Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 30th, 2003, 01:18 PM

Question Dog crates

Hello everyone!
I'm new to the group! We just brought home a Siberian Huskey puppy last week. He is 7-weeks old. We have introduced him to his new crate and tried to follow all the steps, but we're having a problem. He does fine in the crate at night (it's right next to the bed). In fact, each night he's sleeping a little longer between potty breaks. He even does OK during the day if one of us is in the same room. But, if we leave him alone he just cries and howls. We had to go out the other day and we were gone too long. It was our fault. He had an accident in his crate, the only one so far. I'm just worried because I have to go back to work next week and I don't know how he's going to go a half day in the crate by himself.
Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Brandy
Old December 30th, 2003, 01:48 PM

a good idea might be to get a couple of age appropriate toys and don't give it any water for at least an hour before you leave and make sure to put it out for 5 min.s
Old December 30th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Welcome to dog ownership

Husky's will do this a lot, hey wait until you get a full moon! haha

The pup is very young and still in need of a lot of attention. It's missing mom and it's litter mates and is all of a sudden in a crate alone.... so you can understand the separation anxiety.

Give it time, give pup a LOT of attention.

Take an alarm clock regular old tic toc loud clock and wrap it up in a towel and put it under the pups bedding in the crate. The tic toc will remind the pup of the sound of it's mothers heart beat. This may help out some. Just make sure there is NO removable knobs on the clock.

Good luck
Old December 31st, 2003, 12:15 AM
Chocolate

make sure that the crate, at this time, is only large enough for him to stand, stretch, and rotate in. Otherwise he's going to poop on one end and sleep in the other. Dogs shouldn't poop and sleep in the same area. By reducing the space, he will learn much more effective BUT please be efficient. He CAN only hold his bladder for so long... 4 hrs tops, I think... right?

another prob he might have is separation anxiety... encourage him to wander into another room with a favourite toy of his... send him off into the backyard and peek through the doorway or a window to see how he's getting along... but start off slow, 20 seconds... 35... . 50 seconds... lol, I hope u get my drift.

Old December 31st, 2003, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Congradulations on your new little puppy.My sister has 3 Siberians.Do you know what your getting into with this breed?LOL..I agree with Luba about the clock.That is very helpful.Also a radio is good too.But to be honest,I don't quite agree with what wAggie said.I would not let a 7 week old puppy go out in the back alone.That's just my opinion.You want to be out there at all times with them.You will also need to start early basic training.This is a hard headed breed.Thick as a brick.LOL....Give him lots of love.And please be patient with him.There are a lot of good books out for this breed.Have you picked any up?You will need lots of info to help you.So what is this little sweeties name.My sisters dogs are Sydney,Kelly and Amanda.She also has a Border Collie Abagail.Abby for short.Keep us posted.

Also,is there anyway someone could come and check on him when you go back to work?I have heard 4 hours is the most they should be crated.
Old December 31st, 2003, 08:49 PM
Senior Contributor

7 weeks old is too young to leave mom, but what's done is done. The crying is normal - he is lonely and misses his littermates.

At this age, he has very little bladder and bowel control, so needs to be taken out every few hours, or he will mess his crate. The more often he is allowed to mess in the house, the more this behavior is reinforced. I don't consider this a "problem" - I consider it expected and normal behavior from such a young puppy,just as it would be with a human infant.

If he potties in the house, it's your fault. You will just have to stay home more for now, or be more vigilent in watching him. It's going to be a long time until he is completely reliable in the house, but you knew that already, right?
Old December 31st, 2003, 09:59 PM

Thank you all for the helpful info. and suggestions. Yes, we have read books on Huskeys and lots of info on the Internet. We've also gone through a puppy book.
I know it was my fault that he messed his crate the other day and that's why I felt so awful. We had planned it out so that we could be out and back before he needed to go and circumstances beyond our control kept us out longer.
We will definitely not be leaving him for the whole day. I know I could never expect him to hold it that long. I'm a teacher and we start back to school on Monday. My plan is to come home at lunch to let him out for a while.
We also made his space smaller which seems to be helping already. The last couple of days he's been going in and out of the crate on his own and he hasn't been crying when he wakes up. I go to check on him and find him playing with his toy.
Thank you again for all the helpful hints,
Brandy
Old January 1st, 2004, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

It was just a mistake.Please don't feel bad or put yourself down.It happens.We are only human and learn from our mistakes.

