Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 16th, 2004, 09:09 PM

Dogs wrestling each other okay?

Hey everyone! Over the past while, I've noticed that my dogs are wrestling with each other quite a bit. They do settle down when it's bed time but throughout the day they engage in these WWF style wrestling matches. The dogs no longer get overly aggressive (one problem solved) but they do spend a lot of time wrestling. The question is, should I let them burn off their energy with each other or should I exercise them more?
SoJu - Shi Tzu
Cafri - Pint Size Dalmation
Old December 16th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Senior Contributor

As long as they aren't hurting each other, and one dog is not being bullied or picked on when he doesn't want to play, let them have at it!

If you think it's getting out of hand, you can call a little time out for everyone to settle down a bit.
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Ditto to what Lucky said and here's my 2-cents.
All things in balance - if you are bothered by their constant play then you can intervene because the alpha has that right.
If they get in to the habit of wrestling all evening long then it will be tougher to stop them on the one evening you need to. I would allow it to go on for different intervals and then have them take a break for as long as you desire. Some nights they can play a lot and others not so much. It's the same as having your children play in the house all night long - some nights that's fine and other nights you need peace and quiet and they need to learn to entertain themselves without the rough and tumble.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old December 17th, 2004, 12:49 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound_Dog
they engage in these WWF style wrestling matches.
LMAO... When my dogs do this I call it "Let's get ready to Ruuuumble"
Old December 17th, 2004, 02:05 AM

They don't seem to hurt each other or let things get out of hand. I can help but laugh when the Soju is hiding underneath Cafri trying to play bite at his legs while Cafri tries to find Soju's tail to chew on. While all this is going on, KimBop and KimChi are racing up and down the hall chasing each other. Sometimes my fiancee feels like
SoJu - Shi Tzu
Cafri - Pint Size Dalmation
Old December 17th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor

yes,as long as no one is getting hurt or bullied it's ok.

Yukon and Tron had their bouts of "wrestling"..Heaven forbid you were walking around the house when this was happening,you would be apart of their match....LOL.

If they were getting out of hand,all I would say was "enough" boys,then they would stop.
Old December 17th, 2004, 11:24 AM

Charlie and Willy wrestle all the time.

Sometimes though I think that one of them is getting hurt because they will yelp... but neither one is being bullie.

I quite frequently call a time out, so that they calm down a bit, especially last night when they were getting dangerously close to the Christmas tree.
Old December 24th, 2004, 09:50 AM

Red face

Whinnie & Boo are constantly having little spats around the house. The only time I intervene is when I hear one of them yelp (usually Boo even though she is twice the size of Whin), or if I notice more and more teeth being used.
I don't know if that helps, I own 2 pitbulls and when I see too much teeth I stop it because they have a lot of playmates who are not pitbulls and some of their smaller friends can not take that kind of rough housing. I worry that they may play like that at the dog park & another owner who doesn't understand will scream "viscious....menacing". I always try to be careful with the teeth, but other then that I let them go at it. I love that they have so much fun together, that was the point of keeping Boo, so Whin would never be alone, and always had someone to play with.
2 Medium Haired All Black Cats:
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
"PIT-BULLS ARE LIKE POTATO CHIPS......YOU CAN NEVER HAVE JUST ONE"
Old December 27th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I worry that they may play like that at the dog park & another owner who doesn't understand will scream "viscious....menacing".
You are taking two adult pit bulls to a dog park?? And what will you do if Winnie or Boo (or both) decides she doesn't like what another dog did and kills it or severely injures it, which could happen in the blink of an eye?

You think those people who are screaming "Vicious" won't be screaming "BSL" when that happens and that all responsible owners (including me and others on this board) won't be hurt by this? Do you know your dogs could be taken away and killed?

What you are doing is extremely dangerous and irresponsible. NO pit bulls should be in dog parks ever, expecially in ON!

You should also not be leaving your dogs alone together and if you continue to do this, you may come home to a bloodbath one day.

Please read the following article from PBRC
pit bulls and dog parks