Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old November 28th, 2005, 07:37 PM

looking for a teacup yorkie

Hello there! My names Jessica and I am new to this site, I am looking to buy a teacup yorkie (as u can tell by my user name :love: ) I love animals, especially dogs and more specifically yorkies!! if anyone has any info or comments on this please let me know! i can be e-mailed at:

- Jessica

Edited to remove personal e-mail address as per forum rules.

Last edited by Dragonfly; November 29th, 2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old November 28th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Welcome to the site. I'm afraid that you haven't picked the best choice of starters of topics. Teacup is first of all not a legitimate size. It is derived from poor breeding choices on the part of normally a puppy mill or backyard breeder. I'm sure you don't want to support either of these. I assume you are therefore looking for a handbag dog. Let me ask you this... do you know the health risks with such a small creature? Do you understand that they should never be around small children up to the age of 12? Never around large dogs? I don't mean to sound harsh but I've received many a handbag dog that was turned in because either it grew 2lbs too much or the big dog didn't get along with it or it got nippy with kids. Pardon my lack of enthusiasm for this particuliar choice.
Old November 28th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Senior Contributor

OH dear. To add to BMDLuver's excellent post: Any breeder advertising "Teacup" dogs is not reputable or responsible. Why? Because good breeders do NOT breed out of standard, undersized dogs - that is, anything under 4 lbs. There is no such breed as a "Teacup Yorkie".

Breeders who are just trying to make as much money as possible no doubt have NOT health tested or titled their breeding dogs. This means you could get a runty puppy riddled with health problems that will cost you a fortune (luxating patellas, hypoglycemia, SEVERE dental and tracheal problems, bone problems, malformed internal organs) and could possibly mean a lot of heartache not to mention the suffering the poor dog will do.

Yes, even the best breeders can get mismarked or out-of-standard puppies, but would NEVER call them "Teacup" or "Rare" etc. and would never charge more money for them.

Do the dogs a favour and do NOT support greedy and unethical people who just want your money.
Old November 28th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Kitty Consort

Hi there Jessica, and welcome to the site.
BMDluver is right on all counts.
There is no "recognized" teacup breed of dog.. Yorkie, Poodle or any other, but they are out there... due to the demand for "purse dogs."
They're average life span is said to be around 8, and their size leads to all manner of health and temperment issues.

I have an 10 year old toy poodle ( an adult rescue) who is six pounds.
I adore this little guy... but would never choose such a small dog again. Some people think he is a teacup.. but he meets the height for a very small toy.
He is quite high strung and not good with young children. ( our kids are grown) I must always watch him around little ones.. for their and his sake.

If you have your heart set on a Yorkie, I would urge you to look for a regular size one, the larger the better. This is still very tiny by anyones standards. The health risks will be less and the temperment likely much more stable.

Yorkies are lovely dogs, and I wish you good luck in your search.
Old November 28th, 2005, 09:04 PM

Hi there: Welcome to the board!

I agree with what has already been said here, so I won't elaborate more. Instead, I suggest you check out the following site to find out more about yorkies and perhaps, so that you can find out information on rescuing a yorkie in need of a loving home.

http://adopt-a-yorkie.1-800-save-a-pet.com/

An example of reputable yorkie breeder can be found at the following link:

http://www.magma.ca/~nicnak/

This breeder shows their dogs, breeds for quality and will likely want to ensure that all potential homes are suitable for their babies.
Old November 28th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Ditto on what others have said.

Here is proof.

http://members.aol.com/CYorkie/Teacup.html

Also,you can try this rescue out.They are in Brampton.

http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?act...ON90&preview=1
Old December 1st, 2005, 06:45 PM
Fish Guru - Formerly sneakypete79

Excellent job intimidating and scaring off the new person.
WTG everyone!
Old December 1st, 2005, 07:00 PM
Senior Contributor

So giving information, citing facts, imparting knowledge and trying to help stop the exploitation of animals by unethical breeders "scares people off"?

How odd is that....
Old December 1st, 2005, 09:39 PM

Maybe the OP just hasn't checked this tread as they were intending on receiving emails with information--but the email address was removed for privacy reasons. Also, if you check the profile, Jessica has not returned since moments after posting this thread....sooo....she's waiting on the emails I think.

