Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old February 26th, 2008, 12:28 PM

Question German Pinscher/Manchester Terrier - What's your take on these 2 breeds?

Hello!

Ok... As I am researching - slowly but surely - about the next breed I will own (or be owned by should I say), I've discovered a breed I did not know of: the German Pinscher!

Since I loved almost everything about my Doberman, such as her temperament, intelligence, self assurance, loyalty, etc., etc., and after reading a lot on the German Pinscher, it seems that breed could be a good compromise to getting another Dobie! I want to downsize a little, that's why I'm looking into medium-size dogs.

But then, there's the Manchester Terrier... As you can tell, I'm really fond of both of these breeds' appearance - as they strongly remind me of the Doberman's looks - which I am sold on!

Anyway, does anyone own, know, have insight on these 2 breeds?

Thanks so much in advance!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

2005-... - Gorgeous blue merle Australian Shepherd (since June 2008)
R.I.P.
1980-1996 - My first dog - Welsh Terrier
1994-2006 - My beloved Chloe - Doberman
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

i have 5- min pins, very high energy, like the manchester, do your home work they are not for everyone !!they need walks to burn them out ,there going like all the time great dogs m,i love them,get all the info you can and read about them, there tough little dogs! good luck keep us posted brenda and the pins.
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:35 PM

I have MinPins and a Dobe, I fostered a German Pinscher some time ago and you couldn't pay me to own one.... LOL It's the one pinscher I am not keen on. I would rather a Manchester personally.
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Senior Contributor

mia is right, min pins will give you your hands full, but with what i know and have seen!! manchester,s are a real hand full, just do your homework and you will know, lots of people jump on these breeds and just dont know what there getting in too, we have had a good few pins come into rescue and a few manchester, people say too much trouble!! good luck brenda and the pins.
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:22 PM

Hi...We've had a Manchester Terrier for 7 years, unfortunately she has been missing for over 9 months now

Manchesters are very energetic dogs and love to bark at anything and everything. They also like to run and are prone to taking off for no apparent reason. They are very fast, that why Billie is still out there somewhere, I couldn't catch up to her when she was spooked from our backyard.

They are loyal and love to cuddle under a blanket or near a heat vent. Billie was always by our side and was very protective of our 3 kids. She didn't like it when they were loud but followed them around constantly, especially when they were eating. She didn't shed very much and always had a shiny coat.

I don't know where you are but there are only a couple of breeders in Ontario. I found a few Manchesters on petfinders, mostly in the States. You should check out the CMTC or AMTC websites (Canadian and American Manchester Terrier Club) to get more information about the breed.

I would definitely get another Manchester but we are that Billie finds her way home.
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:27 PM

Oh SIL I pray your little one comes home.....
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I can't remember if the German pin came first or the manchester, but one certainly had a good deal involved in creating the other. I think the german pin is a little heavier boned. I know nothing about their personalities.....talk to some breeders and see what they think of their breeds. They should be able to tell you their good and bad points.

Cindy
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:39 PM

Most of the GP's I have known have been slightly neurotic and stand offish with strangers. Manchester, high energy but funny and more social. Just a quick observation.
Old March 10th, 2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gang View Post
i have 5- min pins, very high energy, like the manchester, do your home work they are not for everyone !!they need walks to burn them out ,there going like all the time great dogs m,i love them,get all the info you can and read about them, there tough little dogs! good luck keep us posted brenda and the pins.
I was also thinking of Min Pins, but after reading what you said, I think they could be too high energy for me. Therefore, if the Manchester is a really active dog inside, may not work for me as well... I will indeed keep you posted!

I've been gathering lots of info on the German Pinscher, and I hope I'll be able to meet one/some in a near future, to get a better feel of their personality!

R.I.P.
Old March 10th, 2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA View Post
I have MinPins and a Dobe, I fostered a German Pinscher some time ago and you couldn't pay me to own one.... LOL It's the one pinscher I am not keen on. I would rather a Manchester personally.
Thanks for you insight! But as with all breeds, I'm sure (or hoping) all German Pinschers are not as "difficult" as the one you fostered?!

R.I.P.
Old March 10th, 2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIL View Post
Hi...We've had a Manchester Terrier for 7 years, unfortunately she has been missing for over 9 months now

Manchesters are very energetic dogs and love to bark at anything and everything. They also like to run and are prone to taking off for no apparent reason. They are very fast, that why Billie is still out there somewhere, I couldn't catch up to her when she was spooked from our backyard.

They are loyal and love to cuddle under a blanket or near a heat vent. Billie was always by our side and was very protective of our 3 kids. She didn't like it when they were loud but followed them around constantly, especially when they were eating. She didn't shed very much and always had a shiny coat.

I don't know where you are but there are only a couple of breeders in Ontario. I found a few Manchesters on petfinders, mostly in the States. You should check out the CMTC or AMTC websites (Canadian and American Manchester Terrier Club) to get more information about the breed.

