Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 14th, 2012, 07:12 PM

Any suggestions? Controlling barking

I am moving in a few weeks, from a house, into a condo. I have two Dachshunds, and they do bark....a lot! I am looking for ways to help with the barking. I am tired of yelling "stop barking!" at them. Someone suggested having a newspaper handy and swatting their butts, however, I have never raised a hand to these pups nor shall they every know what it is to be swatted with a hand or anything else. I have a spray bottle with water in it which I use when they bark, it works but one of them is getting use to it and does not mind the water. I know its normal for dogs to bark, and here at the house, I don't mind a bit but when I move I am sure no one wants to hear them that often. They mainly bark when someone is at the door, which most dogs too. I just need help in training them not to bark if someone is at the door. I think they feel they need to protect me. Please don't suggest those terrible collars that spray something into their faces, not an option. Any suggestions?
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasianni View Post
I am moving in a few weeks, from a house, into a condo. I have two Dachshunds, and they do bark....a lot! I am looking for ways to help with the barking. I am tired of yelling "stop barking!" at them. Someone suggested having a newspaper handy and swatting their butts, however, I have never raised a hand to these pups nor shall they every know what it is to be swatted with a hand or anything else. I have a spray bottle with water in it which I use when they bark, it works but one of them is getting use to it and does not mind the water. I know its normal for dogs to bark, and here at the house, I don't mind a bit but when I move I am sure no one wants to hear them that often. They mainly bark when someone is at the door, which most dogs too. I just need help in training them not to bark if someone is at the door. I think they feel they need to protect me. Please don't suggest those terrible collars that spray something into their faces, not an option. Any suggestions?
you can buy a stop barking device that you put on a wall . It will give off a sound when your dogs bark.
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
you can buy a stop barking device that you put on a wall . It will give off a sound when your dogs bark.
Really? Is it a sound only they can hear or can we hear it as well. Where would I be able to purchase this, do you know?
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:51 PM

My Yorkie does this as well. Even if she hears a door bell or knocking on the tv! I've tried having her sit and be quiet and if she isn't i spray her with water and say quiet! then if she does it I give her a treat. It's a work in progress. I'm also open to any suggestions.
Old June 15th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Senior Contributor

There's some really good info at Dog Star Daily on how to deal with excessive barking: http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/excessive-barking

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 15th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hmm maybe some people with additional training skills can weigh in but I think it's more realistic to allow your dogs to bark a couple of times when someone is at the door - but not incessantly.

They are hardwired to protect you by barking just as you are hardwired to fight or flee when something scares you. Changing something that is hardwired in dogs (or people) is very difficult.
Just try to get a terrier to stop digging for example.

If I were you I'd work on getting them to bark just a couple of times but to be quiet when you tell them to. Just my opinion tho.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Hmm maybe some people with additional training skills can weigh in but I think it's more realistic to allow your dogs to bark a couple of times when someone is at the door - but not incessantly.

They are hardwired to protect you by barking just as you are hardwired to fight or flee when something scares you. Changing something that is hardwired in dogs (or people) is very difficult.

If I were you I'd work on getting them to bark just a couple of times but to be quiet when you tell them to. Just my opinion tho.
That's exactly what I said in my post, that barking is normal and I don't mind a bit of barking (at the house here, I don't mind it at all, they bark, then its done with) its the non stop barking when someone is at the door. I don't mind that they bark, it lets me know someone is there. However, they don't stop for some time, and its that barking I would like to get under control.
Old June 15th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasianni View Post
Really? Is it a sound only they can hear or can we hear it as well. Where would I be able to purchase this, do you know?
http://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/a...FQjf4AodmkqHVg

Here is one link , I bet you could find them for less money. I have seen an ad on TV for stop barking devices . Only pets will be able to hear the sound. People can't hear as good as dogs.
Old June 15th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

I agree, I wish my new dog would bark at least once to let me know someone is outside my house. I would use the stop barking device when the dogs are home alone so they will not drive other people nuts.
Old June 15th, 2012, 11:31 AM

Teach them a place command. Set up a bed big enough for both of them and teach them that every time some one comes to the door they are to run to their place and sit there quietly, for which they get treats.

