Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Closed Thread

Old March 18th, 2008, 12:23 PM
banned user

Kelly, I hope the mayor can help with this problem..you do not deserve this run around..yes there was an error made by your son...but know one deserves to feel this pain..if it can be avoided.
Sounds like there were other mistakes made that you had no control over.
I still feel a phone call to whoever has Brew should have corrected the problem and Brew returned if they truly love Brew.
AKC does not require tatoo or microchips..CKC does..We have purchased 2 AKC Norwegian Elkhounds from the US and neither was done but transferring them to CKC does require microchipping now and they even sell the chips for this.
I have also heard from some the pounds I have visited looking for Sable that the chips sometimes do move especially if a dog looses a lot of weight it can shift but I really don't think that yours is done as it is not a requirement.
Also the tattoos that are done by rescues or privately are not registered with CKC so even if he had a tattoo that was not registered with CKC there would be no way of tracking from that...Sable as well has a tattoo as well as a chip and I was informed the tattoo # done by the shelter would not be traceable, only would be a means of identifying that he was my dog.
Kelly, I wish you the best in your efforts to find Brew as do all of us who so painfully searched for our missng pets.
Old March 18th, 2008, 12:47 PM

You are correct....I've been the first person to readily admit that the error was here in my town....the circumstances surrounding the adoption are at question and whether or not under those circumstances should the adoption remain legal...there needs to be an avenue that when owners are separated
from there pet that they have the opportunity to be reunited...If it were a child that had been adopted without due process the adoption would be nullified....why is this different....

I could happen to anyone in here....a nasty neighbour doesn't like you and decides to steal your dog and deliver him to a pound as a stray somewhere you would never think to look...If you happened across info in your search leading you to that pound would you fight to have him returned?

Mine wasen't stolen but his pick up was masked in so much retoric that I was led astray and only found him by talking to a cashier....so now I fight

I hope this helps you better understand me....thank you for participating!
Old March 18th, 2008, 12:56 PM

I don't know the law governing animal adoption...but I also don't have a warm fuzzy about the pound person representing me to the new owners either...I got the feeling he really didn't want me to get Brew to save the pound's reputation...He wasen't interested in Brew's best interest...how i see it anyway...plus they lied to us and that's not cool...telling me he was found half dead in a snow bank and he was sent to the animal rescue league...all false...all these things add up
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:02 PM

The kind of pain that this has created helps me to understand why this website exsists. You couldn't possibly know the pain involved until you feel it...and most here have so the support i've received here has been irreplacable...

It's also been a tool...i've directed newspapers, radio news pers and animal involvment groups here to read this article in hopes that I may get additional support and information...sometimes you have to ruffle a few feathers to get what you want but that's ok...i'm a big girl i can take it without losing my cool...

I'd rather say i'm sorry as apposed to I give up.
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:09 PM

One more tidbit....I just spoke to AC in Brandon and he says he spoke to the owners again and they're still unwilling to bring Brew home...I left word for him to pass to them one final message and that was to visit this article...hopefully they due because it's all i have left as far as letting them decide for themselves...they've obviously never had this happen to them
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Kelly DONT GIVE UP!! We are here for you! If there is anything we can do please just ask! I would be willing to bet money on the fact that the new owners have not been told! If they were told they probably were not told the whole story!!! I am not in your shoes but if all else fails contact your lawyer! maybe the threat of a lawsuit to fight for your boy will change their minds....I am sure thats not what you want but BREW is your boy! I really hope you can bring him home!!

For all of those lurking here to read this! PLEASE HAVE SOME COMPASSION AND LET BREW COME HOME TO HIS PACK!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Here is a copy of Brandon's AC bylaws. Didnt' have time to go through all of them:
http://www.police.brandon.ca/main.nsf/eb1d07a18522999486256eac006ad0b9/38316a2eafd3e61e8625713900556c20/$FILE/5900C.LAW.pdf

Check out pg 14

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:56 PM

To the people with Brew:

Please understand I never wanted to lose my pup. He's been loved and cared for by us for 6 years and there are many even outside of my family who love him and have a vested interest in him. My son is beside himself and cries almost nightly while sleeping with his tags and collar he feels he forgot to ensure Brew was wearing. He's only 11 give him another opportunity to learn how to be responsible with a pet because he's already learned how to love one, dearly.