I would definitely get another Manchester but we are that Billie finds her way home.
Hi SIL,

I read about your story a while back and I'm so sorry Billie has not find her way home...

Thanks a lot for your input, I appreciate it very much! I'm located near Ottawa, Ontario. I will look to find a breeder in my area, if only to meet some of his/her Manchesters.

But I must say, the GP seems better suited to what I'm looking for at this point. But I'm doing my homework! I really want to make the right choice for me and my new doggy!

R.I.P.
Old March 10th, 2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
I can't remember if the German pin came first or the manchester, but one certainly had a good deal involved in creating the other. I think the german pin is a little heavier boned. I know nothing about their personalities.....talk to some breeders and see what they think of their breeds. They should be able to tell you their good and bad points.

Cindy
I've been doing just that.... talking to some breeders... Yes, the GP is a little heavier boned than the Manchester. Also, from what I've read and heard, the Manchester has more of a true Terrier temperament (I know, it's a Terrier after all) and the GP is more of a working type-of-dog... Also, the GP is included in the origins of the Doberman Pinscher, the Miniature Pinscher, Affenpinscher, Miniature Schnauzer, Giant Schnauzer, and the Standard Schnauzer. As the name would suggest the German Pinscher is believed to have been bred in Germany and have descended from early European herding and guardian breeds. The breed nearly became extinct after the World Wars. Not clear if the GP is linked to the Manchester Terrier breed somehow though... And vice-versa. See below.

A bit of info on the Manchester Terrier... In the 1500's, black and tan descendants of the rough-coated English Terrier were used to assist hounds in going to ground and digging out the quarry. During the sixteenth century the Manchester district of England was noted for two “poor man’s sports”, rat killing and rabbit coursing. On into the 1800's, during the industrialization of England, small terriers such as the Black and Tan were helping to control rats, mice, weasels and foxes. In order to produce a dog that would succeed at both, an Englishman named John Hulme mated a female Whipped with a crossbred dark brown male dog known for its rat-killing ability. This produced the Manchester Terrier. For a time, he was referred to as the Black-and-Tan Terrier but the name of Manchester Terrier was reestablished for the breed in 1923. It was appreciated for its keen sense of smell and hearing, its loyalty and protectiveness, and its stable temperament. The Standard Manchester is one of the forefathers of the Doberman, and many people believe that they are diminutive versions, but this is not the case. These remarkable qualities made the Manchester a popular pet and watch dog as well.

Thanks!

R.I.P.
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:13 AM

Lili...Good luck in finding the pup that's just right for your lifestyle.
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIL View Post
Lili...Good luck in finding the pup that's just right for your lifestyle.
Thanks so much! I really hope Billie will find her way home...

Thanks again!

R.I.P.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:59 PM

I Love German Pinschers and have one!

Hey Lili,
This is the first time I have posted anything here. I saw you were interested in German Pinscher and Manchester terrier. I don’t know very much about the Manchester terrier but I have done extensive research on GP and Doberman. I have had my GP for 12 years now and know the bread very well. To be honest I probably got the toughest one in the litter. Either way, I live in Ottawa or if you have any question concerning temperament and behavior I would love to help you out.
Just so you know they aren’t little Doberman, they are the original breed and have not been bread for temperament. Lois Doberman based use the GP as the foundation for the Dobby because of its natural guard dog instincts. At home and on your property you couldn’t ask for a better guard dog. You will have to be careful with strangers. Off your property very different and nothing to worry about unless you are they are provoked by stranger, other wise very friendly and playful with other dogs and nice to strangers when not at home. When I got mine he was the 90th in Canada. I will probably be upsizing to a dobby as they are more social than GP but you will not find a more handsome, loyal, intelligent or protective Dog of you and your family anywhere.
As I said I would love to chat so if you are interested I can give you my email and if you wanted to meet mine (Bay) since we are both in Ottawa I think it could help you decide.

Have a great day
Old March 29th, 2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew F View Post
Hey Lili,
This is the first time I have posted anything here. I saw you were interested in German Pinscher and Manchester terrier. I don’t know very much about the Manchester terrier but I have done extensive research on GP and Doberman. I have had my GP for 12 years now and know the bread very well. To be honest I probably got the toughest one in the litter. Either way, I live in Ottawa or if you have any question concerning temperament and behavior I would love to help you out.
Just so you know they aren’t little Doberman, they are the original breed and have not been bread for temperament. Lois Doberman based use the GP as the foundation for the Dobby because of its natural guard dog instincts. At home and on your property you couldn’t ask for a better guard dog. You will have to be careful with strangers. Off your property very different and nothing to worry about unless you are they are provoked by stranger, other wise very friendly and playful with other dogs and nice to strangers when not at home. When I got mine he was the 90th in Canada. I will probably be upsizing to a dobby as they are more social than GP but you will not find a more handsome, loyal, intelligent or protective Dog of you and your family anywhere.
As I said I would love to chat so if you are interested I can give you my email and if you wanted to meet mine (Bay) since we are both in Ottawa I think it could help you decide.

