Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 5th, 2008, 07:18 PM

Raw Diet Question

I would like to be able to start my cat with digestive problems on a raw diet. Obviously, the easiest thing for me to use would be chicken. However, we recently switched her to a limited ingredient venison and green pea food due to her allergies, just to try a different protein source. Would going back to chicken in the raw diet still affect her, or because of the makeup of the food would it be ok? If I can't use chicken, what are some other easy to get a hold of meats that I could use? Thanks for the help.
Old November 5th, 2008, 07:29 PM

Raw Diet Question

Rabbit is a very easy to digest protein and it is not likely your cat would be allergic to it.

Hope this helps.
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree that rabbit is a great protein source for cats. It's not always easy to find though. Depending on where you live, farmer's markets can be good places to find different kinds of meats. Ostrich, buffalo or quail are some others to look for. If you're in the eastern US, Hare Today will deliver frozen raw rabbit to you, but shipping costs make it pricey.

What food (dry or wet?) was your cat eating when she started having digestive issues? Sometimes it isn't necessarily a specific protein that's causing the problem but the way in which it's processed or the combination of other ingredients. Highly rendered chicken in a kibble format is more likely to instigate a reaction than raw chicken, which is closer to what a natural feline diet would be. What you could do is try something like rabbit for a while (6 weeks at least) and if things are going good, introduce small amounts of raw chicken and see how she does. Discontinue it at the first sign of trouble.

One other thing about raw rabbit: not sure if you have a recipe in mind but you may have to think about supplementing with extra taurine as rabbit tends to have lower amounts than other meats.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 6th, 2008, 02:25 AM

Hard to say if she would be okay with raw chicken, some raw feeding members have found their pets where allergic to kibble chicken or cooked chicken but did great w/no problems on raw chicken.

Lamb is also a good novel protein source, though one that generally you do not feed the bones with it so you would need to add a calcium supplement.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old November 7th, 2008, 10:54 PM

How about complete formula like Nature's Variety that includes %15 ground bone in all their flavors including lamb, that could do the trick.