Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old April 6th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Knight in Kitty armour!

abused cat rescued, for now

I posted this already, but a forums user advised me to start a new thread as the other one was old. I am looking for advise, but mostly just the support of other users.

Here is my story:

I came across this web page because I was looking for info about how to treat an abused cat.

Let me outline the circumstances around this story.

I have a neighbour who lives above me and owned a long hair black cat named Harley(didn't know this at the time, any of this). One morning I was awoken to noise outside my window from the balcony. I live on the 4th floor.
there was banging etc, but no other noise. When I went to my balcony door, I listened for a couple of minutes, then I heard a cat in distress making low growling noises. Then I heard a person say You B****, you're going over the edge!", in an angry, vindictive voice, and not one second later, the cat flew by me! I was shocked! I looked over the balcony and the cat was unconscious on the ground lying prone. I ran to get dressed and when I looked over the balcony again, the cat was lifting up it's head and trying to look around.

I ran downstairs to where the cat was, and it had moved under the hedge along the edge of the building. It was a nightmare capturing the cat and bringing it in. I didn't suffer any scratches, but got one hell of a bite on the end of my finger. I was using thinks winter glove for the process, but didn't think how strong a cats bite can be! Never been bitten that hard before, but I will live, with no lasting damage.

Apparantly it looks like Harley has sufferred more than one instance of abuse as his right ear lobe is crushed flat against his head. That is minor at this point, but I will have it looked at. Harley seems to be ok, he is moving around, not limping, but very cautious. He stayed under the couch for a full day, but is now out, but will go in behind the wall unit half the time, and comes out the other half the time. He is eating and drinking, but I have to have the patience of Job here because I have to clean up after him.

He will let me put treats in front of him, but he growls lowly and bares his teeth, but will eat the treats pretty much immediately. He is eating and drinking and I saw him cleaning. So for now I think the physical stress of any possible injuries is behind him as it has been 3 days now and he is only getting more active, not less. After talking to the vet, if he was injured internally, he would have expired pretty quickly.

I felt so useless and angry at this whole situation, and the police were no help as they believed the person who ownded the cat, not me irregardless of what I heard. That angered me more because I was told the cat would have to be returned! Well I know, the law is the law, and again it makes me feel powerless as Harley has to go back to this abusive owner. A friend of the owner was supposed to come around, but hasn't showed up. I pray to God that they don't.

I will be patient as I can and give Harley the space he needs for now and wait and see what happens. I know that cats do not like to be looked in the eyes and Harley won't look me in the eyes, except if I get to close and he hisses/growls and looks me in the eyes then. When I interact with him I try not to look him in the eyes and then I only glance.

I just need a place to be able to get this out in the open and have a place to vent, speel or whatever.

Thank you in advance for your support.
Old April 6th, 2010, 05:58 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

From me - moved from other thread..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Thank you for looking after this poor baby.
As for returning him.... can he suddenly disappear? Like in - "Oh sorry. I opened my door and he took off thataway. I couldn't find him when I looked." No animal deserves to be treated like that!!!
He doesn't use the litter box at all? Have you taken him to the vet or just phoned the vet? It sounds like this baby needs a good checkup. There may be medical reasons he is refusing to use a box. If you have taken him in for a complete check up and nothing is showing could you try keeping him in one small room with a bed, litter box, his food, a scratch post and toys? Not let him have the run of the house? That may give him the idea he needs to use the box.
Good luck. Stick around and let us know how it goes.
But there is no bloody way that cat would be going back to the loser who had him!
Quote:
I don't know if you noticed but this thread is a few years old. Jim did do a marvelous job with his girl. She is a happy, content kitty now.
You may want to consider starting a thread of your own. You will get more replies that way. And welcome to Pets.
From sugarcatmom - moved from other post.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
That is absolutely outrageous. Can you get the SPCA involved? What about a vet report (did you take him in to see a vet?). Why would the "owner" even want him back? If it were me, I would tell whoever comes to pick him up (if they even do) that Harley ran away. He should not go back there!!! The next incident could kill him.