I think we all want to help Jessica find a new Yorkie for her family, right? No one is trying to prevent or scare anyone off....
Old December 1st, 2005, 11:34 PM

It's kind of weird to post on a message board and never come back, no? I'd be more eager than that (hence the 6500 posts... eager indeed...)
Old December 2nd, 2005, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakypete79
Excellent job intimidating and scaring off the new person.
WTG everyone!
The posts have all been polite and educational.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 09:07 AM

I thought they were fine as well. I've seen a lot worse out there on other forums.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I too want to welcome wanta to the Board and can only agree with what the others have said. I have a friend who b=shows and breeds Yorkies and would oonly add there is no such "category" as teacup. That is only used by unscrucupulous breeders and puppy mills and you may just not be aware of that. Yorkies are so small and tiny dogs to start with that a teacup one would be almost a misnomer. They are adorable dogs and I urge you to look in Petfinder or check our reliable brdeers who may have small Yorkies (but they are all sooo cute and tiny that you can almost never be disapointed). And buying from a good breeder assures you of a healthy puppy and breeder who will help you and be there for you especially if you are new to Yorkies.

And saw nothing untoward in any of the responses!
Old December 2nd, 2005, 05:51 PM

There was nothing particularly "untoward"
about the response. I just find often times on
this forum, people rush in and start stating facts
in a way that overloads the poster, and makes it
unlikely for them to ever respond.
This happens frequently here on this site.
I just wanted to remind everyone, that perhaps
instead of rushing in with facts and opinions,
there are better ways of responding.
Maybe this person isnt even aware of the small
size a regular yorkie is.
My mother in law calls her Yorkie a "teacup", and still
for some reason thinks there is a toy/teacup - to her these
words are interchangeable, and a standard yorkie. No matter
how much I tell her. She also believes pomeranians come
in a toy and a standard.
It is possible this person is just saying they want a small toy
yorkie. Too much information can be overwhelming to people
who are not prepared for such.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 05:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Sneaky, you would never make it my work. I have to give info no one wnats to hear, and that I really hate to be even giving!! But sometimes things need to be said!
Old December 2nd, 2005, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
It is possible this person is just saying they want a small toy
yorkie. Too much information can be overwhelming to people
who are not prepared for such
A Yorkie is already a toy breed. The standard calls for a dog between 4 - 7 lbs. Anyone breeding for sizes smaller than that is not reputable and no one should be giving them money. Why would facts intimidate someone? They are readily available on the ACK website.Your mother in law can read them too.

I didn't always know about unethical backyard breeders. But when I was told the facts, I was grateful, since I don't want to support people like that. I didn't think "I don't want to hear that because I want what I want and don't care about anything else."

It was through being told the unsavory facts that I went and got a rescue dog, instead of a puppy from some disreptuable breeder. Being educated shouldn't "scare" anyone. The OP specifically requested:
Quote:
if anyone has any info or comments on this please let me know! i
She didn't specify that she wanted only positive comments, or just a few facts....right?

So instead of saying "WTG", can you tell us how we should have answered the request for a "teacup" Yorkie breeder?
Old December 2nd, 2005, 06:39 PM

I was looking up the breed standard on the CKC website as well as the AKC website. The standard on both stated the dog could not exceed 7lbs. It never even had a minimum weight. If these clubs don't want the small breeds bred so small they need to put a minimum in the standard.

I did notice Lucky added the minimum weight is 4 lbs. I am just not sure the info is that available. Especially if you count on your Kennel clubs for breed standards.
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 06:55 PM
Senior Contributor

You're right. The AKC site gives sparse details.

You can read about so-called "Teacups" in much greater depth on the Yorkie Club of America site.
http://www.ytca.org/faq.html
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:05 PM

I think that it is very important to provide facts to people who may not otherwise know that there really is no such thing as a "teacup" dog. What most people want when they ask for a "teacup" is a toy breed. Many are unaware that this is a term used by unscrupulous breeders out to make a quick buck. I have met many people who tell me they want a teacup dog, I inform them, in a polite way, that there is no such thing. A yorkie bred to standard by a reputable breeder is already what many people would believe to be a teacup.