I never stopped looking for or loving him. Know that if the roles were reversed I would sadly return him to you, I know it wouldn't be easy but I couldn't live with myself knowing the pain I'm causing.

If you point your finger at him and say "bang you're dead" he layed down dead, he climbs trees and if you put a thick rope from a branch he'll hang on is...he dives into the water from docks and loves to play with branches, balls anything....he loves hide and seek, hold his collar and ask someone to hide then tell him "find him Brew" he will....it's my son's favorite game....if you take him fishing and you get a fish on the line he'll try and land it for you...

He's so full of joy you can't help but smile....He's Serendipidy's Brew and at 8 wks I introduced him to our family and I hoped to be the last one he saw before he rests....give me that chance, please.

Sincerely
Kelly-Ann

Last edited by Kelly27; March 25th, 2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: remove address
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:57 PM

Thank you love4himies
Old March 18th, 2008, 02:54 PM
banned user

Kelly...your thoughts are of a truly loved dog and I hope whoever has Brew has a chance to read and reconsiders where Brew really belongs.

I did get a reply from the Brandon SPCA where I wrote yesterday but just telling me that they had nothing to do with the placement. I wrote back asking for any help they might be able to give.

Hang in there Kelly, we are here for you and will help if we can.
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Kelly my heart is breaking for you! Hang in there! That was very clear how much your dog is loved! I wish I were closer and could help but please let us know we are here for you! Your poor son! Give him big hugs and let him know how many people are praying for Brew!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 18th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Kelly,I hope the new owners of Brew reads this,they did a good thing adopting him and I am sure beeing a wonderful dog,they love him already.
However,I also hope they love him enough to realize he belongs with his family and it was all a huge mistake,a little boy is crying for his dog.:sad:
I believe this sad story has affected us all here at our Forum,I can onlyBrew will be brought back to the people he knows and loves.
Old March 18th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Kelly,once again I wrote the wrong people,this is what was replied to me:

Woah - we have some major confusion here... We do not run the pound! The
animal impound is owned and operated by the City of Brandon. The pound
facilities are managed by Shane, a fellow who operates the Brandon
Boarding Kennel. He doesn't make the rules there, he just enforces them.
If someone has an issue with the operations of the impound facilities,
they need to take that to the City of Brandon.

Now, I personally go to the pound once a week and take pictures of the
dogs there, and we post them up on our website, with the contact
information for the city pound. Owners can check there for their animals
and we do note on that page that it is not necessarily up-to-date because
I sometimes can't get out there more than once a week.

I can not say I recall an Australian Shepherd coming through the pound
recently. I can tell you that some animals get adopted directly from the
pound and others are placed through our rescue. Any animals currently in
our rescue are on our website on the adoptable dogs page... We have an
Australian Shepherd named Mick but he came to us from previous owners in
Winnipeg, and another fellow Tristen who is in poor heath came to us when
his owner passed away.

Many of the animals who have been through the pound have been there
several weeks before they have been adopted or taken into rescue. I am
sure if these people were looking for their animal, they would have
checked long before then...

Just to clarify - I am an individual involved with a nationally registered
charity and we are NOT the city pound - we simply post animals AT the
pound on our website to help reconnect them with their owners.