Some tips to help you and Harley get acquainted can be found in this post:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ats#post492728

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Knight in Kitty armour!

Quote:
From me - moved from other thread..........

From sugarcatmom - moved from other post.......
I don't think there is a big issue with the litter box, probably just too sore. And he probably doesn't know where the litter box is. I just brought him in a couple of days ago, and I can't touch him to bring him to the litter box, so I will go out tomorrow and get another one and put it under his nose as it were.

I am sure it will be ok. Remeber, he was tossed off the 5th floor balcony.

Physically, I think he is ok. Just one damn lucky cat. If cat's have 9 lives, I think Harley just gave up 5....One for each floor! Just kidding of course.

The vet said to watch him and if there is any distress to bring him in. I see no indications of injury at all. He is eating, urinating....!!, moving about, just very shy and aloof, moving slowly, no limping or any other indication that I can see. He is extremely observant and watches our every move.

At this point I am not concerned about him physically, just his emotional, mental state, with which time will tell, I guess. Thanks for your concern.
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Kitty pimp

patience and treats took my girl DU 9 weeks tp come out from down under the bed Harly probably doesnt like thehuman race right now...
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:33 PM
-

I agree with sugarcatmom. First of all you need to put a complaint to the spca , with vet records. And , if the owner wants him back , well , the cat ran away and that's that.
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thank you so much for saving Harley's life. I am begging you to please not return the animal to this horrible person. Are you planning on keeping Harley if you can? If your not going to the vet at this point and are just trying to make him comfy then just let him be. He will come around. Like you said he has been through hell and of course you dont really know what Harley did to get the boot so to speak? it could have been something as simple as inappropriate urination of something?? We have so many members here that can offer you advise but right now just speak calmly to him and let him come around to you. If he is eating and drinking thats good. I would bring the litterbox xlose to Harley and see what happens..he may just be too scared.

Most importantly just sit on the ground and take some time and read? speak calmy and let him just read..I know it sounds crazy but it works!

Are you able to share a photo of Harley with us?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Knight in Kitty armour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Thank you so much for saving Harley's life. I am begging you to please not return the animal to this horrible person. Are you planning on keeping Harley if you can? If your not going to the vet at this point and are just trying to make him comfy then just let him be. He will come around. Like you said he has been through hell and of course you dont really know what Harley did to get the boot so to speak? it could have been something as simple as inappropriate urination of something?? We have so many members here that can offer you advise but right now just speak calmly to him and let him come around to you. If he is eating and drinking thats good. I would bring the litterbox xlose to Harley and see what happens..he may just be too scared.

Most importantly just sit on the ground and take some time and read? speak calmy and let him just read..I know it sounds crazy but it works!

Are you able to share a photo of Harley with us?

Cindy
Thank you for the concern, Cindy and other pet lovers. I just rescued Harley, so no pictures at this time. It has been about 2 and a half days.
I am not at home right now, as I leave at about 2 in the after noon and get back about 1 AM. My wife is there and I pass on the info I get to her.
I have been a cat lover all my life and have learned a thing or two over the years and I know abused or feral cats take a lot of patience. Lying near him, talking to him, getting down low, this is good info which in retrospec makes sense and I thank everyone for this advice. I don't know what will happen, but I told Thess that if someone comes to the door not to answer. If I am confronted, I will think of something.
I have forwarded all the info from you users to Thess as she is there more than I am because of her hours. She is there around 1:30 to 4, depending how busy her work is. Since I am the one who "rescued" him, I am not his best friend right now. I think because I wore thick black gloves, that helps me because he would see them as the bad thing, not my hands. But I don't see much difference between me and Thess. And she just informed me that he is lying at the foot of the bed inbetween the hamper and the bed, so after 2 and a half days, he is really making quick progress.
I think Missey is having a lot to do with that. Missey is my American Shorthair and she is a hoot. Love the little girl.