I hope Jessica does come back as there is quite a bit of information on this post and others on this site that can help her with her search for her perfect family companion. Maybe she is indeed waiting for the emails and just hasn't had the time to check in.
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I saw a what I thought was a"tea-cup"Yorkie at my pet-supply store,it was really tiny.But the owner said she was just small and a purebred Yorkie.
She was a little doll and really good tempered.
Before joining this Forum,I thought a tea-cup dog was a breed but I soon learned different.
I've also met a lady with a Tea-Cup Chihuahua,cars used to slow down when she walked this little thing on the sidewalk,they would never be my choice,but was he ever cute...she paid $1.500 for him somewhere
Old December 4th, 2005, 06:47 PM

We get that all the time

My boyfriend, for a variety of reason we won't talk about now, has a barely 3 lbs yorkie pup who is 6 months old. He is very small, though wasn't really supposed to be, his mom was 7 lbs, dad was 6, but it doesn't look like he's going to grow much more. He's really really tiny, too tiny for me but he's not mine so its not my call. For a little guy, he has a great dispostion and is actually fairly well trained (he gets to hang out in the site trailers in new subdivisions every few Fridays while the BF does his house inspections)

When we're out and about the the dogs, we are always asked if he's a teacup. We then have to get into the conversation that 'No, he's not a teacup, as there is no such thing... He's a smaller version of the dog, the dogs are supposed to be small to begin with...' Its really frustrating, because the person who asked the question thinks you don't know what you're talking about because to them, tea cups are real...
Old December 4th, 2005, 06:48 PM

I guess the above could be considered as high-jacking... sorry...
Old December 4th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I really need the email addy that was deleted from the original post. I know of a dog for this person, and need to know where in ON she is.

Don't know why web-based email addys are being deleted..??
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetFriendly
My boyfriend, for a variety of reason we won't talk about now, has a barely 3 lbs yorkie pup who is 6 months old. He is very small, though wasn't really supposed to be, his mom was 7 lbs, dad was 6, but it doesn't look like he's going to grow much more. He's really really tiny, too tiny for me but he's not mine so its not my call. For a little guy, he has a great dispostion and is actually fairly well trained (he gets to hang out in the site trailers in new subdivisions every few Fridays while the BF does his house inspections)

When we're out and about the the dogs, we are always asked if he's a teacup. We then have to get into the conversation that 'No, he's not a teacup, as there is no such thing... He's a smaller version of the dog, the dogs are supposed to be small to begin with...' Its really frustrating, because the person who asked the question thinks you don't know what you're talking about because to them, tea cups are real...

If the pup is only six months he could easilly put on another pound or two. I was just thinking of my dog a 6 months, she didn't really grow any taller, just filled out quit a bit.
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old December 5th, 2005, 07:16 PM

Pet friendly,
my mother in law had a Yorkie, she sold it now to a good
home, thankfully, she had no time for the poor thing.
She weighed in at 2.5 pounds for a long long time, from about 4 months old till 7 months, then over 2 months time gained a pound and a half to a whole 4
pounds, and is still growing.
Most dogs dont mature and fully fill out in weight till they are about 2.
Old December 5th, 2005, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakypete79
Pet friendly,
my mother in law had a Yorkie, she sold it now to a good
home, thankfully, she had no time for the poor thing.
She weighed in at 2.5 pounds for a long long time, from about 4 months old till 7 months, then over 2 months time gained a pound and a half to a whole 4
pounds, and is still growing.
Most dogs dont mature and fully fill out in weight till they are about 2.
We changed his food over to something else, because he wasn't eating much and was getting a little bony. Its been a month on the new food and there is muscle now over the rib cage so I'm thinking he just might reach the 6 lb mark during his last growth spurt?!

Charley on the other hand is 10 months old and hasn't grown a bit for the last two.

I think the 'they grow until they are two' applies more to the much larger breeds, though I expect both our little ones to fill out a bit.
Old December 5th, 2005, 08:53 PM

Ya, now they say to switch little dogs to adult food at 6 months because they have pretty well stopped growing by then. Bigger dogs definitely need more time to fully develop.
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:07 PM

I was saying 2, because in my experience,
thats about how long it took my Chihuahua to grow
to her full size, height, length and weight.
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Has got it going on

I can't stand when people refer to tiny dogs as "teacups".

I just have to say that I absolutely LOVE you guys! The world needs more people who are actually educated about dogs. :love:
Old December 6th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Senior Contributor

If I recall,"teacup" is just another word for someone who breeds their "runt" to another "runt"...Runt being the smallest of the litter.

But don't be fooled by people who advertise them as "teacups"

Look at Paris Hilton.She gave up Tinkerbell(supposedly a "teacup" Chi) because she got to big.And get ready for this guys.I heard she paid $10.000 for her...