Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 24th, 2012, 06:57 PM

! Emergency ! My dog has a mamar tumor

I have a female german sheperd about 6-7 years old, never had any offspring. Some time ago I noticed a subcutane lump size of an egg near her nipple. I consulted veterinarian and he said it should be removed and she should be sterilised. I didn't do it than because it was very cold and we agreed to wait for better wether. Also I was reluctant to sterilize since I dislike this idea in general and belive even a dog wish to have offspring and they should be alowed to. Now the tumor is much bigger and she appears to be very weak. I am so scared. I am taking her tomorow but I still don't know should I sterilize her. I found an article in which they say there is no point in sterilizing an older dog in function of reducing tumor risk, and one that says that it is only done in order to be easier to notice reoccurence of the tumor. But I also found one that says that the dog with removed tumor should be sterelized because it is safer, and veterinarian said to me the same thing. I just wish to save my dog and alow her to have puppies at least one time. But if the risk is to great I will get her sterilized. I tried to find some statistics on the net but I failed. How big is the risk the risk for her to have another tumor if not sterilized. Please help me I am desperate.