Jerry
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have not read the story behind this cat because at this point I just can't bare to . I do want to thank you for rescuing this poor soul and hope that you will be keeping this kitty and he and Missey will be best of buds .

You are absolutely correct about Missey being a huge help in re-socializing this cat. He will follow her leads and when he sees that she is not scared, he will be braver too.

You are his

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 7th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Have you not contacted the spca? They need to know. Do you know the neighbour who did this? Name? This person(s) need to be reported. They can put his name in a data that can make your local shelter and other shelters aware, so they will not be able to adopt an animal again. Also hopefully be charged with animal cruelty.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ACO22
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

I am going to say something that may 'rub the cat the wrong way' but I would NOT under any circumstances return this cat. I personally would get the cat the heck out of there.

Since cats are escape artist (without the help of a prick (oops sorry..did I say that???)) I am certain he can easily 'escape' from your open window.....
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

So now I read it . First off THANK YOU FOR SAVING THE CAT

I can't believe the cops told you this, what the owner did is illegal and the police should have investigated. Please call the OSPCA to report this.

Please do not return this cat, he will only endure further torture until he is dead.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilli1327 View Post
I felt so useless and angry at this whole situation, and the police were no help as they believed the person who ownded the cat, not me irregardless of what I heard. That angered me more because I was told the cat would have to be returned! Well I know, the law is the law, and again it makes me feel powerless as Harley has to go back to this abusive owner. A friend of the owner was supposed to come around, but hasn't showed up. I pray to God that they don't.
Hmmmmm, wonder if the police takes everybody's word as truth Sounds like a cop that couldn't be bothered doing a proper investigation.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 7th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Knight in Kitty armour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Hmmmmm, wonder if the police takes everybody's word as truth Sounds like a cop that couldn't be bothered doing a proper investigation.
Thank you everyone for your concern. I don't know about the SPCA, but I will look into it. Since the police have officially said to return the cat, the SPCA will have to honor that. I don't want Harley going back and I will wait it out. I don't need to be charged with obstruction, because that can happen. I have good knowledge of the law and the last thing I need is the fallout over this. I will do all in my power to see that Harley does not go back to the owner, and I already have an idea, but we will see. I am on the 4th floor so escaping out the windows is not an option.

Harley is very standoffish, scared, and mean right now, so I just have to wait. And I think he is a she! I can't check at this time, but Missey and Harley sit looking at each other and growling like crazy. I am sure that everyone knows how unspayed females get along! So I may have some thinking to do.

Again, thank you for your help everyone and I will keep you all apprised of the situation. Not having anyone coming around to collect Harley is ok by me.
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I think Kitty should "accidently" get out and run away never to be seen again.
"sorry mr Policeman, I was about to return him/her and I was bitten and the cat took off, last I saw it it was hightailing it down 5th avenue"!!
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your concern. I don't know about the SPCA, but I will look into it. Since the police have officially said to return the cat, the SPCA will have to honor that. I don't want Harley going back and I will wait it out. I don't need to be charged with obstruction, because that can happen. I have good knowledge of the law and the last thing I need is the fallout over this. I will do all in my power to see that Harley does not go back to the owner, and I already have an idea, but we will see. I am on the 4th floor so escaping out the windows is not an option.

Money talks - offer him a few bucks and I am certain they will be more than pleased to buy a case a beer rather than a bag of cat food.
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Senior Contributor

You need to contact the OPCA ASAP and file a report. Let the Investigator determine the level of cruelty. It might benefit the cat. They have to have proof and edvidance that this act is happening. Since you can't keep the cat, the spca need to know. But they should know anyhow. You can file a animal cruelty report. If this guy gets more complaints, it will be documented. The investigators will want to investigate.

Or you can give this cat is friend.family member who lives far enough, where know one will know.

ACO22
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Money talks - offer him a few bucks and I am certain they will be more than pleased to buy a case a beer rather than a bag of cat food.
BenMax...sadly people like these are sick and would want the cat back to "teach it a lesson".

