Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 15th, 2008, 06:31 PM

Question Curious About Price of Kittens in Your Area

I am just curious: How much do kittens cost in the area(s) you live in? I live in Hawaii and it is rare one sees "free kitten" ads in the newspaper here. There are "free" ads on occasion; however, usually they are offering "adorable kittens for sale" at between $50.00 to $75.00 each. (Many times this includes first shots, etc. -- but many times it does not.) While some charge $$ hoping to ensure the kitten goes to a good home -- it appears that many others have repeat ads in the newspaper and are just out to make a buck!

Anyway, I'm going to go to the shelter where they charge $60.00 (which includes first shots, being spayed/neutered, follow-up care, etc.) Is that what most of you pay at shelters near you? Like I said, just curious.
Old June 15th, 2008, 07:28 PM
BassetHound Rescue Quebec

Sadly there are LOADS of free kittens here on Craigslist or Kijiji as well locl papers.. Rescues have some and certain rescues have only pure breeds.. the prices vary widely..
Old June 15th, 2008, 07:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekatzmeow View Post
I live in Hawaii

Anyway, I'm going to go to the shelter where they charge $60.00
We have a member who lives in Hawaii (Heidiho) but she hasn't posted for a long time now :sad: she could have help you as she was always rescuing cats near her place.

$60.00 is a very good price (shots and spay/neuter included) here it ranges from $90.00 to about $150.00. Cat rescues and shelters are always so full here :sad:

I'm happy to know you will be rescuing from a shelter !
Old June 15th, 2008, 10:08 PM
~Cat Servent~

The HS and most rescues in this area adopt cats and kittens out at about $140... which includes shots, spay/neuter and often microchipping as well.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old June 16th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I think the Toronto HS is $25.00 for cats and $50.00, but quite often they have "free" week-ends or weeks.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

At Gananoque HS in Ontario a spay/neutered, all shots sell for $125, very good price considering a spay is $200+ and shots with vet visit is about $100. At Kingston HS, I think it is $135 for unaltered, $190 for altered. Huge difference in price.

I am glad you are going to the shelter, that means nobody is profiting from your purchase of a kitten.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Investigative researcher

Our closest shelter is over an hour away, but there are free to good home ads for cats and dogs here all the time. Many litters of "barn cats" this time of year. In farming country, most animals are considered disposable livestock which have to work for their keep.
There is a pretty large gap between those of us who consider them to be pets, and those who think if the dog doesn't work livestock or hunt ducks in the fall it had better be a fantastic watch dog--and cats are for killing rodents, period. Was hard to take when we moved out here.

THEN there is the pet trade--where hundreds of cats and dogs are purposely bred by the farm wife to sell for extra income-grrrrrrr.

Last edited by DoubleRR; June 16th, 2008 at 08:19 AM. Reason: pet trade addition
Old June 16th, 2008, 05:21 PM
What to say, what to say

At the Toronto Humane Society, it's $25.00 for a cat but waivered if it's an adopt-a-thon. At Toronto Animal Services, it's $75.00. Big difference...
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Senior Contributor

The Humane Society a county away from me offers 2 for one adoptions. $70 including first shots and S/N. I got 4 of my cats from vets offices as kittens. Only one I actually paid an adoption fee for, and that's because I got her from my vet's office. They charged me $20, but she was too young to have been spayed so i had to take her back. Best $20 I ever spent though
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Senior Contributor

At my local shelter cats and Kittens are $85.00 plus applicable taxes. A $75.00 refundable sterilization deposit is also required for non spayed/neutered cats.

Just for anyone interested a cost comparison for free to good home kittens at my local HS http://www.kwhumane.com/html/free.asp