Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 21st, 2013, 04:35 PM

House by high voltage power lines vs cats/dogs

Any issues with cats and dogs living very close to High Voltage power lines. I'm looking into a house that is 200-300 feet from the power line towers. I'm not too concerned about myself but wondering if it would bother the animals like day the buzzing/static noise.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 06:46 AM

I'd be just as concerned about myself as I would be about the animals. That's just my opinion, though.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 07:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Read up on ELF though I think the danger has been pretty well discredited. If I remember correctly the man who did a lot of the research falsified results.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:34 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

A bigger problem might be stray voltage...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 22nd, 2013, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

When I was a health aide I had client and her son and dog both dies of cancer and a neighbor across the street had cancer ,and there was a high voltage power line right next the people homes. And the ground the pole was on was being treated with toxic weed pesticide . I thought it was very odd my client son and dog both dies from cancer.

I would more concerned about health issues than anything else.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Read up on ELF though I think the danger has been pretty well discredited. If I remember correctly the man who did a lot of the research falsified results.
My question would be discredited by whom? You can find any number of studies done on any number of subjects, and most of the time, the results depend largely on who is funding that particular study.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 11:55 AM
Senior Contributor

https://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19900207.html

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...opics/emf.html

FWIW I would not want to live near one. They are ugly, they hum and my radio doesn't work right when I drive under them. Whenever you buy a house you should think about how difficult it might be to sell it later on.

The pesticide comment is a very good one. It may not be the ELF but the pesticide used to keep vegetation beneath it under control that is the greater risk.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 08:23 PM
Willing cat servant

In a big city in Mexico called Guadalajara there's an Avenue "Inglaterra" which means England with towers and high voltage power lines and there has been a high incidence of cancer among the population who lives on it. People are even starting to call it cancer avenue over there. I don't have a hard science study to back this up though but still people and animals are getting sick there.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
https://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19900207.html

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...opics/emf.html

FWIW I would not want to live near one. They are ugly, they hum and my radio doesn't work right when I drive under them. Whenever you buy a house you should think about how difficult it might be to sell it later on.

The pesticide comment is a very good one. It may not be the ELF but the pesticide used to keep vegetation beneath it under control that is the greater risk.
I'm not a tin-foil-hat-wearing alarmist by any means, but I would never trust a study put out or sponsored by any government organization. The 2nd link looks more believable.

You're right, though. Resale will be tough, and that's always something you want to think of when buying a house. Even if you don't intend to ever leave, eventually someone will have to sell it on your behalf. Also, the pesticide use is a huge deal, especially when you're dealing with pets.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 11:39 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Not convinced I'd want to live close to one either...mostly for the buzz and the pesticide issue....but you just never know... For practical reasons, and due to the lifespan differences between humans dogs and cats, I'd be much more concerned about any potential risks to my human family....

I lived in a lovely brand new development in a lovely home within 2 kms of an oil refinery for 2.5 years. I could smell the oil in the air and it bothered me because I kept saying to myself...'this can't be an ideal living situation'. That was 5ish years ago and now this development is thriving with plenty of huge multi-million dollar homes. The oil smell still lingers in the air for a good part of the summer and occasional smells throughout the year. Yuck.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 23rd, 2013, 01:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I was thinking that too Marko , I sold a condo and one reason was a high voltage power line was going up right over our roofs . I did not want my daughter living with that over her head.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 08:31 PM

Yah I read up on the studies and Im wasn't concerned about me but more about the static/noise vs animals.

I decided to stay in the curre nt house for now (rental). The basement will be free so am thinking now a 24/7 webcam for the cats room downstairs. I have 7 cats atm the wife is taking 2 (yah thats a whole another story lol but we are staying together )