Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old March 8th, 2010, 08:33 PM

starting slowly on homemade food

Hi All,

I have been toying with the idea of making my dogs food instead of buying it. It's not for the economics of it (nice bonus though) but more because I like to know what they are eating and how much.

Currently our dogs are on Wellness (Complete Health Chicken for the 2 year old, and "Just for Puppy" for our 6 mo old).

In talking to our puppy kindergarden teacher she suggested mixing in some oatmeal with their Kibble. She suggested that i make 4 cups of oatmeal (using plain organic oats and water) add in one egg right after i take it off the stove (mixing it in there good and allowing the heat to cook the egg) and adding in some pureed fruits (strawberries and pineapples). She suggested adding one cup of this mixture to their daily dry kibble (which would be reduce by one cup to compensate)

i'm just curious as to what the community here thinks before i go ahead and try this.

thanks in advance
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Young at Heart

You might want to have a look at the book "Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog" - besides giving ideas for each meal, the book goes into all kinds of supplements and such. An all-round good book to have..
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:47 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevnlou View Post
She suggested adding one cup of this mixture to their daily dry kibble (which would be reduce by one cup to compensate)
One cup of this mix is not nutritionally equal to 1 cup of kibble.

And, food doesn't always need to be cooked. Your dog can easily and safely digest raw egg. Also, crushed/ powdered eggshell is a good source of calcium.

There are a ton of books out there (and as many opinions about what's right) on companion animal nutrition. Cruise through this forum and the books forum for some tips on good reading. Then take the best of what you read and create a diet that makes sense for your dog, bearing in mind that young, active, working dogs have different dietary needs than do older, sedentary dogs.
Old March 9th, 2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
One cup of this mix is not nutritionally equal to 1 cup of kibble.
Hmm, that's interesting. How do i figure out how much to reduce thier kibble by?

and is there a repository out there in digital land of home made food recipies for dogs?

Thanks,
Old March 9th, 2010, 07:03 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevnlou View Post
Hmm, that's interesting. How do i figure out how much to reduce thier kibble by?

This is where all that learning about nutrition and nutritional needs of your dog comes into play! You have to do your homework.

and is there a repository out there in digital land of home made food recipies for dogs?

There are tons of raw feeding forums. Yahoo has one I think. And this forum has a ton of good reading as well as folk who are "walkin' the talk".
Thanks,
The thing about mixing raw/home-cooked and kibble is that the different types of foods will be digested at different rates and some may end up not being properly digested at all. It would be easier on your dog to feed one or the other. Failing that, use kibble for one meal and raw/home-cooked in the next.
Old March 11th, 2010, 09:38 PM

I fed my senior samoyed homecooked for a month before she died. Prior to this Rose had lost her appetite and when I introduced homecooked she loved it and showed great interest in her meals. I am not going to recommend diets as I think it depends on the individual dog what type of food, your dog's activity level, age, weight etc.
Do your research.
I can recommend a great book The Healthy Dog Cookbook by Jonna Anne with Mary Straus. Mary Straus writes about dog nutrition in the Whole Dog Journal (great magazine) as well as her website www.dogaware.com.
For me it was rewarding to feed Rose a healthy diet, it was the least I could do for she gave so much joy and love in our household. Good luck.

Last edited by geisha; March 11th, 2010 at 10:28 PM.