Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 11th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy Fate's owner asked for advice about one of his cats

This young man is infuriating me,he has 3 cats and of course beautiful Fate.
He called me over and told me his one cat,a black female,pees everywhere,the beds,his leather-couch etc..
I suggested the vet as a first thing,check for UTI,he feeds his cats only dry food and the same cheap stuff for 5 years
I don't know why he asked,because he obviously thinks he knows best.
Says the cat is healthy and happy,no need to see the vet

Also his cats have been moved from the owners dad,to the owners grandmother and are now home,but with Fate,she'd never lived with a dog before.
I told him there are sooo many factors in this scenario that would stress a cat,no wonder she is peeing everywhere.
This is really not a question,more like a rant,I just hope he takes her to the vet before he does anything drastic.
He says he feeds them this dry stuff for their teeth,the very old excuse,I would say,he is just to darn lazy to bother feeding them canned
End of rant
Old October 11th, 2008, 05:14 PM
~Cat Servent~

Ah Chico... what a turd! A lady came in the other day while I was working and at first I was just chatting with her while she was trying on the coats... then she mentioned that they had to have one of their cats put down last year, so of course I said sorry and asked why.... well that was a mistake, she says well she started peeing everywhere and just seemed unhappy, so I asked what did the vet say? Um... we didn't ask, just asked them to euthenize her. Needless to say she thumbed through the coats all on her own after that.... and I will no longer be asking about people's pets at work. I really hope your neighbour does better than that! Have you tried to tell him how much he could save in the long run on vet bills by trying to feed canned? I know it's really hard to switch them from a really junk foody dry because they're so addictive, so even a grain free dry or something would help.

And as always rant all you like, we share your compassion for other's animals and understand your frustration completely... the world would be such a better place if we pet lovers had magic wands that we could wave, and people would instantly understand and do better for their pets!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 11th, 2008, 06:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
and I will no longer be asking about people's pets at work.
Same here krdahmer ! Happened a few times to me too where I said some things but then had to bite my tongue before freaking out on people.

Chico2 , if this looser doesn't want to take his cat to the vet , tell him to at least by one bag of kibble at the vet , the one for UTI , and wait and see.
Old October 11th, 2008, 06:54 PM
-

Your stupid arrogant neighbour infuriates me as well.

It's hard to deal with people like that......all I can say is good luck.
Old October 11th, 2008, 10:30 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Chico - I feel your pain. I talk to people about cats all the time at work. I get to see what they buy. Dogs too. I have to be careful or I will lose it some day.
Sometimes it is so hard not to tell people they are idiots for doing what they do. I had a woman tell me last week that her daughter had her two cats declawed but they are perfectly happy and healthy. I said maybe they are now but they sure weren't when they had the surgury. Then I asked how she would like her fingers cut off at the knuckle. I got the weirdest look. I told her that's what declawing a cat is. She didn't believe me.

What can you do? Nothing. The obviously knows how to look after his pets well. Look at the wonderful job he does with Fate.

Big to you for caring.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 12th, 2008, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I told him there are sooo many factors in this scenario that would stress a cat,no wonder she is peeing everywhere.
plus a new baby in the house also adds to the stress

this guy takes her for a check up, maybe you can guilt him into it?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 12th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Growler,yes,I forgot about the new baby
When I suggest canned food or at least good quality dry for his cats,he defends himself by saying his"other"cats lived to be almost 20 yrs old,on the same cheap dry stuff.
He is only 28yrs old,so they must have been his parents cats
I try to keep my distance,not discuss his cats,but he asked,he just did not like my answers.
He has one cat who is white and odd-eyed,just like Vinnie,he likes to have conversation-pieces,animals that are exceptional looking,just like beautiful Fate.
I will try to convince him to take the cat to the vet though,but through his GF,she seems to be more caring.
Old October 12th, 2008, 01:43 PM
-

I hope she listens to you, Chico.....good luck.
Old October 12th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
When I suggest canned food or at least good quality dry for his cats,he defends himself by saying his"other"cats lived to be almost 20 yrs old,on the same cheap dry stuff.
OMG, I haaaaate this sort of rationalizing. We all know people that eat nothing but junk food and never get fat. Does that mean junk food is the secret to a long healthy life? Just because George Burns lived to 100 while smoking multiple cigars a day, does that imply that everyone who smokes will live to 100? Duh. And I've said it before, but I'll say it again, there is a big difference between surviving and thriving. He's playing Russian Roulette with his cat's diet. Sure, some manage to survive on crappy food, but many many more become obese, develop diabetes, inflammatory bowel disease, dental disease, kidney failure, allergies, etc etc.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 12th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

SCM,first off I have to try to convince the girlfriend the female peeing cat needs a vet,then I'll work on the food.
Is there ANY dry food that is acceptable???
I know he will never mess with canned food(his words) for his three cats
Old October 12th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Even if you could convince them to add broth or water to the dry food for added moisture. If they insist on inexpensive dry food, tell them to use the kirkland stuff from Costco and add low sodium chicken broth to it to moisten it. They can buy the broth from Costco at the same time they get the food.

Cindy