Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 16th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Hope Patsy is All Right - Kitten in New Home

I was just about crying yesterday. My neighbour was crying.

Some of you know we trapped a cat we'd been feeding outside all winter and brought her and her four kittens inside. Kittens will be 11 weeks tomorrow. I was so happy on Saturday, three went to really good homes and I was content.

On Sunday my neighbour called in tears, one of her own cats, my Andy's sister in fact, is extremely upset about the kitten. They haven't even met yet but her cat is referring aggression to my neighbour and her other cat so she's afraid to try anything more. It's really bad, she is outright attacking them. So Derri came back to me on Sunday.

Later that day I called the other neighbour who took Patsy to be sure she knew I now had two looking for homes instead of just the one she thought I had. She is having problems too, Patsy is afraid of her 12 week old kitten. She got Patsy because the ages were close and she wants two so they will be company for each other while she is at work. She thinks Patsy is afraid to eat much and she hasn't seen her use the litter box. She's going to keep trying for a couple of days yet. Patsy is cuddly and purring and playing with the humans but afraid of the other kitten.

I was so pleased with these homes, one is a Vet we used to go to and the other volunteers with a local cat rescue. I actually told two other neighbours they could not have a kitten because in each case the husband was not on board. And now this happens. Just venting my worry I guess, please say a little good wish for my babies.
Old June 16th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

You have such a big heart and a lot of patience - wishing you positive vibes big time
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 16th, 2014, 05:24 PM

"New" cats cannot just be brought into households where there already resident cats - there are rules of thumb on how to do this introduction slowly. Proper introductions are even more critical where it applies to new kittens.

Here is some excellent reading, step-by-step DIRECTIONS focused on kitten-to-older-cat introductions: Introducing Young Kittens to Adult Cats

The first failures you described don't matter.....it can still work, and most likely will - and, most often does....just follow the directions to the letter !
Old June 16th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Rustycat, you are right. Normally I send cats out with written instructions much like those you posted. I did with the one kitten who is a success. With these two all we did was have a conversation. I am dealing with a Vet and a person working in cat rescue and I had too much faith.

Little Derri, little lovey, dovey thing, is back with me and there will be no second chance at that house.

I have hopes for Patsy. The other kitten was vaccinated yesterday and we hope that will slow him down a little. Ironic and sad to think we hope a bit of lethargy from vacs might be a helpful thing. I haven't heard from that lady yet today, hoping that's a good sign. And, it seems Patsy is not so afraid she will not respond to the people so that's a good sign too.
Old June 16th, 2014, 09:48 PM

"A Vet and a person working in cat rescue"....omg, who would have thought people like that wouldn't know! Well, I guess it's another lesson in 'just when you think you've heard it all' ! And, I suppose even worse, is that they wouldn't be open to trying it again...properly ! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !

I really feel for you, especially in light of how you acquired them. All of that is in itself a real life demo of just how difficult rescue work is....on the rescuers.

Now, stay strong and focused. If it's any encouragement to you to know, an astronomical number of cats & dogs were recently adopted over one weekend in the US...here you are:
Maddie's Fund Exceeds Goal with 15,000 Adoptions in Two Days

So, yes, there are places for these little ones !