Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 18th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
She's fighting the force feedings. I guess that's good in a way. Means she's getting stronger.
That's what happened with Puddles as she was getting better she was clenching her teeth tighter But it needed to be done, because combining illness with dehydration really affects a cat's appetite.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 18th, 2010, 12:51 PM
-

So sorry to hear about the infection that is going through the catuary .....that's something you sure don't need right now.

Now that Benni is finished one of the meds hopefully her appetite will get better.
Old September 18th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Senior Contributor

14+,I hope the catuary-kitties get over the diarrhea,just having one cat with that problem is terrible..I cannot imagine that many.
Something you really did not need right now
Cats and meds,I wish someone would come up with something that did not bother the cats,they take meds to get better,but then they get sicker from not eating
I hope Benni will have a complete turn-around once the meds are done
I also hope sweet little Dart and the other indoor kitties will not get sick
Old September 18th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Cats and meds,I wish someone would come up with something that did not bother the cats,they take meds to get better,but then they get sicker from not eating
I agree .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:13 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I also hope sweet little Dart and the other indoor kitties will not get sick
Too late. They got it about the first of the week. Naddy and gang would have been ok because I had been working at keeping them apart but Chrissie snuck out the other day. So now they have it too. Oh well.
I am giving them all probiotics and a homeopathic cocktail for bacterial infections. It seemed to help the catty cats.
No eating yet with Benni. I guess it's another feeding tonight. Hubby says she's foxing because she's enjoying being inside.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:32 PM
-

Sorry to hear that you're having to deal with all of this 14k

That Chrissie
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:36 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Sorry to hear that you're having to deal with all of this 14k

That Chrissie
It's ok. We'll get through it. With this many I have to expect it.
You are right. That Chrissie. She's the tiniest of the bunch and she sneaks out pretty fast!! I have been sterilizing everything but obviously not well enough. Good thing I have tons of syringes!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

How is her colour?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 18th, 2010, 05:45 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
How is her colour?
I think the jaundice is not as bad now but her meds are almost gone. I think she may have to be on them longer. Once I get her back in to the vets this week hopefully we will know more. When I bring food out she smacks her lips together and then starts foaming. That's why I wonder if she has a bad tooth or something else that is stopping her from eating.

Old September 18th, 2010, 05:46 PM
-

Quote:
It's ok. We'll get through it. With this many I have to expect it.

I know you will get through it, but it is very draining m/f. You are only "1" person.

You are right. That Chrissie. She's the tiniest of the bunch and she sneaks out pretty fast!

I have been sterilizing everything but obviously not well enough. Good thing I have tons of syringes!!
It's pretty well impossible in a house 14k, too much stuff around, carpets etc it's a tough battle.
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

14+ Tabitha used to do that when I had her on some meds last year.l It was crazy too because it was instant foam!! Good point about the tooth though! it wouldnt surprize me and thus making her not want to eat??

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
I think the jaundice is not as bad now but her meds are almost gone. I think she may have to be on them longer. Once I get her back in to the vets this week hopefully we will know more. When I bring food out she smacks her lips together and then starts foaming. That's why I wonder if she has a bad tooth or something else that is stopping her from eating.
That may be OK, the liver will heal on it's own, it took about 6 months for Puddles after she got into the paint thinner. The important thing is to stop whatever was causing it to fail.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 18th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sometimes she may associate the food will feeling nauseated and will start to foam at the smell of food.

Is your vet sure she didn't get into something toxic?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 18th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Or could it be she is anticipating those meds?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 18th, 2010, 06:43 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
It's pretty well impossible in a house 14k, too much stuff around, carpets etc it's a tough battle.
Thanks mf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
14+ Tabitha used to do that when I had her on some meds last year.l It was crazy too because it was instant foam!! Good point about the tooth though! it wouldnt surprize me and thus making her not want to eat??

I am going to get the vet to look at her mouth this week if I can get her back in. And you are right. It is instant foam.

Old September 18th, 2010, 06:46 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Sometimes she may associate the food will feeling nauseated and will start to foam at the smell of food.

Is your vet sure she didn't get into something toxic?
That would have been darn near impossible L4. Benni was one of the kitties in a smaller enclosure. Nothing there to get into. I would think that if it was one of the ones with the full run of the catuary.

Quote:
Or could it be she is anticipating those meds?
I don't know. She was doing the foaming before she started the meds. It was like everything tasted bad to her. And it might well could have.

Old September 18th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I thought it was just when you were coming with meds or food.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 18th, 2010, 06:54 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
I thought it was just when you were coming with meds or food.
Nope. She was doing it before I got her in. Basically while I was waiting for my appt to get her in she started it. That's what makes me think maybe there is a chance she has a bad tooth.
It's time to go feed her. Hope I can get more down her tonight.

Old September 18th, 2010, 09:28 PM
150% PRO S/N

Evening meal consisted of about the same amount as this morning. But I made it a little thicker and used a better quality food. I'm hoping that might put some weight on her. Now she is zonked. I keep leaving food in her crate with her hoping in the morning I will see less of it.