Have a great day
Well, welcome to this forum!!! Lots of great people and great info to be found here!

If you're interested in seeing my Dobie, go to this link: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32498

She was the perfect dog really! I still miss her very much!

Wow! Am I ever glad and surprised that you have a GP and live in Ottawa!!! Yay!!! Yes, I know the GP was used in developing the Doberman. May I ask where you found your GP, from what breeder you got him 12 years ago? My Doberman was from a very stable line, therefore, It's really important for me that my next dog comes from a reputable breeder that has the improvement of the breed in mind.

Could you maybe post some pics of Bay? I'd love to meet him (and you of course) at some point.

Cheers!

Lili

R.I.P.
Old April 24th, 2008, 11:33 AM

Bay

Hey Andrew!

Not sure if you're still on this forum?! Do you have pics of your GP you could post? How's he doing?

Hope to hear from you!

Cheers!

Lili

R.I.P.
Old June 7th, 2008, 09:49 PM

I also have a GP. I would love to own another one once this one "Kayla" who is now 10 years old has passed away.
She is everything that Andrew has described and more. Very protective at home, stands up to any of my Rottweilers and puts them in line. She is a snuggle bug, very loyal, great watch dog, and lovely to look at.
My husband and I love her to death.
If you are comfortable with Dobies you will love the GP.
Old June 7th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Senior Contributor

i have to agree with you!!!! i have yup 5 min pins all rescues and they hold there own big time!!!!! brenda and the pins..
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:26 PM

sorry took me so long!

Hey Lili,
I didnt set up my account right! but now i will know of postings. I cant seem to post pictures here. Any suggestion? I made icon Bay but cant seem to put his pic in a post.
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Senior Contributor

You have to post a few more times before including pictures (a rule set up to block spammers). So keep posting (not necessarily in this thread) and we look forward to seeing pics of your dog.
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:04 PM

Well that makes sense.
Old June 30th, 2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Hey Lili,
I didnt set up my account right! but now i will know of postings. I cant seem to post pictures here. Any suggestion? I made icon Bay but cant seem to put his pic in a post.
Hey Andrew!

Glad to see you're back! What a cutie Bay seems to be! I actually decided to adopt an adult dog recently, but I'm not sure it's going to work out. She used to live with lots of dogs and I think my household is way too quiet for her... Poof thing seems depressed and not adjusting well at all.

Whatever happens, I'm always curious to learn on other breeds, and as Manchesters and German Pinschers were at the top of my list, I'm all ears (or should I say eyes) if anybody has more insight!

Lili

R.I.P.
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:29 PM

Well I am able to post pics so here are a few! Let me know if you have any other questions. Some else posted if you had a dobie you can handle a GP. I would beg to differ. Only if you had a very dominant dobie who was very untrustworthy of strangers could it compare. The breed is more of a working Dog than a Pet although they are being bread for temperment they are way behind compared to the Dobs. They are big sucks and love the family and will extremly attached to you if you get one. To the point that they can be very upset if you leave them for more than a few hours (like going to work). If ever you go away for the weekend when you return, well Bay would be pissed for at least 3 days! Wouldnt look me in the eye.
If you get one key is to do training as early as possible and to ensure dominance putting them on their back as much as possible when they are puppies. I got bay at almost 7 months and he lacked alot of social training which is why he was a bit more difficult to work with.

On the other side they are simply brilliant dogs. To the point that Bay would break out of his crate as a puppy if i didnt put an additional clip on it to keep it closed.

Hope to hear from you soon!
Let me know what you think of the pics.
Old July 18th, 2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Well I am able to post pics so here are a few! Let me know if you have any other questions. Some else posted if you had a dobie you can handle a GP. I would beg to differ. Only if you had a very dominant dobie who was very untrustworthy of strangers could it compare. The breed is more of a working Dog than a Pet although they are being bread for temperment they are way behind compared to the Dobs. They are big sucks and love the family and will extremly attached to you if you get one. To the point that they can be very upset if you leave them for more than a few hours (like going to work). If ever you go away for the weekend when you return, well Bay would be pissed for at least 3 days! Wouldnt look me in the eye.
If you get one key is to do training as early as possible and to ensure dominance putting them on their back as much as possible when they are puppies. I got bay at almost 7 months and he lacked alot of social training which is why he was a bit more difficult to work with.

On the other side they are simply brilliant dogs. To the point that Bay would break out of his crate as a puppy if i didnt put an additional clip on it to keep it closed.

Hope to hear from you soon!
Let me know what you think of the pics.
Hey!

Thanks so much for your insight! My Dobe was actually a gem, so maybe a GP would be more of a challenge than she could have ever been! But nonetheless, I think I could manage...

Hum, am I blind? I don't see any pics!

Lili

R.I.P.