Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 12th, 2009, 12:33 PM

Very nervous cat with FHV-1 ..again and again...

I know, she should have been vaccinated so I'll explain that first... she had a urinary infection and fever when we brought her for her annual vaccinations so they didn't give them to her and because of family situation, I completely forgot that I was to bring her back the next month so she's over a year late .... I know it's my fault but please don't hold this against me....I always vaccinate my animals.. but just this one time I didn't!!
The story is.... I had 2 cats, they were the best of friends, my neutered male died a few months ago so my spayed female 7 year old was an only cat for a while. I went to the animal pound and adopted a super friendly, very playful cat which I was told was a year old.. turns out he's just a large 6 months! Anyway, he had a URI... never really badly, sneezing, runny nose.. but then my older girl caught it.. she was very bad, eyes swollen, gasping, sneezing, runny eyes and nose, etc... it gets better (with antibiotics) but she seems to be scared to death of our new cat, he's extremely playful and runs around like a whacko... so, she's stressed out, so within a day or two of finishing the antibiotics, she starts sneezing again! They are both being given 500 mg L-Lysine twice a day.
I'm wondering if my older girl blames the new guy for her not feeling well (she's always gotten along with my old guy) or if it's because he's not neutered yet (had to wait til he was better and he goes in on Monday).
Would a spayed female cat be more fearful of an unneutered male cat than a neutered male? Any ideas how to let them 'start over'? And, how can I get my girl better when she seems always stressed out? I've tried massaging her but she's doesn't feel well and just doesn't want to be touched.. she was back to the vet again a few days ago as I was worried she was in pain but the vet found no signs of physical pain except for the URI... how do I get my cat to relax? Thank you
Old March 12th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Senior Contributor

The feline herpes vaccine isn't 100% anyway, so that might not have made much difference. Stress is actually the biggest factor, and a new cat in the house is most certainly stressful. Keeping your cat's immune systems as strong as possible is the best defense, and a strong immune system is closely related to what a cat eats. Feeding species appropriate, meat-based, low-carb wet food is the way to go. No kibble. More info here: www.catinfo.org

As for why your female is wary of the new guy, it probably has more to do with the fact that, well, he's the new guy (and also likely why more hyper than she's used to). Cats are naturally suspicious of newcomers. How did you introduce them? You might have to start over, keeping them in separate rooms for a few days at least. Here are some links on how to do it properly:
http://www.catsinternational.org/art...roduction.html
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/aggression4.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:54 PM

I've got some sad news... we had to say goodbye to our beautiful Nemo last week. She was quite ill again with the URI and conjunctivitis and was on antibiotics and an antibiotic eye ointment. Well, she disappeared for 3 days, couldn't find her anywhere.. didn't know if she ran out the door.. couldn't figure it out! Then one night I was sitting here after a long day of roaming the streets looking for her and I heard a faint weak meow... followed the sound to the basement wall... she had found a hole about the size of a doorknob.. still can't figure out how she got through it.. and went behind the sheetrock... we had to literally rip the wall down to get to her. Brought her to the vet and she was in terrible shape... she had gone blind and could barely breathe... we didn't have much choice but to euthanize her.. the vet said we could remove one of her eyes and sew the other one's third eyelid shut to try to save that one and keep her there for at least 1 week, or more... I knew she wouldn't be happy.. I couldn't put her through that! So, I held her while the vet injected her and she growled at me the whole time... I knew she was miserable... when she stopped growling and the redness faded from her eyes, I knew her pain was gone... RIP Nemo...
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Catlover2

So sorry for your loss, it's never easy. But at least you found Nemo and she had a peaceful passing and was finally free of pain. That in itself is some consolation, rather than wondering what happened to her.
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:50 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

sweet Nemo
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor

So very sorry for your loss.

Nemo - you were and aways will be loved.
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry for your loss. Very, very difficult decision to make

Nemo

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey