Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 12th, 2005, 07:38 PM

fasting

What is you opinion on fasting your dog? This seems to be a semi common practice amongst those practicing raw food or other 'healthy' diets. Some say to fast your dog once a week. Some say once a month or once every 2 weeks or so.

Do you do this. How often? Are there really any health benefits?

I don't think I could fast my dog for a day simply because then our walks would be horrendous with him sniffing everywhere for something to eat, but it's an interesting concept.
Old April 12th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Senior Contributor

the only time i have ever refused my dog food is when he had the runs pretty bad and the vet told me to keep his food up for 8 hours.

to me I think it would be inhumane to refuse a pet food during their regular mealtimes unless there was a medical reason they needed to be starved.

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old April 12th, 2005, 07:46 PM

No thanks. Like eleni said, I only fast my doggies to clean out their systems if they are vomiting or have diarrhea.
Old April 12th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Senior Contributor

That sounds very unhealthy. It certainly could be lethal in a cat!! Who on earth came up with the idea of fasting in a dog? Maybe prior to surgery certainly - but I would not do it!
Old April 12th, 2005, 08:11 PM

I think the theory behind it is that wolves/coyotes don't eat every day, so neither should your dog.

Personally, I don't feed a raw diet (mainly because I'm too lazy, and I heard it's very expensive). Even if I did, I most certainly wouldn't fast my dog. Aside from the health questions, and the walking issues, and the fact that she steals food when we're not looking so it wouldn't work anyways ... how fair would it be to starve her every couple of days while she watches me eat my three square meals??
Old April 12th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I don't think fasting your dog would be very nice. Besides wouldn't that make your dog more of a glutten when you do feed him? and he would eat really fast if he hasn't eaten in a while (doesn't that increase the chance of bloat?)
and may even make him food aggressive.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 12th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I just couldn't imagine fasting the dogs I have had - Beagles, mini Dachshunds or an American Eskimo - all little gourmands - except when ill of course. And today, with so much treat based training, it would be even worse. No way could I handle the look in their eyes - it is a miracle my guys were never overweight - vet still can't figure that - either can I knowing what they ate - just the "worry" about their next meal must have worked off those calories. Easier to "fast" my husband.
Old April 12th, 2005, 11:40 PM

It sounds so awful. Unless I was fasting once a week, then knowing what it was doing to the body, would I ever do that to a pet.
Old April 13th, 2005, 09:40 AM

Just did a google search to help me understand the proposed benefits of fasting. Here are some excerpts:

Another important component in feeding your dog a raw diet is the process of fasting. This age-old practice, used to aid digestion and cleanse toxins, is common among dogs in the wild. Although not essential to the well-being of your dog, we suggest fasting your adult dog one day per week, from breakfast to breakfast. The necessary amount of fasting time will vary from dog to dog. Be sure to provide plenty of fresh, purified water and extra love and attention to your companion throughout the fasting day.

http://www.primalpetfoods.com/canine/feeding_safety.htm

Juliette and many others insist that all animals should be given one day of fasting. The benefits are many and if you can overcome those big brown eyes begging you for food, this is a verified method of cleansing the system and truly is better for them in the long run. On the fast honey, grape juice, vegetable broth’s, or milky meals such as yogurt can be given.

http://www.naturalrearing.com/J_In_L.../FreshFood.htm

And here's a long article about the benefits of fasting in humans
http://www.tanglewoodwellnesscenter....EAA_09-02.html

There would have been more but I got stuck on an article explaining an easy way to feed raw food and I was trying to decide if I could do it without a deep freeze
Old April 13th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I dont think I could ever Refuse my dog his normal meals without real good reason, even when the vet told me to withhold food from sammy to clear up a tummy upset I worried the whole time that he was going to be hungry.

im lookign at it this way, I never willingly go 24 hours without food, and if i did id feed horrible.

how would my pet feel?

i think fasting a pet for non medical reasons would be just horrible

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old April 13th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Senior Contributor

i only managed to read the first link, i tried to read the others but my net connection is hit and miss today, gonna ahve to get my husband to look at my computer to see what is wrong

Eleni