Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old January 5th, 2007, 03:30 PM

I'm your new puppy even tho' I'm in my 40's

Hi

I have an eleven month old dog called Hector. His mother was a pure bred cocker and his father was a border collie. I got him when he was 5 weeks old. I knew it was too young for a dog to be taken from his mother but the owner gave the "mongrels" to the ISPCA which is where I got him from.

He is a lovely pet, happy, funny, clever etc. but he gets aggressive with anyone who comes onto our property or into our house who isn't immediate family. He is grand when he goes for a walk on the beach or if we call to someone else's house (until someone comes in after he has arrived!).

He snarls and snaps and frightens people. If someone comes in he is aggressive for a while and then he calms down unless they stand up of walk around and then it starts all over again.

Please help. He is a happy and fun loving dog otherwise
Old January 5th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Was your question answered here? http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=1024

Old January 5th, 2007, 06:15 PM

I had a similar problem with a two year old bichon that I got in October.... turns out my poor dog was crated for approx. 20 hours a day..... I enrolled him in school and have made an effort to socialize him with both people and other dogs... he's doing really well with people, except, when we're in the elevator and there's more than one stranger... He's still skitish with other dogs the first time he meets them, but I do see a big improvement... All I can suggest is patience, persistance and a whole whack of rewards when he does the right thing.
Old January 6th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Senior Contributor

When you have a dog that is showing aggression toward people than it is time call in a professional dog trainer/behaviouralist, the first thing they will want to figure out is why is he behavng this way, as it could be fear, could be protectiveness or because he is being territorial, or could be a result of a medical problem like hypothyroidism or rage syndrome from there they can develop a training program to help him, in some cases meds also have to be prescribed on top of the trainig to say help reduce anxiety to a level where the dog can think and not just act on impulse, it will be different based on the cause, this is one reason trying to get help for this type of problem cannot be resolved over the internet, Contact your vet's office to see if they can recommend one to you your dog should also have a medical checkup including bloodwork
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown