Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old March 5th, 2007, 04:38 PM

Wink New Kid On The Block

Hello everyone just joined the forum hope i can be of use regarding any advice on our fury or feathery friends, I am sure i will be asking you lots of questions at some point
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

Hi. welcome! do you have animals?pics?
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:58 PM

hi, and thank you for the welcome i have lots of photo's of my pets the problen is how to put them on here, help needed please
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

when you reply you will see a little paperclip at the top of the box (next to the smiley face). click on that and you get upload options. there is a size limit so you may have to resize some of your pics.
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

arroyo,Welcome!! From Spain,that's great,we are getting very international
We'll be waiting for pics and a little introduction of your furry and feathery friends
I am hoping someone can give you better instructions than I could on how to post pics.
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hi, arroyo, and welcome to the forum.

Hope you figure out the picture thing soon!
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:42 PM

my pet's

sorry you will have to wait till tomorrow to see the pictures my son Lewis will know how to put the pictures on, its the re sizing I am stuck on, I will tell you a bit about my self. My name is Julie I am married to Kevin I have 3 children. We are British now living in Spain we have a son still living in the UK. We brought our wire haired jack russell with us to Spain, our cat Milly lives with my sister, we sold our 4 horses our rotweiller lives with a good friend. Since living in Spain we have bought an African Grey parrott called Diago and a Canary named warbaling Walter he sings from dawn till dusk, I hope with all the years i have had pets i can share some knowledge with you on the forum if needed and thank you all for the warm welcome
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:27 PM
-

Welcome to the forum. Lewis to the rescue....looking forward to the pics.
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Half Way To Crazy

welcome, I hope you enjoy
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:58 AM

here is my dog kuda

Name:  DSCI0006.JPG
Views: 192
Size:  83.4 KB

this is my little man, he is so cheeky we all love him to bits he is such a character
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:34 PM
-

Awww, Kudo is so cute. He looks just full of character too.....I bet he always puts a smile on your face. Any chance of getting pics of Diago and Walter?
Old March 6th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

awwwww

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old March 6th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Arroyo,my grand-doggie is a wire-haired JRT,her name is Kita,but she does not have a dence nice fur like your Kudo,here she is..
Attached Images

Old March 6th, 2007, 05:40 PM

Welcome... Love your the picture of your little guy. My dog stosh is wire haired JRT mix .
Attached Images

Old March 6th, 2007, 05:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Kuda has a very nice smile ...a very mischievous smile, too. I can tell he's a character he he he How does he get along with the birds?
Old March 6th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Senior Contributor

What a face...can he understand english and spanish ?
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:57 PM

lookalike

my god arn't they simmilar she is lovely, how old is she?, Kuda would look just like her but with the heat here in Spain I have him clipped, so he is more comfortable. The whole family keep looking at the resembelance. and no he dosent understand SpanishI am working on it though lol
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Arroyo,I don't know if you were commenting on Kita,but she is about 7 yrs old,still as energetic as a pup,she has beautiful big dark eyes
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:08 PM

Hola Chico2, yes I was reffering to Kita, I love jack russells they are so unpredictable, does your's nip peoples anckles then look away as if you had done it, Kuda hates joggers with a vengence mind you we dont see that many in Spain unlike the UK, He used to be so naughty for nipping everytime I had visitors come around to see us he would nip their ankles as they left, so cheeky
Old March 8th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Hola Arroyo
No,Kita was never a nipper,but she certainly was a destroyer of everything chewable,much better now though.
She is very,very friendly with anybody,incredibly affectionet.
I love her,but she would not be my choice of dog,it seems she never sleeps she needs a young energetic owner,which you probably are
Old March 8th, 2007, 10:22 AM

We bought Kuda from a RSPCA shelter, apparently he used to be owned by a little old lady who found him to much for her, so she took him to the centre. I am so glad she did, he is still active he is 9 now he as never altered in all the years we have had him, he does love his bed though. He is the best dog I have ever had and that's saying something as I have had a few dogs in my lifetime, he is loyal, and so affectionate especially with me, he is a really good dog.We have never had any chewing of any kind just mischevous, and so funny, I do believe he thinks he is a human more than a dog, He gets along with all other animals used to share his bed with milly the cat at one point cuddle up to each other in winter bless em!!. Where we used to live in England there were lots of open spaces for him to run around he alway's came back carrying a rabbit, he used to bring it to me like it was his trophy the only thing was he wouldn't let go it took us ages to persuade him to drop the rabbit. It came to a point where one day he went missing we were all out looking for him we heard him scratching down a rabbit warren he was there 4 hours, i was definately late for work that day i can tell you lol, but it's all good fun he has definately made a difference to our live's there's no doubt about that. sorry for the spelling mistakes!!!
Old March 8th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Half Way To Crazy

he is very very cute
what did you do with the rabbits he caught ??
and don't worry about the spelling i'm not much better
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:07 PM

by the time we had took the rabbits from Kuda there wasn't much rabbit left lol
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Half Way To Crazy

yuk yuk yuk Attachment 23379 lol lol

Last edited by breeze; March 14th, 2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:40 PM

Awwww, Kuda, Kita and Stosh are all soooooooooooo cute! What adorable little dogs!

