Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old December 30th, 2004, 08:22 PM

Dog attack in BC details on the news

I was just watching the news (CTV VANCOUVER) with the story about that little 3 year old that was mauled to death by the family dogs.............. as more and more details are released it is clear that there is MUCH MORE to the story than originally reported.
The woman went to court today to try to regain custody of her three other children, but they didn`t say whether they were awarded to her again. Family members in court said they still don`t know how the attack happened or where the children were when it all happened but they added that the mother has drug dependancies and has a criminal record due to the drug use.

I will have to wait for the complete story for the later news but this is almost what I expected.............. and it will be interesting to find out all the details ( if they are ever released).
Child welfare was interviewed and they say that when there is a report of vicious dogs in the home the children are removed to protect them.

This could be very interesting to find out all the details..............
Old December 30th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I get so very angry when I see that a drug addict has used a large breed dog to protect their "stuff". Putting the drugs before the safety of the children. Maybe Mr. Bryant should spend more time trying to get drugs and illegal weapons off the street and make laws tougher so that people like this can't own dogs. So now the dogs have been put down because she was too stoned to protect her children. From dogs she brought into her house. Sorry, I don't feel sorry for this woman at all. She needs to rott in jail.
Old January 11th, 2005, 05:12 PM

Exclamation How can this happen?

I'll just never understand some people. My oldest dog, Buddy came from the Winnipeg Humane Society, he's part choc. lab and he's crossed with something else really big. When we started looking for a dog, we were looking for something small, but when we saw Buddy we fell in love. :love: He was an older dog, so the people there let us see how he was with the kids, we would never have brought him home if I thought that he posed the slightest risk to my kids. How can people be so careless. Buddy has turned out to be the best dog that our family could've ever asked for. We consider our selves lucky every day that we found him, but I never leave my kids alone with him, cause it only takes one moment. A child doesn't understand that even a small thing can hurt a big dog, that's the parents job to educate there child if they want to own a large dog. I feel sorry for the dogs that will now be put down, what a waste.
Old January 11th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree!! When I labsit my brother's chocolate lab, I am always careful when we meet children on the road. Now he is a wonderful dog, a big sookie himself but you know how energetic and exhunerant labs are. All it takes is one wrong move.

The case that motivated the Liberal grand stander in New Brunswick (Lamrock) to look into anti dangerous dogs legislaton was similar. The father - who had custody of the little boy becuase his wife was in rehab (at least doing something about her addiction) let him be alone with 3 or 4 large dogs - think they were pitbulls but I cannot honestly recall. He was visiting the friend who had the dogs. The child was mauled to death and anyone who worked with the child in the ER had to be counselled for weeks - it was a grieseom, horrible death for a 3 year old! For anyone! But imho, the father bears some responsiblity because he neglected utilize caution in having his toddler around large dogs, be they pitbulls or labs.
Old January 11th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Senior Contributor

They weren't pits but that's not the point is it?

They were Rottweiler dogs (four of them although possibly not all involved).

New Brunswick boy killed by Rottweiler dogs
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew..._name=&no_ads=
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:52 PM

I know someone who lives on the same street and they aren't a Normal Rockwell family if you know what I mean.....
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA
I know someone who lives on the same street and they aren't a Normal Rockwell family if you know what I mean.....
Unfortunatly this isn't what will come out, but the fact that it was again a "vicious breed" that killed the poor child.
Old January 19th, 2005, 11:34 AM

It did

Oh it did come out on the local news which actually seemed to take the attention off the dogs for a change!!! The mom's criminal record and bad behaviour was all over.... Not that it's good but it's good for the dogs.
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA
Oh it did come out on the local news which actually seemed to take the attention off the dogs for a change!!! The mom's criminal record and bad behaviour was all over.... Not that it's good but it's good for the dogs.
Maybe by this coming out, people will start to realize that a lot of pit bulls(and rottweilers) involved in attacks are owned by - how shall we say- some pretty shady characters to say the least.

And this coming out didn't help the dogs at all - they have been put to sleep.
Old January 19th, 2005, 01:52 PM

My question is when will Ontario Ban pitt-bulls,last i heard it went through the 2nd

Since im a victim from a pitt-bull attack & recieved 29 stitches to my nose & face & lips ,(and live day to day with pain because all my facial nerves have been severed)i have no trust in those dogs at all, i was the 3rd victim from the same dog ,it attacked a teenager & gave her 19 stitches to the face,then a paperboy (11 stitches to the leg) this all happened while it was under quarantine twice but given back to the owner while awaiting trial on the first bite, thats when it attacked me without provacation, i did not know the dog at all,(it was a neighbors pitt-bull) now a year later i just found out that i,ve been prognosed having (ptsd) from the attack because of how vicious the way that it happened, (i also believe that if you are going to own a pitt-bull then you should be (100% responsible when your dog attacks a citizen fines dont do enough of a deterent to stop dog abusers & neglegent owners, i think put them in jail for a while & give the dog rebilitation & a proper owner
Old January 19th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA
Well, then I will gladly swallow my pride and apologize for that. It may not be good for those dogs, but it is good for dogs in general. Anytime we can show some sort of possible reason to the public why these attacks happen, it helps. The more the whole story gets out in these situations, the more that people start to realize the problem just might not be the dogs themselves.
Old January 19th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Bob while I am very sorry for what happened to you and can understand your anger, a pit bull ban is not the answer to the problem.