- Dana
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:00 PM
banned user

hmmm Chico..this person knows too much about this facility..but she has the wrong breed of Dog..she is trying to match up an Australian shepherd...not a Border Collie...big differnence..I wonder if Dana is worth another try to see if she remembers a Collie???
Old March 18th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Kitty pimp

was this dog microchhipped ? arent all registered dogs ?
Old March 18th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Owned by goldens

Bring Brew Home

I'm almost positive that a breeder is not required to tattoo or microhip their pups in order to register them. I would think that a good breeder would but it is not mandatory.
Microchip's do move, by the way and often. Another problem with chips is that the readers are not universal. If the shelter or vet doesn't have a reader that is compatible with the chip in the dog it will not read it.
To the newbies who came here to plead their case, please be civil. From what I have read everyone who has contributed to this thread has been polite and supportive and I see the mood changing after your negative comments.
As for typing in caps, it is considered rude and screaming in the world wide web.
Accidents happen especially when kids are involved. I know I work with them.
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle View Post
I'm almost positive that a breeder is not required to tattoo or microhip their pups in order to register them. I would think that a good breeder would but it is not mandatory.
Actually with the CKC it is.

Quote:
All dogs must be uniquely and permanently identified with an approved Canadian Standard microchip transponder or a tattoo, prior to leaving the breeder's premises.
This from the CKC site.And this is how I have always known it to be.This going as far back as 24 years ago when I got my first GSD.

Wow,I guess the AKC is really different then the CKC,in more ways then one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1011
Also the tattoos that are done by rescues or privately are not registered with CKC so even if he had a tattoo that was not registered with CKC there would be no way of tracking from that...
Very true.I just don't understand why the AKC wouldn't make it mandatory...This is really the only true way you can prove the dog is yours.

kelly,since the new adopters are NOT willing to give Brew back,then I strongly suggest you talk to your lawyer and take legal action.Enough is enough from these people.Time to get tough.Seriously.Brew needs to be back home with you.And trust me,if I was in this situation,I would definately be taken action.
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:26 AM
banned user

I also think AKC should make microchips mandatory. We just bought a male Norwegian Elkhound and had to microchip him to be registered now with CKC.

Kelly, do you think it will help if we write to the newspapers in Brandon, asking for their help in this sad story of finding Brew?
I do feel for the new owners of Brew but they can't know all the facts or
they would return him to where he is loved by his real family.
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
kelly,since the new adopters are NOT willing to give Brew back,then I strongly suggest you talk to your lawyer and take legal action.Enough is enough from these people.Time to get tough.Seriously.Brew needs to be back home with you.And trust me,if I was in this situation,I would definately be taken action.
I don't understand who she would sue?? The pound did what it was legally allowed to do. The new owners legally adopted this animal. Is this fair to the new owners who have followed the law and possibly rescued this dog from euthanesia??? How was the pound going to be able to locate Brew's owners??? Should they keep a dog indefinitely thinking the dog's owners may show up some day or maybe not?
The town she lives in because AC did not submit his ticket on a timely basis? That still won't bring Brew back.

The fact of the matter is, the dog was let outside to roam with out any ID. The dog was picked up by AC, taken to the pound and adopted out.

I feel very badly for you, kelly, I really do and especially for your son who must be going through hell.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Shirley,OMG my mistake,I said Australian SheperdI'll correct my mistake..
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1011 View Post
I also think AKC should make microchips mandatory.
Why? Why on earth would you wish for such a thing? What's wrong with the tattoo ID??

What is so special about a microchip - introducing foreign material into the body that emits an electromagnetic field (EMF)? All living creatures have internal EMF. In humans, it emits from the heart and brain. Introducing yet ANOTHER form of EMF into the body may not be the wisest thing to do. We're already bombarded with enough.

Just think about it for a moment... would you wish to receive the implant? What about all your loved ones and family?

What if it was required for every human to receive the chip. Is that really a good idea?

If you don't want a human to get the chip, then why would it be OK to do it to animals?

The public knows so little about the chips or the long term effects. We're told it's safe... but is it really? And if it is safe, then why are several states in the USA trying to stop legislation for forced microchipping of humans but yet it's OK to do it in animals?

