Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 27th, 2003, 02:48 AM

beagles throwing up sometimes

I have two 3 year old beagles and about twice a week they throw up. its usually early in the morning or late at night, and rarely after they eat. It is always this kind've bile (yellowish flemmy fluid). I've asked my vet about it but she says as long as my dogs are happy and active they are okay. I've put them on sensitive stomach food and the same thing always happens. on some occasions it happens three nights in a row, then it goes away for a week or two then comes back. If you have any suggestions or if you know why my dogs throw up like this can you please help.
Old February 27th, 2003, 06:39 PM

Hi. I would get a second opinion from a different vet. My dog has done this aswell but never that much. Throwing up bile once in a while is really not a problem but if it is on a weekly or more basis there could be something wrong. Have you looked at different diets? What are you currently feeding them? Let me know.
Old February 28th, 2003, 01:12 AM

Right now I have them on Nutra Natural choice Lite, they were on Science Diet for sensitive stomaches but they were still throwing up occasionally so I figured I wasn't going to spend a lot of money for expensive food that didn't help them. This is the second vet I've asked about this and they both say that its normal for beagles to throw up like this, but I've talked to some other beagle owners and their beagles hardly ever throw up.
Old February 28th, 2003, 06:35 PM

Hi. I have never heard of Natural Choice but I do know Science Diet very well and I can honestly tell you if is just about the crappiest food out there. It is right full of chemical preservatives and it uses really low quality ingredients as well as grain fillers (most dogs do not digest grains very efficiantly). Science Diet is recommended by a lot of vets BUT, vets also get the one nutrition course they take in vet school from Hills Company which is the maker of Science Diet.... a little biased if you ask me. If you are now feeding a food that is cheaper than Science Diet I would strongly recommend getting something different cause when it comes to dog food, you get what you pay for **in most cases**. Try a food like Innova, Wellness, Royal Canin. let me know if you have any questions. Good luck.
Old March 1st, 2003, 01:17 PM

Re:Natural Choice

I know that Natural Choice is a cheaper food than Science Diet but then again almost everything is. The reason I have them on Natural Choice is because it has no preservatives and a little higher in fibre than most dogs foods I've seen. I've heard that most dog foods don't have enough fibre, do you think this is true? regardless, next time I go to the vet (next month) I'm gonna really push the issue until they can tell me a good reason why they are doing this. If they can't tell me why I will try some of the foods you mentioned. Thank you for your help.