Old September 18th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Evening meal consisted of about the same amount as this morning. But I made it a little thicker and used a better quality food. I'm hoping that might put some weight on her. Now she is zonked. I keep leaving food in her crate with her hoping in the morning I will see less of it.
I know it is so disheartening when you check on a sick kitty and it hasn't eaten .

Come on Benni please eat something to keep up your strength.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 18th, 2010, 10:19 PM

oh dear... still saying prayers for the poor girl... hope you find some answers when you take her in, and I hope her appetite comes back. Any possibility of doing a partial blood test just kidney liver and such? Its cheaper, may give you bit more of an idea of any problem area... someone also mentioned valium as an appetite stimulant. Now of course it depends on what is exactly going on with Benni, liver, kidney, tooth infection etc. but it does work amazingly given on a short term basis. Had a kitty with a bad infection stopped eating all together gave her antibiotics, only clavamox though still didnt eat, then gave her some valium for a few days and it worked wonders. that things get better here, and that the other fur kids are feeling better in the house too..
Old September 19th, 2010, 12:25 AM
~Cat Servent~

sooo I'll come monday with a fresh set of scrubs and some disinfectant to help with poop duty! man...there must be something in the air... four of my guys have the poops, and palomine is turning his nose up at everything (i have a feeling because of how he's barfing he's working on a stubborn hairball) I went and got some new cat grass for them and have cut out the treats for the time being till i figure out whats going on....i'm not super concerned about the diarreah here, that happens now and then due to food changes (we had tuna today to try and get palomine to eat) but if I don't see a furball soon i'm taking him in (i check him often for signs of dehydration- the skin test dr b taught me and his gums)

I'm starting to wonder though if there's a bad batch of something floating around though....

i hope that benni eats some on her own tonight and that the catty cats just have a 24 hour flu or something....i can't even imagine that many cats all with diarreah!!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old September 19th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Senior Contributor

that she eats something for you tonight 14+. You are such a strong person to do this so many times. hoping she gets better soon. and many to you. wish i was closer and i could help.

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old September 19th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Any updates, I hope her jaundice is better

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 19th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Senior Contributor

14+,I think you might be on the right track about a tooth,it would be an easy enough problem to fix,but expensiveas I am sure you know...
I wish I could help you,I cannot begin to imagine having so many kitties sick..if you need help,I am only 30min away,ok
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:59 AM
-

I'm wondering if satin balls would be ok for cats too , if it would help ? I know they "work" great on dogs.

hang in there 14+
Old September 19th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

I'm so sorry you're still having a rough time with Benni
I hope she gets better soon. You definitely deserve a break

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 19th, 2010, 11:42 AM
150% PRO S/N

Well, no change with my stubborn girl. I hope to get in to the vet late afternoon tomorrow or Tues. I will phone first thing in the morning. The mouth will be the first thing I ask them to check. She "ate" about 30 ml of watered down food this morning before starting to fight the syringe. At least I know she's getting some nutrients. There is a possibility she is eating a very small amount of kibble. I leave some in a bowl in her crate. But it's really hard to tell unless I count them one by one.
Satin balls for kitties - mmmm, maybe would work Frenchy. Can you give me a quick recipe for them? Thank you! I think the diarrhea is almost at the end with the catty cats. It's been just about a month since the first sign of it. Now it's getting the kittens in the house over it. Dart is feeling better this morning. More playful. For that I am very grateful. But he is still sleeping a lot so I know he is not back to 100%.
Thank you everyone for your continued support. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have you gals to complain to. Hubby is getting a little tired of listening to my litany of who has diarrhea and who isn't eating now. to you all!!

Old September 19th, 2010, 12:19 PM
-

I just posted this in another thread , you might want to change the amounts though , cats would only need tiny satin balls and also , ask sugarcatmom if those would be ok for cats , just to make sure.

here's how I make mine :

2 lbs raw ground beef
4-5 raw eggs (with or without the shells , shells are full of proteins , when I do put them in , I crush them first)
500 ml cottage cheese
canned pumpkin , the whole can (not the pie filler)
overly cooked rice (about 2 cups)
bread crumbs (to make it all "stick")

Everything is raw , other than the rice. You make them tennis ball size. Since this recipe makes a lot of balls () I wrapped them individually , in saran wrap and keep them in the freezer. You can give 1-2 a day , put them in the fridge the day before so they will be unfrozen when meal time.

for skinny dogs that need to put weight on , the satin balls are fed as supplements. You feed the usual meals , and personally , I would feed the satin ball around 8 pm , once they digested their kibble.

oh and you can also mix melasse (sp) to them.
Old September 19th, 2010, 01:36 PM
-

Sorry to hear there hasn't been any change with Benni but at least 30ml is better than nothing.

The end of the diarrhea in the catuary is good news though. And, of course, very glad to hear that Dart is feeling better.

Good luck at the vet tomorrow.