ACO22
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
BenMax...sadly people like these are sick and would want the cat back to "teach it a lesson".

ACO22
Yep - I agree. But if someone wants to abide by the so called law, the police have absolutley no interest, the SPCA probably cannot do a darn thing about it, and people do not want to risk themselves getting in trouble by 'an escape of the cat'...then what other options are there?

If people want to do things legitimately..then maybe money would work. Who knows. All I know is that being in rescue, seeing the cruelty, no laws to protect animals...my way is not the 'right' way...but it is the only way to get an animal out of harms way. That's all I have to say about this subject. Like it or not.
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:27 PM

OSPCA knows cruelty laws better than police

Chilli1327, I agree - you & your wife ARE Knights in Kitty armour!

Thank you for rescuing this kitty in distress. I wonder if she might continue to be upset because she can still hear her abuser in the apartment above. We’ve had two female cats that didn’t get along (got one adopted out April 6, yay!), and have two others that tolerate each other. Might be good idea not to leave them alone together, especially if no one’s at home.

Re: Police knowledge of laws.
A couple of years ago, our neighbour’s cat was attacked by a dog (a small, pit bull type) that escaped from a vehicle on our street. The cat had to be euthanized. The police came & took the information. The officer told us his version of the local animal control by-law. When I looked it up online, the info there was different. My point is, the police don’t always know the laws. Try & find the info yourself.

There are many people, including some cops, who don’t care about the welfare of cats. IMO, the police you dealt with MAY have behaved differently if your neighbour had thrown a dog off his balcony.

I just went to the OSPCA site -http://ontariospca.ca/ & looked at some of the updated PAW Act (Provincial Animal Welfare Act) - Bill 50.

It may be worthwhile to speak with the OSPCA. You might already be aware of this, but there may be provincial cruelty laws the police don’t know how to enforce without the assistance of the OSPCA. I’m pretty sure the OSPCA can lay charges of their own, too. Perhaps someone there could advise you.

It might be worth your time if there’s a chance that they could possibly prevent him from owning any animals in the future. Since animal abusers often abuse people, if he gets charged with animal cruelty & he has kids, I think children’s aide should be notified.

Note: “The new Act… Establishes the right for the Society to keep a seized animal when charges have been laid and where there are reasonable grounds to believe the animal may be harmed if returned to its owner.”

http://ontariospca.ca/1-bill50.shtml

http://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/engli...fare/paws.html

Some info from the Provincial Animal Welfare Act

http://ontariospca.ca/1-bill50.shtml

“The Provincial Animal Welfare Act, came into force on March 1, 2009. This Act significantly updates the Ontario Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals Act, and marks the first wide-ranging changes to Ontario’s animal protection laws since 1919.

Changes include:

New Protection and Investigation Powers

The new Act:

-Creates standards of care for all animals. (Standards - http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sou...s_r09060_e.htm)

-Establishes the right for the Society to keep a seized animal when charges have been laid and where there are reasonable grounds to believe the animal may be harmed if returned to its owner.

New Provincial Offences include:

-Causing or permitting distress to an animal.
-Failing to comply with standards of care for all animals.
-Obstructing an OSPCA inspector or agent.
-Making a knowingly false complaint to the OSPCA.

Mandatory Reporting - Requires veterinarians to report suspected animal abuse or neglect and protecting them from personal liability for doing so

Coordination with Municipal Authority - In the event of a conflict between the OSPCA Act and a municipal by-law, whichever provision affords the greatest protection to animals would take precedence.”

See http://ontariospca.ca/ - “Report Animal Cruelty” if you want to contact them.

(Animal abusers make me so angry I practically foam at the mouth!

I’d like to see all animal abusers charged, including those who abandon pets or don’t look for lost ones. If it was up to me, they’d all have to wear a sandwich board saying “I’ve been charged with animal cruelty” & do mandatory community service, including lecturing against animal cruelty at schools.)

