Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:56 AM
I'm a softy

Red face Humane Society Tag Saved my DOG!!!!

Yup It is true!!! Someone posted a link to get free tags from the humane society, I filled it out and got my tags in just over a week, thank you so much!!!! Here is the story!!!

I have an 8 year old lab who is loved so so much, more than most people love people... She is never allowed out alone, and is trained very well to stay in the house and not go out an open door.. Well we just moved to a new house in a totally different area, my kids were having friends sleep over and were at home with someone caring for them, I was out for a bit, I came home and said 'where is lady????':sad: she was NO WHERE to be found! So I start to freak out, call radio stations, call the pound, which was closed but left a message, called friends, posted on ebrandon, called the police, which here is animal control, but animal control does not operate after 5, and if there is an ermergency that cannot wait they send police, the police lady said there had been no calls, Several of us were outside whistling, calling, driving around searching until about 1 a.m. This dog is my 4 year old little boys best friend and he was crying, and so sad, I was a mess, NOTHING like this has ever ever happened before and I truly thought I would be the last person on earth to lose a dog.. Apperently someone had let her out, probably ran past a kid, AND the front gate was not shut. Our fence goes around the whole property, not just the back yard.. so I guess she wonderd out, probably to sniff trees.. I Didn't understand why she was not coming as I KNOW she would not go far, she has seperation anxiety.... too spolied.. and ALWAYS comes when called....

Anywho.. I guess a nice teenage girl walked by with her dog, and saw my dog, about 3 houses down.. She was walking her DOG, this lab remember has SEVERE dog aggression!!! I guess she saw lady, and lady growled at her dog and walked away, the girl was worried that she would get hit by a car, so she took her home, all my dog did was growl at her dog, THAT IS IT!! WOW!!

This was my biggest fear, that she would go attack another dog...

Anyway.. the girl took her home, they say they walked around our neighborhood looking for her family.. Then at home they decided to let her stay for the night and call animal control in the morning.. They tried to put her in their dogs kennel.. yeah right.. she would have none of that... Apperently she PLAYED with their dog!! When they were walking her around however she was barking and lunging at other dogs they passed...

I was a mess, and was outside, and looking out open windows almost all night, although I was sure someone had her as she would have come when called.

Sure enough at 7:30 the next morning my phone rang.... A lady called, they had my lady, I cried and cried... They litterally live across the street... but they had her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went and picked her up, they brought her outside and she got so excited she pulled the leash out of the ladies hands and ran to us, happiest moment of our lives.

Lady is microchipped, but of coarse that is only good if she actually gets to the pound. I was almost hoping that she would go to the pound, at least I would have her back and I would pay anything to get her back.

So to the person that posted that link thank you, thank you thank you thank you.. That tag is what got her back to me. I don't usually think about her wearing her tags as I thought she would be the last dog on the earth to be lost. So she does not have her rabies tag on.. and she has the microchip so I never really thought... BUT THAT TAG got her back, and I JUST got it last week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH!! and while she was there apperently she some how fell into a door frame and got a HUGE piece of wood stuck in her leg, they said it was very stuck, and I saw it it is about 8" long, and about 1/2" was stuck in her leg.. her husband pulled it out. We went to the vet and cleaned it up she is on clovamox for a week, but that was minor to me, she was back and she was safe, of all the things that could have happened.. I kinda wish these people tried to call around or something that night so we didn;t have to freak out for so long, but at least they cared for her.

So again thank you to the person that posted that link, I owe many thanks, I don't know what I would do without that dog, and that is what got her back. If my dog can be lost ANYONES dog can be lost, so make sure all your pets have tags on, even if you think your dog doesn't go anywhere, you must put tags on, and a microchip is great, but a tag can get them back sooner and save a trip to the pound. And yes, I gave them some money to thank them for getting my dog back. Even if she really didn't go anywhere, and they found her almost right in front of my house.
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
Garden nut

Yay great news!

I have those tags for all my pets too. I sighed up right away after I saw the post on here as well.

It's funny though, I tell everyone I know that it's FREE and they still don't bother taking the time to fill out the form online.

Only bad thing though is I notice they get scratched really easy especially when worn with a rabies tag. Do they make replacements?
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I've had those tags for my 3 cats for several years,I accidentally threw my first set away including new collarsbut I got 3 new tags in no time at all!
Glad you got your Lady back!!
Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:17 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so glad the girl that found Lady was so nice and took her home so she wouldn't get hit by a car!

I love happy endings!!

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:49 AM
Live well, laugh often

Good reminder . I'm glad Lady was safe .
Old August 23rd, 2009, 02:56 PM

Talking Humane Society Tag Saved my DOG!!!!

I know how important those tags are. My dogs have those tags, their license's, rabies tags, and micro chip tags. I call it their bling.
Old August 24th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I'm a softy

microchip tag? what is that? we are micrchipped and have no microchip tag...
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old August 24th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I think its just another way to say microchip.. Like, ID tags.. Microchip tag? I dunno.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old August 24th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Molly's mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
microchip tag? what is that? we are micrchipped and have no microchip tag...
When your dog was microchipped the vet should have given you a tag with their microchip # and a website or 1-800 # on it as well. That way if someone finds your dog but doesn't have a microchip scanner, they can call that # and get your info.
Really just a "backup" if you already have a city license, dog tag, and rabies tag.

PS- glad to hear your happy ending. I too ordered one after reading the post on Pets.ca and now Molly wears it all the time! Gotta order a new one though- new phone #!
Old August 24th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
When your dog was microchipped the vet should have given you a tag with their microchip # and a website or 1-800 # on it as well. That way if someone finds your dog but doesn't have a microchip scanner, they can call that # and get your info.
Really just a "backup" if you already have a city license, dog tag, and rabies tag.

PS- glad to hear your happy ending. I too ordered one after reading the post on Pets.ca and now Molly wears it all the time! Gotta order a new one though- new phone #!
oooooooooohhhhh so THATS what that tag was for that was sent in keely's vet records Stupid me ...lol.. It had a number on it and a phone number but was never put on her.. And Yes. Im glad there was a happy ending!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Doggie Wench

I'm glad Lady's back safe at home with you .