Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 30th, 2013, 03:55 PM

Renal Failure and Cat Grass

My cat is 15 years old and she has just been diagnosed with renal failure. The vet said that usually by the time it shows up on tests, the kidneys are 2/3 to 3/4 failed. This was about a month or so ago. We have her on a diet now that is specifically for feline renal failure as well as a vitamin powder and a phosphorus binder - all of which she is consuming with no problem. She does go outdoors but mostly is indoors. When she is outdoors, we are out there with her and she does not wander. She eats grass outside, which I understand is quite normal. I am wondering if anyone knows if she is allowed to have 'oat' grass. I have a message in to the vet but she is not back to the clinic until early next week and I am just looking for information while we wait, though I will wait for the vet's reply before I actually give my cat the grass. Thank you to anyone who may have some input. It will be much appreciated
Old March 30th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Totally fine for her to eat grass.

That prescription renal diet though, leaves a lot to be desired. There are much healthier options with way better ingredients (that won't cause muscle wasting like the low protein ones do), although most vets don't endorse them (probably cause they aren't making money off them). Do you know what her lab results (blood and urinalysis) are?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 31st, 2013, 04:02 PM

So, the oat grass is okay (as opposed to the outside grass)?

I was wondering about her having less protein...I'd like to look into that. Any tips on where to research "other options"?

Yes, I have her test results. Biochemistry: Urea is increased at 15.4 as is her creatinine at 319. Anion gap is 26.6. Haematology: White cell count 4.0 (decreased with normal 4.2-15.6) - she has always had low white cell count... Her hematocrit is 0.46. Decreased neutrophils and lymphocytes.

Her urinalysis showed sediment (moderate amorphous debris and transitional epithelial 1-5/HPF).

COMMENT:

CBC: Mild neutropenia - cells have mild toxic change. May support foci of pooling or increased tissue demand. Stress lymphopenia. HCT - dehydration. T4looks ok.

Urinalys: Isosthenuria.

Biochemistry: Renal azotemia.

Obviously there is much more on the results that I don't understand but these are the values which are out of normal range.

P.S. Thank you so much for your reply...
Old April 1st, 2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umashisha View Post
So, the oat grass is okay (as opposed to the outside grass)?
Have a look here
Old April 1st, 2013, 11:54 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

love those pics!! Makes me think I need a much larger cat grass growing pan!! My guys would appreciate that very much. Haha maybe a kiddie pool!!
Old April 1st, 2013, 03:28 PM

When it comes to eating grass I kind of side with SCM allowing the cat to eat grass. With that being said you don't want to do anything that's going to upset the stomach, or upset the stomach acidity especially with your cat suffering from renal disease. I'm enclosing a few websites that might be of interest to you to have look at. The first one is just an article on cat grass that is interesting reading. The following 2 deal with renal failure, foods and alternative medicines.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1823/

http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm

http://www.holisticat.com/

I hope these websites will shed some light on your problem, and hopefully some of the other members who have more experience in this than I have will add their comments too.

Regards the low protein, some of the vets are having 2nd thoughts on it. The vet that I am using for Jet's Renal Failure, handed me a can of prescription diet food and stated that she was not happy with the protein level in it, and suggested that I add some cooked chicken to it to increase the protein level.
Old April 7th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

after looking at those pics of the cat grass, I got myself a big foil lasagna pan and filled it with dirt and cat grass seeds!! Right now it's hidden in the back porch to germinate. I figure if I let Coco know before it's ready, he'd be beside himself wanting it. He gets excited enough about the small pans I've done! I promise to get pics of them enjoying themselves!