My JRT is just 6 months old, but I think he's going to end up being a rough/wire haired guy like all of yours, too!

Old March 8th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the forum your dog is adorable, we have had similar experiences with rabbits with our 2 dogs (even tho we have a bunny in the house that runs free I guess they consider him part of the pack) I would love to hear about your African Grey parrott Diago, we have been considering adding a bird to our family and this breed really appeals to me, any advise?
Old March 9th, 2007, 02:22 AM

Hello Tommysmom, your little wjr is adorable such a cheecky little face, he looks as if he is into everything. I hope you have as much fun and good times as we have with our Kuda let me know what he gets up to
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:10 AM

Good Morning Toonces, what can I say about owning a parrot. When I lived in the UK I was the proud owner of a Blue Crowned Conure called Bob, he was the most loving bird infact apart from a bubgie he was the only bird i ever had.
He was easy to train, I tought him to dance, show his wings, he used to shower every day and then open his wings while i gently blew his wings dry with the hair dryer, he could talk. I used to hang washing outside with him on my shoulder he never once tried to fly away, he was a one woman bird he tolerated the other member's in my family but i was his mate so he thought. He was loving, funny and so loyal but very demanding when i used to go to work he was continually calling my name asking where's mum gone yes he was an excellent talker. As soon as i turned the key into the front door he used to set off squaking and showing his excitement to see me. You have to have a lot of time and patience also a detached house so the neighbours cant complain about the noise, because boy when they squak they are really loud. One evening he was sat on my knee while we were watching tv I was just sat there stroaking his head as I did everynight, he made a strange noise when i looked at him Bob had died on my lap. He had not been ill nothing, as you can imagine the whole family were devestated his death actually made me ill, it was like loosing a child, the vet performed a post mortum it showed he was born with a genitic defect in his heart, infact he said he was lucky to live so long he was only 4 when he died, which is nothing in parrot years they live up to 50+. Even now i find it hard to look at video recordings of him it still upsets me so much and that was over 3 years ago when I lost him. When we moved to Spain i alway's toiled with the idea of getting another parrot, the pet shops here in spain sell animals dog's, cats' in cages in the front window of the shops, i dont know what its like in your part of the world, but in the UK its illegal to sell animals well dog's and cats in a pet shop. Here they seem to get away with it. I walked past a pet shop one day hung in the front window above the counter was a cage with an African Grey in it. My god did he look sad my heart went out to him, he had pulled most of his chest feathers out purly through boardam, I just had to buy him you see the trouble with me is I act on impulse , the bird like you all know we named him Diago was practically wild, he was mortified when any of us went near him, The man at the pet shop was very vague on the bird's history and I trusted the man, a few day's went by he was still in a state of panic when we went near him, the noice was unbearable, I knew then that i would not be able to keep this bird my neighbours are very nice, but when you have a semi wild Parrot squaking all day its no joke for them or us, I decided to go and seek advice from another pet shop. I found one that had a bit of knowledge about african grey's infact he had one himself in beautiful condition very tame talking his head off, I told him the story of Diago, he asked could he come to my apartment and see him, when he saw Diago he said straight away that he is semi wild no one had obviously bothered with him over the years, anyway he said the best thing would be to put him in an aveiry with other parrots he said it would take alot of time and patients with this bird. I am just so glad i bought him as I took him to a brilliant avery in a public park where they look after other parrots and birds in a Spain. They put him in an avery with a few other african grey's he seemed so happy to be with the other birds. Over the next few weeks i went back every day to see how Diego was doing his feathers have started growing back and guess what He has found a mate so I am so happy i did the right thing, the guilt i felt at first after buying him and then giving him away was just awful, but when i go to the park each day and see how he has improved and how happy he is with his own kind I know in my heart I have made the right decision. SO if you are thinking are getting an african grey obviously your circumstances will be different to mine just bear in mind the time and dedication you will have to give this bird, yes they are fun and loving and you can have a really good relationship with these birds just remember they live a long time, so what ever you decide I am sure you know best and will make the right decision, as for me I dont think I will ever own another parrot, i am happy going to the park seeing them happy flying round together.
Old March 9th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Arroyo,sorry about Bob
Thank's for Diagos story,it is a happy ending story,you saved him from the petshop,where he might have died

Tommys mom,Tommy looks great,almost all grown up
Is he finally healthy?
He has the same beautiful eyes as Kita
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Senior Contributor

arroyo I am so sorry about Bobs passing 4 yrs old is so young, its hard to see any pet pass away but when they are so young it makes it even worse.

What you did for Diego was a very selfless act and is to be commended. We always had birds growing up but budgies, finches and canarys and they were out of the cage most of the time, I would not want a bird to be caged and that is why I am doing so much research but your post has really made me rethink owning a bird. I have the time, patients and a perfect spot as my neighbours are far away. We do have parrot rescues here and I would adopt a bird not get one from a pet store. But time will tell, I think if I am unsure then maybe a parrot is not for me.

Thanks again for your response and I am truley sorry about Bob:sad: