Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 5th, 2007, 09:23 PM
chronically insane.

Exclamation Need help again, cats are being REALLY weird.

It's not just Kasey. It's all of them.

About 3 and a half hours ago, they started being kind of weird. It started off with Maxwell. he kept acting like there was a monster under my bed. Reallyy really weird. I thought he was just being goofy so when he was in attack mode and ready to get "the monster under the bed", i grabbed his butt. he really freaked out though. really odd. I checked under the bed, theres nothing. at all. my room is the same as it's been. my mom cleaned a few days ago so its not like theres anything weird going on.

well he was still being weird and was in attack mode and was sitting on my bed looking over the edge like ready to pounce. he was serious though. not being silly. eventually he gave up on trying to kill whatever there was that was scaring him.

then socks started being a little weird. she is a weird cat but she started purring alot and wanted attention. thats not totally unusual though, but she was being pushier then usual.

then about an hour ago I went into the kitchen to get a snack and was standing at the counter and everyone was behind me like usual. the always stand there and watch people in the kitchen waiting for scraps to drop or whatever.

lala im putting some food on my plate and suddenly they all FREAKKEDDD OUT. like megafreaked out. Missy and Kasey ran into the sofa and hid, maxwell and socks ran up the stairs. I went and found them all and got them all to come to me and they were all poofed out and in attack mode. I mean I did not do anything out of the ordinary. I was just munching on some food and it was the same as any other time.

now they keep acting strange and poofing out and going into attack mode like ready to kill. they keep hiding too. and being all weird.

i have them all in here with me now in my bedroom and maxwell is still being funny about something being under the bed.

I don't know what to do. They are being completely weird. this is not normal like how kasey was being crazy before.

Should I be worried? they are freaking me out.

Theres no bugs or rodents or anything theres nothing weird about my house . nothing new, no new noises. my house is cleaned daily so theres never any weird smells. no ones been here today either. its been quiet but they keep freaking out.

it's not even stormy outside. theres nothing weird happening! I'm really scared though. My mom thought it was funny at first and then was kind of weirded out but now shes in bed and I'm all alone and my cats are scaring me.

Okay, what do I do? I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep if my cats are upset. They are just being WAYYY too weird and I've never seen them this crazy or upset before. I don't know what to say other then they must think theres ghosts in the house or something. I dont know what else could be going on.

help me out please please please.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old July 5th, 2007, 09:59 PM

Only thing I could think of that would be affecting them all would be a change in the environment - approaching storm or other weather change or something like that. Otherwise I would check the house to make sure they all didnt get into anything that might cause them to ack wierd. If it keeps up I would take them to the vet.
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:09 PM
chronically insane.

Theres supposed to be thunderstorms, but theres been all week. There were fireworks last night and they werent even acting this strange.

it's really not even funny anymore.

They've all fallen asleep in my room. But I don't know what to do if they start acting up again.

Oh and all our chemicals and cleaners and everything is properly locked up and theres no way they would be able to access anything dangerous because he have safted locks (well we improvised with coat hangers) on the cabinet the stuff is in so theres no way anyone get into anything like that.

I have to go to work tommorow and I can't have my babys freaking out all night.

Chances are its just the weather right??? they really had me scared. Theres been alot of lightening and flooding and stuff around here but its quiet now.

Edit:

Okay theres deff. a big storm approaching... they are acting up again and being hyper and stuff. theres nothing I can do is there? other then just let them run around and go crazy? i mean this is not their first storm i dont know why its affecting them so much...

Last edited by kathryn; July 5th, 2007 at 10:54 PM.
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:30 PM
~Cat Servent~

Well first of all, calm down yourself... The more you freak out that they're freaking out the more they will freak out! Cats are very in tune to their owners emotions and often mimick them. They may be freaked out a bit by an approaching storm long before you have any idea it's coming.

Oh and as I was reading this the trio that was watching a moth in the window beside me had a wicked group freak out, one of them got a twitch, then suddenly I'm being used as a spring board to vacate the room as fast as their little legs would carry them. Even knocked down the fan on their way out. My little weirdos... gotta love 'em.

I have a theory on that one though... I think the cat crazies are kinda contagious to other cats and to us humans... one gets acting freaky enough and suddenly we're all looking around to see why. (And most times it's cause they catch their own shadow or something! ) It's that old mob mentality...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I would chalk it up to cats being cats.
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Senior Contributor

This sounds pretty normal to me, sometimes one of my cats will be following what appears to be nothing into a dark corner or waiting for it to emerge, then it turns out to be a miniscule bug, or a dust bunny on the move

See if you can find Rescue Remedy (health food store, some supermarkets and pharmacies) and add a few dozen drops to their common water bowl. Might help.

Last edited by badger; July 6th, 2007 at 08:07 AM.
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Perhaps an event has happened while you were not around that scared them and now they are on guard.

One Christmas when we were putting up the Xmas tree, one of cats tried to climb into a plastic grocery bag. She ended up with the handle of the bag stuck around her neck. She freaked out, ran all over the house with the bag around her neck thinking something was after her. My other cat started to freak out at her, not recognizing her or the sound the plastic bag was making. He was terrrified of her. We finally caught her took the bag off (she was unharmed) and for DAYS after that both the cats were terrified, stalking around the house like there was a monster. My male would not go near my female. It was quite bizarre, but eventually, they calmed down. We thought it was funny, but obviously it traumatized them. If this happened while we were at work and didn't know about the plastic bag, we would have no clue as to why they were acting as if there was a ghost or monster in the house.

So keep an eye on them, don't worry about them and I think you will find they will calm down also.
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Kitty pimp

spooked

I am not sure where you live but maybe you have a cditter trying o get in like a Racoon or other animal. My cats did this and the dog too and we eventually discovered a pair of squireels in the basement.
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Senior Contributor

My Oksana freaked out a bit with the fireworks, but then she saw Vlad was being calm about it so she calmed down. So what the others said is true, they are very in tune to the emotions around them.

Maybe you might try that Feliway stuff. I've never used it, but I've heard it works very well in calming cats down when they are stressed out. I'm moving at the end of the month, so I'm going to put some in my new place the day before I bring them over, just so they don't get too stressed over the change.
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:52 PM
chronically insane.

It ended up being the storm. so weird! it was like 50+ miles away when they started freaking out and that so strange. they calmed down after it subsided. I just hope they don't make a habit of this because it scared me and kept me up.

thanks everyone. it was freakyyy.

Old July 6th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Kitty pimp

early warning system

better than the weather service eh?
i used to run a portrait studio and any time a low was coming the kids would be very jumpy
Old July 6th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Senior Contributor

All my pets have been much better than the weather system - the stranger they act, the worse I know an approaching or predicted storm will be!
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
I would chalk it up to cats being cats.
I ditto sugarcatmom
Old July 9th, 2007, 12:09 PM

I had this same situation with my two cats a while ago... they would stand at the door to my bedroom and act like there was a giant mouse or something in there... they freaked me out the first night! They usually sleep with me and the next morning when I woke up, they were still sitting at the door so I went and picked them both up and put them on the bed... my big guy jumped off right away but my smaller girl started jumping straight up and down like she didn't want to put her feet down! It was crazy.. she was all puffed up and just bouncing up and down.. of course I was worried but couldn't really help laughing.. it looked soo funny! Anyway, I threw the blanket over top and she stopped.. then it hit me.. I bought new bed sheets...pin striped sheets that for some reason must have seemed like it was moving to her or something.. I tested it by turning down the corner of the blanket until she saw the stripes and there she went.. I ended up taking the sheets off my bed, made a dog pillow with it... because the dog hates it when the cats lay on his bed! Cats can be the most intelligent and the most confusing animals all at once can't they.. never a boring day with a cat!!
Old July 9th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by breavery View Post
I bought new bed sheets...pin striped sheets that for some reason must have seemed like it was moving to her or something.. I tested it by turning down the corner of the blanket until she saw the stripes and there she went..
Wow, thanks for posting that. I'll keep in mind to stay away from stripes on my bedding just in case mine decide to get kitty crazies.

Mine are pretty good. Oksana is the one that gets a bit scared with lighting and firecrackers. But Vlad actually runs toward the disturbance LOL, like he's going to fight it or something. It seems that since Oksana sees him not worry too much it eases her mind. I only hope we don't get any major hurricanes this year. I get the feeling they will get stressed out there.
Old July 9th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Swift Tribe

is there a possibility you have a moisture thus a mold problem???

-ashley
Old July 9th, 2007, 04:07 PM
The demons' servant

My kitties were a little nuts with the weather last night...then again they were just really really vocal...

I've not seen the "jumping at shadows" thing....well not often...usually they go off and chase nothing...rather funny to watch...well until they start heading for your ankles

Megan