The only answer to the dog bite problem is education and enforcement of the laws on the books. Every community I know of has laws about registering dogs and not allowing them outside without a leash. Most of the pit bull bites that are reported in the paper are by dogs that are not registered with the community that they live in and are running loose.

Pit Bulls, as known to the public, are a generic type of dog. A boxer/lab cross can look much like a "pit bull". In a Denver, Colorado court of law, the individuals that were responsible for identifying and enforcing the city's pit bull ban could NOT accurately identify a "pit bull". If you do a little research online you will find that dog owners across the province have been threatened and attacked while walking their dogs. Not just pit bull owners - lab owners, boxer owners and others.

ANY dog of ANY breed is capable of biting and causing major damage. Even toy breeds have been responsible for fatal attacks.
Old January 19th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob33
Since im a victim from a pitt-bull attack & recieved 29 stitches to my nose & face & lips ,(and live day to day with pain because all my facial nerves have been severed)i have no trust in those dogs at all, i was the 3rd victim from the same dog ,it attacked a teenager & gave her 19 stitches to the face,then a paperboy (11 stitches to the leg) this all happened while it was under quarantine twice but given back to the owner while awaiting trial on the first bite, thats when it attacked me without provacation, i did not know the dog at all,(it was a neighbors pitt-bull) now a year later i just found out that i,ve been prognosed having (ptsd) from the attack because of how vicious the way that it happened, (i also believe that if you are going to own a pitt-bull then you should be (100% responsible when your dog attacks a citizen fines dont do enough of a deterent to stop dog abusers & neglegent owners, i think put them in jail for a while & give the dog rebilitation & a proper owner
I understand where you are coming from. My sister lost her most of her upper lip from a german sheppard attack, and to this day, is nervous of any dog, but VERY nervous of german sheppards. That being said, the breed itself is not the problem, and this is where those on the side of the dog are aruging from. It has been stated time and time again by expert after expert that the breed is, in general, friendly towards humans. And if you are going to own any dog, pitbull or otherwise, you should be 100% responsible if they attack. I don't blame you for being leary of the breed that bit you, but the fact is, this isn't an issue with the pitbull, it's an issue with that particular dog that attacked you.
Old January 19th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry for what happened to you Bob. i just hope you can find it in you to not paint all pits with the same brush. Obviously if they had proper vicous dog laws when this happened that dog wouldnt have been waiting to attack you. Its truly unfortunante and I cant even start to begin to understand what you went through. That being said I cant compare your attack to any others nor can you whether it be a different breed or not. All dogs can attack. All can cause substantial damage. Even the lovely wiener dog has killed humans. I also understand why you would be wary of pit bulls. Their strong, tough and determined and can look scary whether there friendly or not... So please forgive the breed and realize that that was definately a owner problem. Knowing that it has the potential to bite and has bitten you would think the owner would have taken neccasary percautions.
Old January 19th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Code:
i was the 3rd victim from the same dog ,it attacked a teenager & gave her 19 stitches to the face,then a paperboy (11 stitches to the leg) this all happened while it was under quarantine twice but given back to the owner while awaiting trial on the first bite, thats when it attacked me without provacation, i did not know the dog at all,(it was a neighbors pitt-bull)
Bob I am so sorry that this happened to you and it never should have. This dog should never have been allowed to have the chance to bite again it had proven that it was a threat. If the laws were beefed up against irresponsible owners a long time ago this and many other attacks would have never happened.

Code:
i also believe that if you are going to own a pitt-bull then you should be (100% responsible when your dog attacks a citizen fines dont do enough of a deterent to stop dog abusers & neglegent owners, i think put them in jail for a while & give the dog rebilitation & a proper owner
You seem to be a very fair person and realize the problem is the owners and I hope you went after the owner. I agree I am 100% responsible for my dog if he bit someone that is my fault even if it is technically not my fault I am the person responsible for his behaviour. You are right a dog that bites a 3rd time the owner needs to be criminally charged that is just total ignorance of the owner. I would not want to own a dog that would without provacation bite someone. We are not talking about a dog protecting his home or owner from a very real threat we are talking about a loose cannon that unfortunately was created by a totally irresponsible owner
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog