Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 2nd, 2012, 03:08 PM

Capstar vs flea bath?

I looked at the side effects of Capstar, and I didn't like them. I have a 14 year old cat that it's pretty good during flea baths. Is there a reason that Capstar is a better option, other than the convenience factor of not having to bathe him?
Old September 15th, 2012, 08:27 PM
The Neighborhood Cat Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu's mom View Post
I looked at the side effects of Capstar, and I didn't like them. I have a 14 year old cat that it's pretty good during flea baths. Is there a reason that Capstar is a better option, other than the convenience factor of not having to bathe him?
Huh, I'm not too sure (I have never used Capstar before) but a flea bath sounds like the better option to me. Could you possibly go with something safer, such as Revolution? I use Revolution on my feral Lucky all the time and he has never had any issues.
Old September 16th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I only use vet approved flea control on my cats (Revolution) so I, personally would stick to that. I've never heard of Capstar before.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 16th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittylover23 View Post
Huh, I'm not too sure (I have never used Capstar before) but a flea bath sounds like the better option to me. Could you possibly go with something safer, such as Revolution? I use Revolution on my feral Lucky all the time and he has never had any issues.
I gave my cats Brewers' Yeast tablets to help keep fleas off them, I had to hide the box as one cat loved to eat them like candy.
Old September 16th, 2012, 03:43 PM
The Neighborhood Cat Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I gave my cats Brewers' Yeast tablets to help keep fleas off them, I had to hide the box as one cat loved to eat them like candy.
LOL, that is a great idea, I will look into this further! Thanks!
Old September 16th, 2012, 04:38 PM

Smile

Capstar appears to be a US vet approved only thing. I wondered, when the topic was viewed so many times without answers. This is why I like coming to this website-we get so many professionals here that don't want us making informed health decisions! It is an oral drug that works for 24 hours only (from what the vet said), only killing living fleas. My cat has had a few vets fail giving him oral meds-that is more traumatic for him than a bath. Frontline is now working very well.

Thank you very much!
Old July 15th, 2013, 10:50 PM

I thought I'd let you all know....

Since I posted this topic, I did some research on the Capstar. What I found is the main ingredient in it is nicotine!

Recently, I bought generic Frontline, and it didn't work. We had the fleas all over again. I've managed to get Frontline Plus cheaper, through Ebay. HOWEVER, you really have to watch when you buy from there. People that say they are selling "kits" usually are selling generic Frontline Plus. I've discovered that you can buy the kind for larger dogs, 89-132lbs, and get 8 doses, but it seems to lose its potency after about 4 months. That works perfect for me, since it looks like my son and his cat, Abraham, 2 yrs old, are staying permanently.