I really wish you all the best.

We can be part of the problem or part of the solution. Inaction is part of the problem.
Please advocate for animals.
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Knight in Kitty armour!

Thanks again for the support and information.

Just to update everyone on the situation, Harley was taken by the super and the owner. I had no control over this and I wasn't home. The buildings super saw me rescue Harley and that is how I found out his name. Unfortunately the super knows the owner and of course took HER side. She knew I had Harley. I will look into what else can be done, because I believe you are right. An abused animal will be abused again.
Thanks again
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's bad news, chilli I hope you won't need to step in again!

that Harley stays safe now! Maybe knowing there's someone watching will make his owner think twice about doing such a despicable thing again!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 15th, 2010, 09:03 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:

Just to update everyone on the situation, Harley was taken by the super and the owner. I had no control over this and I wasn't home. The buildings super saw me rescue Harley and that is how I found out his name. Unfortunately the super knows the owner and of course took HER side. She knew I had Harley. I will look into what else can be done, because I believe you are right. An abused animal will be abused again.
Thanks again
Next time it happens, and it will, PM me. You are not that far away from me. Harley won't be found here.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:

Thanks again
This is very disturbing, can't you call the SPCA and at least have them have a vet check the cat over? I'm sure that they will see he has been abused and therfore remove him form the A$$hole owner........who I hope falls off his balcony!!
So the super is involved in cruelty to animals too then!!! he witness te cat in distress and did NOTHING.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:42 AM
-

If the Super went into your apartment without your knowledge, that isn't allowed.......Please file a report with the OSPCA, it is irrelevant that it happened some days ago.
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Please file a report with the OSPCA, it is irrelevant that it happened some days ago.
It hasn't been done already ? Please call the spca and file a complaint !

And now the cat is back at the abuser ... oye ...
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Knight in Kitty armour!

Well, I don't know about the super, except her and I are not on the best of grounds. I tend to speak my mind sometimes, even when I shouldn't. I do hope Harley is ok, but it is out of my hands, and I have not heard from the SPCA. I went through their email process and I am waiting to hear back from them. Thess was at home when the super came to get Harley, and since Thess was put on the spot, she let her in and take the cat.

Since the police said I had to make sure Harley was returned to the owner, well I guess that is that.

Honestly, I have never come across animal abuse before like this any way. I have seen dogs tied up on short leashes in the sun, not enough food/water etc, but other than that, no. And after Harley, I hope I never do. I think the vast majority of pet owners are good conscionable owners and abuse is few and far between. I least I wish it so.

Thank you everyone for all your support as I really appreciate it.

On a good note, Missey is doing well and is as crazy as ever. She does weird and wonderful things and is well adjusted. She plays like a kitten all the time and sometimes, she gets on this tear and will run from room to room as if the hounds of hell are on here heals and she puffs out her fur like a big fur ball and she is an American Shorthair, so you can imagine what this looks like! lol!!

She does this strange thing where she will go to the corner of the couch, stand on her back feet, grab the top of the arm and look back over her neck all around, upside down and give this weird meow growl as if to say, "Wow, the world looks really wierd upside down!"! lol!

And she will jump up on the back of my PC chair, peer around and look in my eyes as if to say, "What do you find so interesting in the big bright square thingy?"! (that is my PC monitor by the way!).

She makes me laugh every day and is just such a hoot. And you should see how she goes crazy over the lazer pointer! Best cat toy I ever bought!
Old May 5th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Kitty pimp

ty for the update, at least he knows he is being watched

wising harlylots of luck

arent laser tags amazing?
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Please CALL the spca and not email. Or better yet, go in and speak with an investigator. They can open a file on this person, and keep track of compliants or if they get any more complaints. I have to admit, that I find it a bit odd, that you seem so reluclant to contact the spca.
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:47 AM
-

Quote:
I have not heard from the SPCA. I went through their email process
As a rule the OSPCA will not contact the complainant if the information given is adequate.