Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old October 20th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Senior Contributor

New to this..

Hi

I have been reading tons of stuff on the net the past few nights,,staying up until the morning because it is so interesting. Confusing, overwhelming, but interesting!

I have started feeding willie 6 yrs old, and the 2 kids, O'Shawnnessy and Maribelle, 20 wks approx. real food.

Not raw,,, yet. Last night I gave them eggs. Kids loved it, Willie no go. He's been on dry food all his life so it is going to take a while to get him use to this as he doesn't even like canned food yet, but he is eating a bit more of it. About a teaspoon at a time.

Tonight I gave them some chicken chunks, not raw yet.Kids loved it, Willie nope.

Willie has IBS so he is on IAMS OS dry food and I'm trying to switch him over to the canned stuff. I know, it's not good. I tried Walmart's brand of turkey and giblets first, but he isn't crazy about that either. Kids love it again. He has been watching the kids eating the canned stuff and is getting use to the idea that he has to do a bit of biting at it, not licking it.

I was at a webiste for catnutrition.org and they mentioed the Feline Future's product, Instincts TC. So I went to find out what that is about too.

Has anyone tried the Feline Future's, Instincts TC? I think it will be easier for me to do the raw diet using that and I really want to try to do it.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old October 20th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Miliko

hi Tundra_Queen. it is normal that your dog Willie don't want to eat anything natural, because as you said he's been on dry food all his life. hope Wilie will never stay hungry

Last edited by Ford; October 20th, 2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: no self-promo
Old October 20th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by miliko View Post
hi Tundra_Queen. it is normal that your dog Willie don't want to eat anything natural, because as you said he's been on dry food all his life. hope Wilie will never stay hungry
Willie is our 6 yr old cat. *S* I'm just trying to get all 3 felines on raw at this time.

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
Hi

I have been reading tons of stuff on the net the past few nights,,staying up until the morning because it is so interesting. Confusing, overwhelming, but interesting!

I have started feeding willie 6 yrs old, and the 2 kids, O'Shawnnessy and Maribelle, 20 wks approx. real food.

Not raw,,, yet. Last night I gave them eggs. Kids loved it, Willie no go. He's been on dry food all his life so it is going to take a while to get him use to this as he doesn't even like canned food yet, but he is eating a bit more of it. About a teaspoon at a time.

Tonight I gave them some chicken chunks, not raw yet.Kids loved it, Willie nope.

Willie has IBS so he is on IAMS OS dry food and I'm trying to switch him over to the canned stuff. I know, it's not good. I tried Walmart's brand of turkey and giblets first, but he isn't crazy about that either. Kids love it again. He has been watching the kids eating the canned stuff and is getting use to the idea that he has to do a bit of biting at it, not licking it.

I was at a webiste for catnutrition.org and they mentioed the Feline Future's product, Instincts TC. So I went to find out what that is about too.

Has anyone tried the Feline Future's, Instincts TC? I think it will be easier for me to do the raw diet using that and I really want to try to do it.

Debbie
Hey! Good luck with your cats. They can be a bit tough to switch, and a bit picky about what they want to eat. My first cat, Sencha was a die hard dry lover when I got him. He wouldnt look at canned food, dry food was like crack for him! All was fine and dandy till he got crystals in his urine. I did a lot of research and found that it was due to the fact that I was feeding him a food that was a) dry and b) too high in carbs.

I first switched them cold turkey to canned food. Its a bit touch and go because there is a risk with cats that they develop fatty liver disease. This is a condition that occurs when the cat doesnt eat for a while and the cats body tries to use the fat for energy. It can cause major problems, but its usually more of an issue if the cat is overweight. But he was ok as he was eating a little bit. What probably helped his switchover process was that he was at the kennel that I worked at in boarding while he was recovering so there was someone there all the time to monitor him, and also so he could relearn to use the litter box. It was probably good that I wasnt around to give into his "starving cat" pleas

After he was done his antibiotics I switched them both to Instincts TC. I really liked the product, its easy and it takes the guesswork out of doing raw with cats. The only complaint I have is that it was getting pretty expensive, as the bag of supplements was $60 with shipping and then you had to buy the ground meat. So now, both cats get good qualtity canned food, that I can get for a good price and I supplement with chicken necks, eggs, yogurt, liver, salmon basically whatever I can get them to eat! Sorry for the book...but I've found that whenever I have questions on a subject its helpful to get as much info as possible!
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Tulip, I don't mind books.

I don't know where u live, but I did find the Instinct stuff expensive 49.00 + taxes, then shipping. I haven't ordered any yet.

I have been feeding the kids, canned Special Kitty Turkey and Giblets. It is suppose to be low in carbs. We only have Walmart and one grocery store here and the closest place to get Wellness is a 2 hr drive, one way from us. I'm am going to see if I can get a ride at the end of the month to pick some up, I don't drive.

I did try the trick of sprinkling a bit of parmasean cheese on Willie's canned food and cut up chicken chunks and he finally did eat it. He loved it with the parmasean cheese on it. Ate for a few minutes instead of 30 seconds.

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
Thanks Tulip, I don't mind books.

I don't know where u live, but I did find the Instinct stuff expensive 49.00 + taxes, then shipping. I haven't ordered any yet.

I have been feeding the kids, canned Special Kitty Turkey and Giblets. It is suppose to be low in carbs. We only have Walmart and one grocery store here and the closest place to get Wellness is a 2 hr drive, one way from us. I'm am going to see if I can get a ride at the end of the month to pick some up, I don't drive.

I did try the trick of sprinkling a bit of parmasean cheese on Willie's canned food and cut up chicken chunks and he finally did eat it. He loved it with the parmasean cheese on it. Ate for a few minutes instead of 30 seconds.

Debbie
Well it depends... Its probably about the price of feeding a good quality canned food. I found the bag of supplements lasted about 5 weeks for my two, though yours may eat less. If you can find a good source of cheap ground beef, chicken or turkey it could work out.

You have to be persistent when trying to switch over. I found with my cat because he was so addicted to canned it was best to get rid of the dry entirely and to keep presenting him with the wet. Eventually he got hungry enough.. Then when he started eating the wet I started mixing it with the raw diet.

Keep us updated
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com