Barking at a perceived intruder is normal, barking obsessively can be a learned behaviour.

Why are you against collars but ok with a device on a wall that works based on the exact same principal as a bark collar except that it is on a wall where it is actually less effective?
Old June 15th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Gotcha - must have misunderstood.
I like Choochi's idea.
I have also seen a sharp sound used a few years ago (I think maybe on a cesar show) that immediately got some dogs to stop barking.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 15th, 2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choochi View Post
Teach them a place command. Set up a bed big enough for both of them and teach them that every time some one comes to the door they are to run to their place and sit there quietly, for which they get treats.

Barking at a perceived intruder is normal, barking obsessively can be a learned behaviour.

Why are you against collars but ok with a device on a wall that works based on the exact same principal as a bark collar except that it is on a wall where it is actually less effective?

I am against it because sadly Theo has seizures and I do not want anything around his neck. I was really referring to the collars that spray citronella into their faces. Before I purchase any device, I will certainly do my research. I do like the idea of teaching them to go to their "place" when someone comes to the door as I said I don't mind some barking, it is what dogs, its the excessive barking I need help with.
Old June 15th, 2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Gotcha - must have misunderstood.
I like Choochi's idea.
I have also seen a sharp sound used a few years ago (I think maybe on a cesar show) that immediately got some dogs to stop barking.

I like the idea as well. I am going to try that, I think its better than any collar or device. I really don't want to stop them from doing what comes naturally, I just want them to know they don't need to continue barking after the person has come into the house, which they do, its crazy.
Old June 15th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choochi View Post

Did you try the kind you use on the wall? I know there are collars that spray when a dog bark. My Standard Poodle when to an indoor play group when the weather too bad and he would bark a lot. He had a spray collar put on him and he stopped barking as soon as he got sprayed in the face. This does not work will all dogs. A boxer kept barking when he got sprayed , he did not seem to realize why he was getting sprayed. I suggested the device you use on the wall as I was thinking it would cost less than buy two collars.
Old June 15th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

It seems that at this point the door bell or knocking is a trigger to their barking and then they feed off of each others energy and continue barking.
They are alerting the pack there is a potential intruder AND trying to scare off the intruder. Not their job. A bark or two would be okay if they stopped when you said so, but that will be tough to control when you aren't around.
This is often a symptom of their over all relationship with you, and with each other. If they aren't listening to you in general then they aren't convinced you are the leader/decision maker of the house and they are taking charge.
It is important to make a shift in your relationship in everything you do, so they start to look to you for guidance and advice instead of just independently reacting to each other and the door.
Engage them as much as you can with lots of direction throughout the day. Even the basics are handy when thats all you've got. But try to build a new vocabulary and introduce as many new skills as you can. This gives you lots of opportunities to communicate in addition to changing their minds about who is in charge of the house. The more you engage your dogs through out the day the better leader/teacher you become and the better student/followers they become.
As mentioned earlier - you can teach them to go to a spot when they hear someone at the door and that can work great. But can be challenging when you aren't around.
Another piece of the puzzle is to desensitize them to the knocking at the door. You need to have them on leashes attached to someone so the person can direct/correct the dogs when they begin to bark. But then you need to have someone repeatedly knock or ring the bell. First do it in a slow rhythm - slow rhythm is easier to adjust to. Then change up the rhythm as the dogs stop reacting to the slow rhythm and get them adjusted to a new rhythm. If they bark then you should step/stomp towards them quickly and say 'no bark' in a firm, abrupt tone, then turn away. The forward movement towards them is pressure and the turning away is release. If they don't bark you could treat them or offer calm praise. Don't over do it. Too much praise can get them right back to an energized state.
You should also randomly knock when they are eating, when you are watching TV, before you go out the door, when you come back in, etc. Remove the idea that a knocking sound always means an intruder. Make it random and exhausting to the point where they don't have the desire to bark at knocking anymore. Bore the heck out of the whole thing, for example, dogs raised in a vacuum cleaner store don't have issues with vacuums.
Are they crate trained? Sometimes dogs prefer to be in a small environment and will stay calmer over all in a crate. Less responsibility.
Put a note on the door asking people to be patient while you get your dogs under control. This takes the pressure off of you and will give you a chance to gain control before opening the door. The big mistake people make is they shuffle the dogs back from the door (as they keep yapping), and then let the person in. Failure on all levels. We must always repeat, repeat and repeat until we reach success. Even a little success is a teaching moment.
You should ask friends to come over to practice and ask them to come to the door and knock, practice having the dogs go to their spot and be quiet, open the door and greet your friends, but always be ready to correct the dogs and put them back in their spot. Or just back them down the hallway and claim your space, then open the door - always be aware of the dogs and ready to back them away from the door (leash is handy for this). Until they can remain calm while the person comes in. Oh, and be sure to have the visitor ignore the dogs until they are calm and relaxed.
Dogs will challenge you 3-5 times before they change. However if you have taught them that challenging works they will challenge you even more. So be patient and stick to your guns. Do not quit!
Because this is bigger than just barking - you have more work to do than just stopping the barking. But the more you can create structure in your everyday living the easier it will be to deal with this issue.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old June 16th, 2012, 12:03 PM