Poor animals... :sad:

I stand against microchipping of ANY living creature.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I don't understand who she would sue?? The pound did what it was legally allowed to do. The new owners legally adopted this animal. Is this fair to the new owners who have followed the law and possibly rescued this dog from euthanesia??? How was the pound going to be able to locate Brew's owners??? Should they keep a dog indefinitely thinking the dog's owners may show up some day or maybe not?
The town she lives in because AC did not submit his ticket on a timely basis? That still won't bring Brew back.

The fact of the matter is, the dog was let outside to roam with out any ID. The dog was picked up by AC, taken to the pound and adopted out.
You are actually making this sound like no one should ever get their lost dog backHow many people have come on here to say they have lost their dogs.We tell them the steps to take.Would have it mattered any if Brew did have his collar and tags but somehow the coller came off?Think about it.What if you were in this situation?Would you just give up or would you fight to get your dog back?

As for her getting a hold of her lawyer,she doesn't have to "sue" persay.The pound knows that kelly has been looking for Brew,the pound knows who the new adopters are.The new adopters will not give up Brew knowing the original owners want their dog back.Brew has been in kellys family for 6 years.There are kids involved also.People don't like to hear it when you mention lawyer.And I have talked to my nieces hubby who is a criminal lawyer about this situation.He has actually told me that there have been some cases like this,and yes,the original owner does get their dog back.
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Senior Contributor

This is not a finders/keepers situation,Brew is not a thing,but a dog with feelings of sorrow and happiness,mistakes were made,mistakes that can be undone.
I am not saying the pound did wrong,but now it's time to make things right for Brew.
Brew is family,you do not give up on family,he belongs in the home he grew up.
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
You are actually making this sound like no one should ever get their lost dog backHow many people have come on here to say they have lost their dogs.We tell them the steps to take.Would have it mattered any if Brew did have his collar and tags but somehow the coller came off?Think about it.What if you were in this situation?Would you just give up or would you fight to get your dog back?

As for her getting a hold of her lawyer,she doesn't have to "sue" persay.The pound knows that kelly has been looking for Brew,the pound knows who the new adopters are.The new adopters will not give up Brew knowing the original owners want their dog back.Brew has been in kellys family for 6 years.There are kids involved also.People don't like to hear it when you mention lawyer.And I have talked to my nieces hubby who is a criminal lawyer about this situation.He has actually told me that there have been some cases like this,and yes,the original owner does get their dog back.
That is not what I am saying, I prey everyday that Sable, Billie, and Spencer come home. I don't believe people should just keep animals they have found, I believe they should be reported as found to the local shelter and vets. My heart goes out to all those families who have lost their loved ones and have cried at my computer, frustrated everytime Shirley posted that she wasn't able to find Sable. My heart goes out especially to her son who must be feeling horrible guilt. I really hope that they get Brew back too, but the fact is that she lost her right to Brew by allowing him out free. In our society we have AC, shelters and rescues that have to be able to operate within legal boundries and those, out of kindness of their hearts, adopt from these shelters without fear that one day the original owners will come and sue them for what they obtained legally. That is not fair to the new owners or to shelters. It is a very sad situation, but there are rules to follow in our society.

As for the collar coming off, that is why there is microchipping, which I think should be as routine as vaccinations.
This is very heartbreaking, just as the post about Krinkles, the cat, but it is a risk animal owners take when they allow their pets roam free.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ht=Mississauga

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 19th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
In our society we have AC, shelters and rescues that have to be able to operate within legal boundries and those, out of kindness of their hearts, adopt from these shelters without fear that one day the original owners will come and sue them for what they obtained legally. That is not fair to the new owners or to shelters. It is a very sad situation, but there are rules to follow in our society.
Yes there are rules and laws.But these shelters should have some ideas that there are owners out there searching for their lost pets.And I'm sorry for the new adopters,but they too should have it in the back of their mind that since this dog came in as a stray,the owners may be looking for them.Do I trust pounds,no not a 100%...But I won't start a war on here about that.