If you get a chance,post a pic of him.
Old January 1st, 2004, 07:10 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

YUP

everyone learns

We'd love to see a picture
Old January 2nd, 2004, 01:25 PM

Thank you!
I've tried adding a picture, but it keeps saying the file is too big. Sorry,
Brandy
Old January 2nd, 2004, 04:54 PM

I just thought I'd share some successes with you! Today Cody went right into his crate, all by himself, to take a nap!!! Then I ran out to a doctors appointment and came back to find him playing with his Nylabone, not making a single whimpering sound! WOW!!! I think we're getting somewhere! I was just getting so worried that he didn't like the crate, but I think he's starting to get used to it.
Brandy
Old January 2nd, 2004, 06:45 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Very very good thats great stuff

Keep it up
Old January 3rd, 2004, 07:28 PM
Chocolate

yup, you're right.

7 wks sounds a bit young to be outside alone... do that a few months down the line... I think.

lol.
Old January 4th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes you can do that months down the line.But just not for long.

That's great Cody'smom.Things just take time.
Old January 4th, 2004, 08:39 AM

That's great. I was going to suggest putting the radio on or tv on but hay you got him to stop whining. I'm a little late for this one.

Keep up the good work!

I agree wait till he's older before you leave him outside by himself. Just be careful when you leave him outside by himself, theres alot of stupid people in the world. Not trying to scare you, just want to warn you. I had a husky when I was 18. i left her outside while I put my groceries away (approx. 15min) i went to bring her back insider and she was gone, leash and all. I called the pound their line was busy. When I did get in touch w/them they told me that they have her and i have to come down and verify that she's mine. They said they got a call from someone saying she was tied to a stop sign on the road. The person who dognapped her apparently knew who i was. They gave the shletler my name, phone number and address, and told the shelter what my dogs' name was. So just be careful please. Husky's are beautiful dogs.
Old January 21st, 2004, 03:00 PM

Smile 7 wk old huskey

I always leave my stereo on when I go to work each day. The dogs seem to like it and so does my bird! Choose a station that plays calm, soothing music. Easy listening. Good Luck!
Old February 1st, 2004, 03:16 PM

Smile

Hi I am also a new member.
Both of my dogs were housetrained using the crate. I found it was really important in the early stages to learn to ignore any whining, the last thing you want to do is let it out of the crate when the dog is whining. (it can be hard). If they happened to be whining and I wanted to let them out I just sat down and waited for a pause in the whining. I also always made a point of NOT going to the crate for a few minutes after I came home or woke up in the morning, that way my dogs were not getting their way from whining and they learned to give me a few uninterupted minutes when coming in the house. Crate training really works well and if you always say "Go to your place" when putting them in there pretty soon they will go there when you use that command. Really handy when someone comes to the door! It is worth the effort in the beginning for the payoff later. Good luck!!
Old February 1st, 2004, 04:13 PM

Bell ringing

Hi! My family also has a husky, who is now 12 years old and in great shape (he just had surgery to remove a tumor, but other than that, still strong as an ox)!
Just wanted to share something we tried with him and our husky before him. We actually hung a bell beside our back door, and trained him to ring it with his paw if he ever had to go outside, whether to run around or to do his business. He was fully trained on this by about 6mos. It was wonderful - our house is larger, sometimes no one would be by the backdoor, but we could certainly hear the bell! It worked really well!