold tail, aka limbre tail, aka dead tail but would expect she would move away if touched. It's basically a muscle strain at the base of the tail and it must be quite painful as my stoic dog whimpered most of the night with it till I gave him an aspirin. He was swimming and diving off a bank into warm water, by the way, it doesn't necessarily have to be cold for this to happen.

Another tail problem would be further down the tail at thesurpacauda gland at the 9th caudal vertebrae and it's called Stud Tail or supercaudal gland hyperplasia. I am not aware of this hurting the dog so much as being bothersome to them. The gland gets inflammed and infected and it can STINK to high heaven.

Google up both of these to see which, if either, fits. If cold tail persists in rare cases it can cut off circulation to the tail and amputation is required. This is rare. I did not Vet my dog when he had it. If it's Stud Tail (not just in studs, happens in dogs and cats, boys and girls, neutered or not) permanent hair loss might be avoided by prompt Vet attention. Good luck.
That happen with my dog Marty , he was attacking his butt like mad and I kept checking it for ticks and found none . I took him the vet and they couldn't find anything wrong with his skin , it was his anus gland and was driving him nuts.