An original owner has every right to fight and get back their animal.Trust me,I would do the same.

Quote:
but the fact is that she lost her right to Brew by allowing him out free
She lost her right?That's a little cold.Mistakes happen.We live and learn from them.We don't punish.

As for Krinkles,I know all about that.There was a huge right up in the Toronto Star and Sun,This cat was chipped and had tags.So they knew who the owner was.They did nothing to get in touch with his owner.And if I recall it was a family member watching the cat,so they could have called.A HUGE error on their part.
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:46 AM

Why Take Brew From His New Home?

So You Are Saying That Pounds Should Keep Dogs Indefenately Until The Owners Come? What Does This Say For People Adopting From Pounds - Dont Do It Because There Is A Risk The Owners Will Come Back Down The Road And Take The Dog Away? dogs Left At Pounds Are Dead, Unless They Are Rescued By Someone. If Someone Helped Brew By Saving His Life Then He Is Lucky And You Should Be Gratful He Is Alive. Not Trying To Take Him Away From The People Who Made Him A Part Of Their Family. Why Is No One Looking At It Like That? The Pounds Keep Animals Several Days Before Letting Them Go. How Long Before You Called Them? I Also Agree With The Person Who Said Why Did You Not Put Up Posters Or Adds In The Papers?
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

[ How Long Before You Called Them? I Also Agree With The Person Who Said Why Did You Not Put Up Posters Or Adds In The Papers?[/QUOTE]

You're Caps Sound Like You Are Judging. Please be respectful of all and do not judge.

If you read the whole thread you would see that they have done evrything possible to get Brew back, please before you post your opnions read up what has already been discussed. This family is in a lot of pain and just trying to get their Dog/Family Member back. patti
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

I am saying that pounds need to be prepared for the original owners to come looking for them(pets I mean)

Would you give up your dog that easy?A dog that has been in your family for YEARS?A dog that your kids love and adore?A dog that you raised since 8 weeks?

So our Brews, Sables,Spencers and Billies get brought to a pound and get adopted,these owners are supposed to stand back and and say oh well,they have been saved by these new adopters,let them have them???.Hell no...Some people wouldn't give a rats behind,but I know these owners do.And they care and want their dogs back.They are part of their family.

Get real.These owners have a heart and feelings.Seriously some people need to be in these peoples shoes.Ten to one your thoughts would be sooo different.
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:20 AM

JUDge

Keep In Mind That Just Because Someone Writes It Doesnt Make It True. I Am Asking Cuz There Is Another Family Or Person Involved Here Too And Maybe They Have Kids Too? Who Is Thinking About That? Also Groups Who Are Being Insulted Here That Help Animals. Its All One Sided Here.
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

mrthomas....

Lets reverse the situation here! You have been in an accident and your dog gets away...you wake up in the hospital 3 weeks later..wondering where your dog is?? Someone investigates this and finds out that your dog was picked up...placed in the pound, animal shelter rescue whatever you want to call it...and subsequently is adopted...You manage to track down some info about your dog and that he is safe and new home. Would you just walk away?? Walk away from the dog you raised, your family knows, where he is loved? I am not saying that the adoptee's dont love this dog...the point being that this family didnt do anything wrong here?? they lost the dog they love and for whatever the circumstances they deserve to have their dog back...

I think if you were in this family's shoes you might feel the same way....It is tragic no matter what way you look at it isn't it! Can you honestly say that you would walk away from your pet and not put up a fight because he is loved by someone else....

It would be ideal if someone could arrange a conversation between the new owners and the old owners and I think if someone facilitated this request things would work out in the long run? I realise what your saying about the adoption places having to have some guarantee for the dogs they adopt out BUT would they really have such a problem giving a dog back once they new the truth to the story? They are certainly free to return the dog if it doesn't adapt in their home so why not in this case as well...Simply put this is a mistake and no one needs to be blamed here...just return the dog....

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Closed Thread