some times we get sucked into trying to teach a dog what not to do i.e. stop obsessive barking by trying to stop the behaviour, bark collars, shake cans, yelling... but we don't think to teach them what TO do. It's some times much more effective to stop a nuisance behaviour by offering an alternate acceptable behaviour. Teach your dog what you expect of them, don't' just keep telling what you don't want without offering alternatives expecting them to figure that out.
Old June 16th, 2012, 12:32 PM

Tenderfoot - Thank you for taking the time to give me all this information. I agree with everything you said and its all so helpful. I have a big job ahead of me.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:13 AM

Help with barking.

Good morning, I've read through a number of posts and have a couple of suggestions that may be helpful in your situation. I am a trainer and specialize in behaviour issues. The first suggestion is to think about what you want rather than what you don't want, for example, I want my dog to have some self control , instead of thinking I want my dog to stop barking.

Now that you know what you want, you can work towards achieving that. To do this start by ignoring the barking, don't look at them, don't talk to them, don't join in. When they stop say to them, good job thank you and reward* them for being quiet. If the barking happens at a window you can get between them and the window and block their access. Again, no sound, when they stop barking, reward, when they move away from the window reward. For a few days, reward randomly but often anytime they are being quiet and relaxed. After a few days spread out the rewards.

As it gets easier, delay the reward until they learn to ignore the window or noises for a few seconds, then when that's easy wait for 5-10 seconds before rewarding.

*A reward is a piece of food that is of higher value to the dogs then the distraction, noise, people, other dogs..... If the reward isn't good enough it isn't a reward.

Good Luck!!
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall View Post
Good morning, I've read through a number of posts and have a couple of suggestions that may be helpful in your situation. I am a trainer and specialize in behaviour issues. The first suggestion is to think about what you want rather than what you don't want, for example, I want my dog to have some self control , instead of thinking I want my dog to stop barking.

Now that you know what you want, you can work towards achieving that. To do this start by ignoring the barking, don't look at them, don't talk to them, don't join in. When they stop say to them, good job thank you and reward* them for being quiet. If the barking happens at a window you can get between them and the window and block their access. Again, no sound, when they stop barking, reward, when they move away from the window reward. For a few days, reward randomly but often anytime they are being quiet and relaxed. After a few days spread out the rewards.

As it gets easier, delay the reward until they learn to ignore the window or noises for a few seconds, then when that's easy wait for 5-10 seconds before rewarding.

*A reward is a piece of food that is of higher value to the dogs then the distraction, noise, people, other dogs..... If the reward isn't good enough it isn't a reward.

Good Luck!!
If I had given my Standard Poodle a treat after he stopped barking he would
had barked some more to get another treat. This would had never worked with him.