Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 30th, 2007, 09:00 AM

Exclamation Very ill Dog may have eaten Skunk feces

Hello There!
I'm new to this forum but it seems to have the best questions and answers out there, so I hope you can help me.

We have a very old pure-bred brittney spaniel that my boyfriend rescued from the SPCA for his elderly mom a few years ago. We had to put his mom in a home last year so we've now inherited Ginger. She's an old girl (we have no idea how old) that was likely a puppy-mill dog with several old dog issues, but we love her just the same.

The day before yesterday, Ginger took a huge (long solid log) poop on the bathroom floor (which she NEVER does unless she's absolutely desperate) and peed there too.

Yesterday and today she looks like she has the flu - too weak to walk anywhere, eat or drink anything. She took sips of water and still pees so something is going through her.

Our neighbor says he saw a skunk in the bushes where Ginger explores and does her 'business' all the time and, on the day where everything seemed to start, my boyfriend saw her emerge eating something, which we now think might have been skunk feces, rather than her own. (Why do dogs eat their own poop like that?)

Would this be making her so ill? Would it persist two days later? We'll be taking her to the vet this evening, but just thought I'd see if it's there's something we could do for her in the meantime or if there is a serious danger.

Thanks in advance for all your help!